October, 2006

Direct2Dell

The Official Dell Corporate Blog
  • Dell's Upgrade Program for Windows Vista

Last week, Microsoft announced plans for its Express Upgrade program which will enable consumer and small business customers to buy desktops and notebooks during the holidays and still be assured they can receive Windows Vista when it becomes available...
  • Xen & VMware: Different Approaches

In a previous post on virtualization , Direct2Dell reader John Oliver asked for a comparison between Xen and VMware . In this post, I’ll cover some of the differences in architecture behind these two virtualization products and how the technology is shaping...
  • The Common Information Model: Mapping the Computing Universe

In my previous posts , I have discussed several standards and technologies that are being developed to improve the manageability and serviceability of computer systems. One of the key technologies is a thing called the Common Information Model known as...
  • Grid Computing @ Oracle OpenWorld

Note from Lionel: My apologies in advance. The content that follows was part of our activities at Oracle OpenWorld. In working through technical difficulties earlier this week, I overlooked this blog and vlog from Logan McLeod. Since it involves some...
  • Dell Quake 4 Final Results

Like I mentioned in a previous post , last week we had the final match in the Quake 4 tournament in Austin, Texas. When the smoke cleared, Brent Beimeir defeated Aaron Randall in a best of five series of matches. At the updated Quake 4 Tournament page...
  • Michael @ Oracle OpenWorld

Yesterday afternoon, Michael gave a keynote at Oracle OpenWorld . In it, he discusses how Dell works with companies like Oracle to drive industry standards in the enterprise. He discusses the growth of industry standard servers vs. proprietary ones, and...
  • The Road to Global Standardopolis

I won't have Michael's keynote until tomorrow, but to tide you over, Michael kicked things off with this clip. I won't even try to give you an overview of what to expect, but the thumbnail is a good indicator. I give you "The Road to Global Standardopolis...
  • Dell's First 4-way Opteron Server

Since we launched the blog in July, several of you have asked for details on our first AMD Opteron servers. The first one that we launched today at Oracle OpenWorld, was the 4-way PowerEdge 6950 . It's built around the Opteron 8200 series of 64-bit...
  • Details on Dell's 2-Way Opteron Server

The second Opteron server we launched today at Oracle OpenWorld is the 2-way PowerEdge SC1435 . It utilizes AMD's Opteron 2200 family of processors (up to 2.8GHz). It supports up to 32GB of 667MHz DDR2 ECC SDRAM, and up to 1TB of internal storage via...
  • Dell and AMD @ Oracle OpenWorld

Michael made a brief initial appearance at Oracle OpenWorld in San Francisco this morning during the keynote from Hector Ruiz, chairman and CEO of AMD. This video, where Hector discusses the partnership between Dell and AMD, was part of his keynote. ...