September, 2006

Direct2Dell

The Official Dell Corporate Blog
  • Gaming PC vs. Consoles, Round 5

Gaming continues to be a hot topic and certainly one that I personally love to talk about. There is no bigger discussion topic in this area than the all-time favorite—PCs versus consoles. As we are in the midst of another new generation of consoles hitting...
  • Dell Updates Sony Battery Recall Information

Some of you may have seen our battery recall update this morning. When we announced the battery recall in August , we said that the affected batteries were cells manufactured by Sony. Based on new information we recently received from Sony, today we increased...
  • Dell Quake 4 Gaming Tournament

Since we launched the blog in July, I've received e-mails and comments from Direct2Dell readers that have asked what it's like to work at Dell, and to provide a bit of insight into Dell's culture. I thought this contest might be a good way to do it. ...
  • Simplifying Diagnostics with the Common Diagnostics Model

Another example of driving innovation through standardization is an initiative to simplify system diagnostics. Part of my work as President of the Distributed Management Task Force (DMTF) is to make sure the member companies work together to formalize...
  • Looking for a Few More Good Engineers

Earlier, Michael announced that we were hiring an additional 500 engineers in our Central Texas (Austin and Round Rock) product development centers. We're looking for engineers for all of our product lines—from desktops to servers, notebooks...
  • Building the Linux Community

Dell began formally selling and supporting Linux in 1999 with the release of Red Hat Linux 6.1 on PowerEdge servers. Prior to that, it was possible to get Linux installed via our Custom Factory Integration team. As the volume of Linux requests through...
  • The Importance of E-mail

These days everybody’s job is increasingly reliant on the availability of e-mail. Dell recognizes that companies of all sizes require email solutions to function effectively. To that end, Dell has engineered a sizing tool for deploying Microsoft Exchange...
  • Dell's Chemical Policy

There has been much attention and interest recently towards the electronic industry's practices regarding chemical selection and use. Several stakeholders have recently released information regarding the industries activities: Greenpeace recently...
  • Michael and Kevin @ Tech Day

Yesterday, Michael and Kevin both presented at our Tech Day event. One important thing I wasn’t able to reference in any of my work from yesterday was something that Kevin announced with Joe Tucci, Chairman, President and CEO of EMC—the extension of our...
  • Dell Customer CIO Panel

Between Michael and Kevin's Tech Day keynotes, Terry Klein, VP Americas Advanced Technology Group, hosted a CIO panel that featured four customers ( customer details in PDF here ) who build their data centers using Dell hardware and services. These...