Are You Sure My Battery is not Affected?

Direct2Dell

The Official Dell Corporate Blog

Are You Sure My Battery is not Affected?

• Comments 17
Some customers are wondering why some batteries Dell distributed during this time period are part of the recall and why other batteries are not.  Dell uses multiple suppliers and multiple battery pack form factors so not every battery is affected.  This recall is specific to battery packs produced with Sony cells.  If you have a battery that is not included in the recall, you can feel confident it is ok. 

The quickest way to find out if your battery is part of the recall is to check the battery recall sitePlease remember to use the number "0" (zero) instead of the
letter "O. CORRECTION: Please see updated blog post about entering battery ID numbers.

To post a comment login or create an account

Comment Reminder

Unrelated comments or requests for service will be unpublished. Please post your technical questions in the Support Forums or for direct assistance contact Dell Customer Service or Dell Technical Support.. All comments must adhere to the Dell Community Terms of Use.

• Is the recall only for the fire risk? Almost exactly to the date after one year my battery life dropped to about 20 minutes and the next year a cell blew so now my laptop is basically an expensive desktop. I know the battery warranty is only for a year, but is my experience common? I have an inspiron 9100.
  • This reminds me of a similar situation. Before my retirement I was manager of the component investigation group of the Philips Consumer Electronics Division. We were specialized in the field of passive components. A.o. batteries from various manufacturers were tested. We published a testreport with negative results concerning lithium batteries of a certain manufacturer. We warned the use of these batteries would certainly result into fire risk. Nevertheless these batteries were applied in carradios. Yes, our conclusion turned out to be right. Nowadays many engineers are specialized in the field of semiconductors, integrated circuits and microprocessors. Little attention is paid to passive components !
    A H M Weeren

• mosi lager,

It is common for lithium ion and other rechargeable battery technology to experience degredation after a year of use.  Usually by about 20% capacity.  

However, for every user, recharge and usage cycles, not to mention physical wear on the battery is different.  So the long term effects of usage differ.

That being said, Your battery, in my experience, should last with average recharging cycles of once a day, for 3 years before reaching 30 to 50% capacity loss, if that.

Having a cell blow after 1 year, is not common as far as I know. And overall, should not be common regardless. Unfortunately, it happens from time to time.  Just as there is no way to accurately and reliably gauge all  hard drive failures (even with SMART monitoring). Some hard drives will last  less than a week, some will last 10 years or more.

The same goes for most mass produced electronics hardware.

If you can show that your battery blew within a month of the warranty lapse, in my experience, the manufacturer will usually replace it as a courtesy.  Otherwise, all you can do, out of warranty, is buy a new battery.

Good luck...

-DL

• mosi,

P.S.: The recall is for every model battery that fits the requirements Dell and Sony have stated.  Check the battery recall website Dell set up to see if your battry meets the requirements. Then you can exchange it regardless of its condition.

This is the url you need to check this issue: http://www.dellbatteryprogram.com/

-DL
  • http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/ZDM/story?id=2319186

Quote: Lenovo representatives acknowledged that they buy Sony cells, theoretically leaving its ThinkPad notebooks vulnerable. But, they said, the company has put in place stringent safety mechanisms to prevent accidents from happening.

"Basically, our analysis and info Sony has given us indicates that the issues experienced by our competitors' systems are a combination of factors which are not present in our system," said Bob Page, a spokesman for the company. "Lenovo is not recalling any batteries at this time. End Quote

The article in its entirety makes it sound like the problem is a notebook problenm as opposed to a battery problem. Is this information accurate?

• Is the fact that my battery has overheated twice supposed to reassure me that it's okay it's not a part of the recall?
  • Mosi Lager,

Yes this very normal, Lithium Ion batteries have a limited life based on usage and charge cycles.  This is why the battery warranty is limited to 1 year.
  • I find it interesting that there are so many entries in this blog by Dell people about the battery recall and issue, while no one is satisfactorily dealing with the XPS700 delays and Dell's lack of adequate response to concerns and customer support.

I realize that a potentially harmful battery is a safety concern that does certainly merit prominent attention and detail on Dell's blog, but what about other issues that consumers have with Dell products that are impacting thousands of customers as well? Dell is trying very hard to push the XPS700 problem under the rug so that only those affected will hear anything about it. The utter disregard for customers shown in the XPS700 situation is only an example of the kind of lack of a sense of responsibility that led to Dell dragging their feet on dealing with the current battery problem (IMHO of course).
  • Ben: I can't speak to Lenovo's claim but our investigations have narrowed the issue down to Dell-branded battery packs produced with Sony cells.  Thanks.
  • Thanks for the help guys, I guess I got very unlucky. I checked the replacement site, my battery is not included in the recall :( This battery got down to about 20% of its original life within 1 year, I discharged completely / recharged approximately once a week during that time so about 52 times. The cell blew after 2 years. A replacement is about USD 150 so I'll probably just live without the new battery till I get out of uni and get a 'real' job.
  • Mary, XPS customers have not been forgotten.  I've been working on an update and will post as soon as I can confirm new developments.  At this point, looks like it will be the first part of next week. 
  • I own a Inspiron 6000, is its battery also part of the recall, I have been using it since November and recently i have noticed the drop in the battery life even though i mostly use ac power source. Is this normal and is my battery eligible for a recall.
  • Dell should recall all the model number batteries listed on the web site.
    Not just part of the each model number battery listed!!
    How can Dell prove what batteries are good under each model?
    What if you have a  mistake (such as bad SQL data import) and data of bad serial numbers does not get entered into database.
    Apparently the only thing they are checking is the bad serial numbers.
    They are not checking against the good serial numbers.
    I can enter all ones in the fields or mistype a chacter and is says the battery does not need replacement.

• Question about "ohs" vs. "zeroes":

The blog entry from August 15th at 3:40 pm says:

"Please remember to use the number "0" (zero) instead of the letter "O."

This is causing some confusion for my customer, since it can be interpreted two ways:

1.  Does this mean that there are no "ohs" in the PPID and therefore all "round symbols" should be treated as the number zero?  If that's what is being said, it is clearly incorrect as I am looking at a battery that has "ohs" and "zeroes" and they are clearly differentiated because the zeroes have little lines through them, as you would expect.

Or...

2.  Is this comment saying that even though the round symbol in question is an "oh" it should be entered as a "zero"?  The comment says "use (0) zero instead of O".

Or....

3.  Is this just a reminder to differentiate between the two?

I have heard from customer support that there "are no ohs, everything should be treated as a zero".  

Please advise.
  • Dell said that laptops from April 2004 to July 18th (2006?) have affected batteries. I bought mine in mid-June and when I checked the site to see if the battery is affected, it said it's not. So everything seems to be okay, right? Even though I bought it between the given date.