Comment Moderation Redux

Direct2Dell

The Official Dell Corporate Blog

Comment Moderation Redux

There's been some misreportings about this in the blogosphere. 

Let me be clear, we read
100% of the comments and there is no censorship or banning of users.  All comments are reviewed and posted—good or bad—as long as they fall within our Rules of Engagement.  We will not ever ban any of you for submitting a request for product support.  However, instead of posting these requests for support, I will route them to the teams that can actually do something about it.

This process has led to several succesful outreaches, including Rick's outreach to B.L. Ochman.  For a more direct route, you can bypass me altogether and send an e-mail to support.  This information will always be available in the Contact Us page.  Like I mentioned in my previous post, I am still working to add an e-mail field (optional, not published) in the Comments section.  This information allows the support team to contact you.

We do want to hear your specific ideas on things that need to be improved, as well as ideas on how to improve them.  Of course, we're happy to receive compliments as well, just so you don't forget.

To post a comment login or create an account

Comment Reminder

Unrelated comments or requests for service will be unpublished. Please post your technical questions in the Support Forums or for direct assistance contact Dell Customer Service or Dell Technical Support.. All comments must adhere to the Dell Community Terms of Use.

• This outreach has certainly not resolved anything. It's a nice gesture, with no resolution, at least not so far.
  • There's a simple way to fix this.  When someone leaves you a comment, post it.  That's it.  And when someone comments about a need for support, post it, and resolve it.

Resolving and Posting are not mutually exclusive.
  • Things that need to be improved....

Well, what about having your Next Business Day Parts and Labor On-Site Reponse and Complete Care Contract cover batteries for laptops?

I've bought an Inspiron 700 a year and a few weeks ago. My 8-cell battery (the one that is supposed to last longer) died today. I have used this laptop on AC power most of the time since I bought it.

I guess I'm really out of luck. I've bought this laptop, a camera and a high end desktop over the past 18 months at Dell. I was a walking Dell evangelist.

Will I blog about it? Probably not.

However, I really think you should try to incorporate batteries into your labor & parts contract for laptops. That's my suggestion. Now, I guess I just need to go get another battery at your online store and think again next time I need a computer.

• http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=laptop+battery+warranties
    One year is pretty standard for laptop batteries.
  • After reading the "Rules of Engagement" then going back to my comment posted in Laura Bosworth's "No Magic Wands for Customer Service", I have no idea why my comment wasnt' posted as it was
    a) complimentary;
    b) thoughtful;
    c) insightful;
    d) offered insight as a corporate buyer (Federal gov't might I add)

I am highly disappointed that Dell still doesn't get customer service. Even when they ask for comments, they choose to ignore constructive feedback.

Want to start loosing market share to HP from six-seven figure buyers like me ? Start treating Customer Service as Customer Relationship Management.  So far, your management needs to make the comments that make sense visible, and those that are nothing but trolls disappear. That is expected.  That is not happening.
  • When you have as many customers as Dell, there are bound to be some unhappy customers that have experienced bad service etc. I personally have always had good experiences with Dell products and support. People who had trouble with products or support tend to be the most vocal while the people who never experience any problems tend to be quietly minding their business and you hardly ever hear from them. I have experienced some horrible service from some large companies but never from Dell. The products are great and the service has been acceptable.
  • Josh,

If Dell wants to get delighted customers and make evangelists out of them, don't do "standard" stuff.

I wouldn't mind even paying extra to cover a REAL complete care contract, some kind of premium complete care, I guess. I just hate bad surprises: it's not a question of money ($130 - compared to the thousands that I sent Dell's way over the past 18 months), it's just a question of experience doing business with Dell.

And, again, the problem is that I was sold this super battery that was supposed to last longer - and that died in less time than my old Gateway laptop's did.

I feel like I've been cheated by my new computer-vendor-boyfriend if you can allow me the metaphor...
  • I have to agree that most people complaining drown out the compliments. So here is a great support story that proves Dell is capable of outstanding customer support.

Once a few years ago I was despairing at the lack of accountability at Dell so I experiemented with sending an email to Michael Dell himself to see if he was listening. It took a few attempts but eventually the email didn't bounce. Several days later I recieved an email from one of the directors of Dell Australia, Rob Small inviting me to call him and discuss the issue (which I now forget). Anyway he ended up resolving the issue and then he sent me a short letter and his business card. Several times over the next 2 years I called him in desperation and he resolved several issues for me.
    Rob became my 'Magic-Bullet@Dell'.
    The best case being just after the privacy act came into force in Australia. I has a client with a tape stuck in their tape drive. Dell sent a tech to replace the drive under warranty. The tech took the old drive offsite with the tape still stuck in it and the customers sensitive medical database still on it. I called Dell support and tried to explain the problem. They didn't really understand and insisted they must keep the drive and the tape ! A quick call to my magic bullet on his mobile phone (who was in a meeting but answered anyway) solved it. Within 2 hours I recieved a call from a third party logistics companies manager explaining he had the tape locked in his safe after a Dell tech disassembled the drive to extract it. The next day it was security couried to me personally.
    Several months later the same thing happened again in another clients tape drive. Again it was solved by my magic Dell bullet within hours. Many months later a client had an issue with a system being ordered and paid for and not delivered, it had slipped through a crack in the system. I called my magic bullet on his mobile, Rob answered and remembered me by name but... he had left Dell. But to his credit he gave me the names of 2 staffers at Dell who could help me.
    Now that is customer service.

Andrew Cameron
  • Well, count me as someone else whose comment wasn't posted. Who knows what "rules of engagement" I fell foul of. Here's the shorter and sweeter version:

It would be nice to believe that this blog, or anything else Dell is doing, is a sea change in how you're going to deal with customers in the future. Simplifying pricing is an actual concrete gesture, for example, but doesn't really get to the heart of the problem for me - it's not that painful to BUY a Dell; it's gotten painful to OWN a Dell.

Pointless to go through the details of my last encounter with Dell; let's just say it was a typical Dell call center experience, where I got to talk to people all over the world before getting my problem "solved" in a slow, unsatisfactory way. Some of the problems have recurred, because the most expensive laptop I've ever owned also turns out to be the cheapest made when it comes to the case.

You recently posted some management-speak about how "you're not bad;  it's your structure that makes you this way." This is a corporate version of "the devil makes me do it." Fortunately, the solution is real simple:

Empower the employees who speak with the customers to do the right thing by them. Reward the ones who do; counsel, then eventually fire, the ones who don't. It's really that simple.

When I couldn't get  CSRs to elevate my issue over repeated calls, I went from a guy who buys about 5 computers a year who likes Dell to a guy who buys about 5 computers a year who HATES Dell.

This experience, multiplied by a factor of about 100 times, turned my local network guy from a Dell reseller to a "ABD" reseller.

This experience, multiplied a few more thousand or million times, is why your company is trying to blog its way out of a rut. The effort would probably better be spent putting on some headsets and helping some customers.
  • E. Reddy, your original comment has been published under Laura's post.  Apologies for the delay.  Thanks to you and other one2one readers for sending thoughtful comments.  We will continue to factor all of it into future posts from Laura and other Dell bloggers.

Sincerely,
    Lionel
  • Lionel, thanks for continuing to communicate with all of us via this blog.  It shows that you (and therefore Dell) are trying to open up the lines of communication.
  • I was just curious who thought of the idea to stop sending Windows discs with new computers. Personally, I find it silly that I have to pay an extra $10 for the option to get a CD (or DVD) of an operating system that I own since it was included with my new computer purchase.  Sometimes system restore points don't cure everything, and some of us actually are technically savvy enough to reinstall windows (although I'm sure your customer service people have stories to convince everyone otherwise).  But I must say, I am, and always have been, content with Dell and their quality products.
  • Whay would dell delete a thread setup by one of there own moderators for the XPS 700 buyers to cumminicate with each other?  Here is the link http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=xps_desk_genhdw&message.id=16139

I think this is the worst thing Dell has done to the XPS 700 buyers yet.  Are they actually trying to run off customers?
  • Jake wrote on 7/20/06 3:35 pm:
    I was just curious who thought of the idea to stop sending Windows discs with new computers. . . .etc.

Happened to see this on Windows XP Newsgroups under Discussions in XP General.  http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?pg=10&lang=en&cr=US&guid=&sloc=en-us&dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general&fltr=

On 7/27/06,  Subject: Getting a copy of my OEM Windows XP. . .
    Ken Blake, MVP wrote in a reply:
    OEM vendors are required by their agreement with
    Microsoft to give you a means of reinstalling, should it be necessary. They
    can do this in one of three ways:

1. An OEM copy of Windows
    2. A restore CD
    3. A hidden partition on your drive, with restore information.

If you don't have 1 or 2, you should have 3, but you should contact your
    vendor to find out.

Personally, I find both 2 and 3 unacceptable (especially 3; a hard drive
    crash can leave you with nothing), and would never choose to buy a computer
    that came with an operating system unless I got a complete generic
    installation CD for that operating system.

--
    Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
    Please reply to the newsgroup

This doens't explain the charge, but its an explanation.
  • *** I posted this on the "Real People" Thread -- but following a hunch, maybe this is the thread it needs to go on ***

I don't "get it"....

What is the purpose of this site?

From day one, customers have in been asking to be heard ,,,,and
    (evidently) people's problems are being solved offline but those of us
    that are asking you to SOLVE Dell's problems are left hanging

Not that I think you shouldn't solve customer's problems BUT it is
    sort of like this leak I have ......I can either mop, and mop, and mop
    or I can have the plumber fix the leak while I'm moping ,,,,and if it
    still leaks get a new plumber (or turn off the water)

Could you tell us if the "crew" is going to address DELL's issues, if
    so when (so we know when to check back) --- or,  Lets start over with
    a statement of purpose so those of us that don't "get it" can get
    'reoriented'