Blogs

Direct2Dell

The Official Dell Corporate Blog

Design @ Dell

Welcome to our first post regarding Design @ Dell.  Today, Steve and I will introduce Dell’s philosophy behind design and user experience.

As many of you are probably aware, the direct model influences almost everything we do.  It allows our design and user experience teams to interact directly with customers at any point in the product development cycle.  Our challenge is to continually think through how we can design products that balance aesthetics with functionality.  We use feedback from customers to achieve that balance.  In our view, the design and usability work that our teams do ultimately influences the experience our customers have with our products. 

To guide this process, we have established core tenets that impact our complete line of products ranging from rack-mounted servers to corporate notebooks to multi-function printers.  It is what makes a Dell a Dell.  Those tenets include:

Consistency in Behavior – From connector locations to button characteristics, our products are designed to behave in a predictable that is consistent between similar products in a line.

Brand Alignment – Similar product lines with similar brand values serving similar customers are aligned under a common, unifying design language strategy.

Innovation
Going beyond customer’s needs and expectations.  It comes in a variety of forms—from the numerous user-centric features on our UltraSharp flat panel displays and our intuitive user interface for our printer line, to our recently-launched hybid offering—the XPS M2010 Mobile Entertainment system.

Value – Great designs, each appropriate for meeting our different customer's needs.

In upcoming posts, we'll drill further into each of these tenets and provide more insight to priorities and motivations behind Design @ Dell.  Stay tuned—and if there's a specific topic you'd like to hear more about, let us know.

Thanks,
Ken Musgrave & Steve Gluskoter, Directors of Industrial Design

To post a comment login or create an account

Comment Reminder

Unrelated comments or requests for service will be unpublished. Please post your technical questions in the Support Forums or for direct assistance contact Dell Customer Service or Dell Technical Support.. All comments must adhere to the Dell Community Terms of Use.

• With all due respect, who cares about philosophy!

Isn't it clear that what we are asking you to do is to listen to what we want from Dell and tell us how you will exceed our expectations. You don't need philosophy about user experience, you need an action plan for making it better.
  • "user-centric features on our UltraSharp flat panel displays"

Hmmm...

Like positioning the connectors so they are invisible unless the monitor is turned upside down... or perhaps orientation of the video cable connector screws that cannot be turned by human fingers (other than a petite female or a child)?
  • If your company really cared about design, please explain this:

http://news.com.com/2061-10810_3-6095992.html

and this:

http://www.crn.com/sections/hardware/hardware.jhtml?articleId=190700059

Is it part of your philosophy to include a bag of marshmellows with every Dell notebook sold?
  • Hmm, What about Beauty or Appearance? I think the first thing that comes to mind when they think of design is the appearance. Shouldn't this be a cornerstone also?

Also, whats up with all the talk and philosophy? I like what you talk about, but doing it is another thing. Can you explain this discrepancy? Are you aware of it?
  • Part of design is ensuring usability. Why turn out machines (dimension 9150) without PS/2 ports that are unable to run current software? Try running the Windows XP installer - the USB keyboard/mouse can't talk to the setup part of the install. There seems no way round this. The vista installer on the beta2 recent release on the other hand works fine with the USB components.

Dell need to think seriously before turning out desktop machines without legacy features like floppy disk drive, PS/2 access.

W.
  • I kinda like Dell's design of XPS M1210. Whoever in your company designed it.. a big kudos to you.  

My gripes with Dell notebooks is the notebook is not tested for hardware errors.  I received few Inspiron notebooks.  Out-of the box, I ran the dell diag and it gave me error codes in which the technical support confirmed a hardware issue.
    I'm not surprised because the time the notebook was built, tested and shipped is unbelievably fast.
    Customers sure want to receive their orders as soon as possible but I'm sure they prefer "design, quality" than speed in processing the order.
    Imagine.. Order the notebook today.. the notebook is manufacturing - build and tested next day.  Shipped on the 3rd day.  That's so great but the big questions is.. how did they test it? How come.. out-of-the-box, the notebook has hardware issue.  I even came across to an Inspiron notebook that has "design issue".  That is the term that was given to me by your Customer Service.  I was asking for a replacement but she suggested to me to "return" the notebook and make a refund or order another model of your notebook because of design issue with Inspiron Model XXXX.  

I think if the testing of the notebook at the factory is being done without any rush and running your own dell diag per notebook for hardware error will give some help.

• http://renatawc.blogspot.com/2006/07/woe-betide-my-dell.html
  • The future of the Internet and the Operating System of the future are being defined at this moment as the OS that will converge the Telvision and the Computer into an eHome Network Appliance that will deliver everything from Interactive eCommerce Television to advanced eHome Services in the areas of Education, Security, Health, Energy, etc.  

While this is all happening the big players are moving to consolidate a piece of the action, Cisco bought Linksys and Scientific Atlanta, AT&T bought a large piece of Akimbo, Microsoft is aquiring acusitions in Cable Companies and other MSO's such as Comcast while also partnering with MTV and other major players.  The interacive Meta Tag standards are being set for Consumer DVR manufacturers at http://www.tv-anytime.org/ and Dell is still to jump in this space?

When is Dell going to jump fully into defining the eHome of the future and stop just talking about it in small terms?

www.webglue.com
    Robin Hood
    robin@webglue.com
  • Where's the conversation, by the way?

W.
  • I'm wondering why Dell is taking so long to implement AMD's chips in their PCs and notebooks? Customers have demanded it, yet all we see is hemming and hawing, with a begrudging acceptance only in the server side. Does the company have an exclusivity agreement with Intel with financial incentives to keep them Intel only on desktops and notebooks? Ultimately, do these financial incentives outweigh the lost business and market share to HP? So far, the massive decline in market value of Dell's stock doesn't suggest so. Why don't you actually give customers what they want instead of just saying you do?
  • Why do your servers look so much cooler than anything else you turn out? So simple and clean compared to your overdetailed, button-studded, two-tone, plasticky Inspirons for instance. I only get to admire my PowerEdges every 6 months or so... Please give us sleek minimalist industrial appeal in your desktop/laptop line, we're dying here!
  • Consistency within lines?  Yeah right.

I bought a Dell over an IBM largely because you had a critical feature to me: a mouse pointer in the middle of the keyboard. The price was better and your computers were more stylish, so I bought an Inspiron.

So, when after countless repairs you guys finally admitted the PC was a dud (maybe that the whole Inspiron line is, from what I've heard), I could only exchange it with another Inspiron, but none of these had the feature.  Apparently an upgrade to a Latitude or something, which still have the feature, is out of the question for whatever reason.  So now I'm stuck using these horrid touchpads that have nowhere near the speed, accuracy, and minimization of movement that the stick had (and yes, I've been using touchpads for over a year now--I still find they are inferior).  If there were any complaints about your point sticks that influenced the decision to phase them out, it's probably because they weren't as good as your competitor's.  Other brands are flat, grippy, and only need a light touch.  Yours were small, rounded, uncomfortable, and needed a fair amount of force.  Still, they were better than a touchpad...
  • The word of note is design, and the action is described in your press in Businessweek " From Yawn to Yipes" article:

Dell has beefed up its internal team of industrial designers, [it has expanded links to outside design firms.]

Steve - call me on this will you?  Seriously...

• Ken, Steve - Help these guys out and explain what industrial design is and  how it has nothing to do with legecy ports, using AMD over Intel, overheating lappys, or even hardware testing.

And sereiously,  "Beauty or Appearance"?  What did you think "Great designs, each appropriate for meeting our different customer's needs." meant?  Have people not seen their current desktops?  The designs are sweet and quite a jump from previous lines.  And yeah, they're grey.  and black, and white.  Lets see, HP - grey, white, Apple - white, black, grey, Sony - black.... see a trend?
  • I'm still running an Inspiron 8100 which has been pretty good to me over the last four years. My only real complaint is that the Hard Drive and the Optical Drive were both put on the same IDE channel (the HD as Master and the OD as Slave), even though there was a spare IDE channel. From what I've read, doing this is a big no-no, since it data cannot be read/written to both devices at the same time. When I asked why this was done, I was just told "...because that's just the way it was designed.". Not sure if this is related somehow, but when I connect a HD to my USB 1.1 port the whole system slows down (eg. reading/writing to the main internal IDE HD) when reading/writing to this drive. I hope current Inspiron models (inc. XPS) do not suffer from this problem - Does anyone know ?

I'm currently looking into getting a new laptop (probably end up being a maxed out XPS m1710) and got carried away about the specs of my ideal laptop machine (I hope some DELL product designers check this out ;) ). Below is a list of things not currently available

- 20" WQXGA (ie. 2560×1600 like the 30" monitor) screen (some might say this would result in text that's too small, but my current machine is a 15" UXGA screen which is fine and roughly equivalent pixel size to a 20" WQXGA).

- Similar chassis to XPS m1710, but obviously larger to fit the 20" screen (I'm not keen on the m2010 design)

- RAID5 system configured with 3 (minimum number needed for RAID5) 200GB or bigger 2.5" 7200rpm HD's (I know this size/speed HD is not currently available, but I'm sure it will be. RAID5 allows data retention even if one of the drives fail. RAID0 and RAID1 should also be an option)

BTW, is this the best place to make suggestions about new features ?

If not, where would be the best place to send them ?