Blogs

Direct2Dell

The Official Dell Corporate Blog

XPS 700 Update... Finally

• Comments 95
All XPS 700 motherboards will accommodate Pentium D, Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Extreme processors. 
What this means: upgrading the processor from a Pentium D to a Core 2 Duo or Core 2 Extreme will not require a motherboard upgrade.  If you decide to upgrade down the road, all you'll need to do is swap out processors and update the BIOS, which will be available for download at support.dell.com

Options for Current XPS 700 Customers
Due to the delays many of you have experienced, we will provide an option of either a free upgrade to a Core 2 Duo processor or a Dell gift card for all orders placed up until July 18, 2006. 
Unfortunately, upgrading to the new processors will extend your wait time—due to contractual obligations, I can't be more specific at this time.  Dell reps will be contacting all current XPS 700 customers to offer the option to upgrade.  We will work through the callbacks as quickly as possible—please be patient.

As always, apologize for any inconvenience or frustration this ha
s caused.

To post a comment login or create an account

Comment Reminder

Unrelated comments or requests for service will be unpublished. Please post your technical questions in the Support Forums or for direct assistance contact Dell Customer Service or Dell Technical Support.. All comments must adhere to the Dell Community Terms of Use.

• Very interested in this recent announcement, as I had an idea that it was forthcoming. Please tell us that the modification will be like to like. For example if the customer ordered the 965 EE for an additional $1000 then his order will be modified to have the Core 2 EE. If that is the case then I can tell you that most forum members that have been letting their voice be heard will be happy to hear this part of the news. Also I would think it would be appropriate for a Dell  representative to directly address the Dell Community Forum Thread that has now reached over 1000 posts.
  • Thanks for the good news, Lionel.  I think that Dell has done the right thing.
  • Thank you so very much. This is excellent news!
  • Thanks for the update! This really made my day.

Are the XPS 700 systems still scheduled to begin shipping this week?
  • Excellent! Thank you for the answers!  Now I can wait happily instead of disgruntled :)

• I wish this response came much earlier.
    I would say could have come 55 cancelled XPS-700 orders earlier at least. (look into the Dell Community Forum Thread)

I'm happy as there is at least some good information. By the way: is the information posted here legally binding for Dell?

I'm sad as there is still no comment and explanation about the actual problems with the XPS-700 that caused / causes the delays and the reasons why Dell has choosen to remain silent so long.
    Some may say why is it relevant now? I say if Dell would "confess" what happened would improve extremely it's credibility for other statements. It is key for me to understand the "WHY?" as otherwise Dell's behavior is not explainable, unethical and does not meet my expectations about a high-end industry leading company's morale.
    Thanks.
  • Yes Dell THIS IS WHAT WE WANTED TO HEAR, STRAIGHT FOWARD, SWEET, AND TO THE POINT!!!!

Too bad it too so long to get you guys to tell us...

• How much will the gift card be offered?
  • Excellent news, thanks for the update!

Now I just hope that more progress is made on the units actually shipping.
  • This is certainly good news from DELL.  I'm glad that DELL has chosen to take the higher path and demonstrate that they really do have concern for their higher end xps customers.  The manner in which DELL has nicely resolved this issue definately will not go unnoticed in the community.  In doing the right thing, DELL has exceeded mine and many other people's expectations.  I am now eagerly waiting for DELL to contact me.

In the meantime, there are still a couple questions that I would like answered (and I do not believe I am alone in this):

1) If I ordered my system with a Pentium D 920, which
    Core 2 Duo processor will I be Offered for the free
    upgrade?
    2) If I decide not to upgrade, what is the value of
    the Dell gift card I will be offered?
    3) If I decide to take the upgrade path, will i be given the option to upgrade to a higher end Core 2 Duo processor at additional cost?
    4) How long will upgrading delay my order?
  • We still need an answer to this question:

Is the system warranty affected or voided if the end user upgrades his/her processor from a Pentium D to a Core 2 processor?

The answer may seem obvious, but an offical answer seems appropriate. Please don't leave us guessing... Thanks.
  • Great news, but how does this jive with the last statement that systems will ship by Friday? If some systems ship out by Friday when will these people be contacted about the option to upgrade to Conroe, or will they? And how will people be contacted? Phone calls are slow and inefficient. Why not issue a statement to the effect that all Pentium D orders will be automatically changed to their Conroe counterparts. If, for whatever reason, some customers want otherwise, have them call Dell individually. This seems much more efficient and consumer friendly, in my opinion.
  • T3rayon,

I doubt we will ever know.  Dell doesn't make the CPU,  video card, sound card, chipset, hard drive, DVD drive, LED lights, etc.  

Say as an example, the delay was caused by JimBob Video's latest and greatest card causing a BSOD in Windows everytime you make Brook Burke your background picture.  

I'll bet Dell takes the hit, gets with JimBob and gets the glitch fixed and ships a working computer.  Maybe it is ethics, maybe it is a legal contract that prevents Dell from tattling, either way, unless the other company agrees to let the cat out, Dell is going to stay quiet.

Bad press, cancelled orders, and free upgrades, is there really a need to air the dirtly laundry as well.    
  • This is absolutely excellent news. I have to say that I am very impressed. I think we are seeing an entirely new era for Dell. I think the offer of a free upgrade to a Core Duo chip is very nice (even a paid upgrade would have been acceptable in my mind). I look forward to seeing what options I am presented with on my order :-)
  • Thank you Dell for doing the right thing... It feels like Christmas in July!