Mobility for Business – Built-in to Windows 8.1

#DellSolves

Complex business problems with practical IT solutions

Mobility for Business – Built-in to Windows 8.1

• Comments 4
With less than two months until the launch of Windows 8.1, let’s take a look at some of the major mobile connectivity and productivity improvements in Microsoft’s next major release of Windows. 

Built-in VPN Clients

Windows 8.1 adds support for several third-party VPN clients including Dell SonicWALL‘s that come built-in to Windows 8.1.  There’s no additional software to install, and adding a VPN connection in the PC Settings app requires minimal configuration.  The VPN connection user experience is also integrated into Windows, with connecting and signing-in to the VPN done in the View Available Networks (VAN) UI.  Once connected, the VPN client runs securely only in user context and sandboxed, leveraging the Windows 8.1 platform enhancements for VPN.

Auto-triggered VPN

When users select an app or access a resource over the VPN such as a company’s intranet site, Windows 8.1 can automatically connect the VPN.  Auto-triggered VPN improves the remote access experience by seamlessly providing VPN connectivity when users need it.  Auto-triggered VPN is available with both Microsoft and built-in third-party VPN clients.

Built-in VPN clients and auto-triggered VPN are two of the great mobility and productivity improvements in Windows 8.1.  Windows 8.1 will be available as a free update starting on October 18th for consumers with Windows 8 or Windows 8 RT devices.  If you want to try it out before then, download the Windows 8.1 Preview today. 

Windows 8.1 Preview Screenshots

Adding a VPN Connection

Connecting the VPN

VPN Sign-in

VPN Connected with active Remote Desktop Connection over the VPN and Resource Monitor showing the active VPN process

• I have been unable to get this working. I'm using the final version on Windows 8.1 Pro and Windows 8.1 RT. Both systems are unable to connect. The only error code that I am provided is in the Event Viewer and is Error Code 2250.

SonicWall support seems to be stumped/unaware that this feature exists. My case is being escalated however thought I would ask for advice here as well.

• I'm having the same problem as Richard when using the configured SSLVPN port of 4433. If I disable or move HTTPS management to a different port, then change the SSLVPN server service to use port 443, the client connects fine. But if I use a customized port for the SSLVPN I get error 2250. I do have the port specified in the client (sslvpn.domain.com:4433). Would love to hear what support has to say.

• Hey guys.  If you remove ":" and just enter the server name, the VPN connection will work.  My guess is the built-in client queries the authenticating device (NSA, TZ, etc.) and knows what port has been specified for the SSL VPN.

• Windows 8.1 fails to parse a custom port in the server field.  See www.fuzeqna.com/.../kbdetail.aspx