How to use Dell Backup and Recovery to backup your files

#DellSolves

Complex business problems with practical IT solutions

How to use Dell Backup and Recovery to backup your files

My previous blogs talked about creating recovery media using Dell Backup and Recovery and using them to restore the computer. This one is about using Dell Backup and Recovery (DBAR) to backup user data like Pictures, Music, Videos, Documents, Email and more. Click the Backup tile in DBAR to start the backup process:

Then choose Data Backup in the left pane. The two Backup methods are Continuous Data Protection and Data Backup

Continuous Data Protection will protect the latest versions of your working documents in real time in order to be able to rollback to any of those latest versions. It is complementary to scheduled backups since this feature allows you to protect your most important data between 2 scheduled backups. 

Turn on Continuous Data Protection by toggling to Yes on the option and then choose the files to backup using the “Select Files”.

Select the individual folders and drives that you want to backup and click OK.

Then click on the “Settings” option to alter settings such as the “Number of backup version to retain”; “Minimum delay between backup versions”; “Current backup location”; “Data to Backup” and “File Exclusion Rules”

The Data Backup option enables Local Scheduled Backups that will run at the date and time that are defined. All selected files and/or folders will be saved to the destination of your choice.

The settings summary page provides options to review “Current Backup Frequency”; “Current Data Backup Location”; and the “Data to Backup”.

Cloud Storage, a Premium feature, is another Backup option. 

The backup options under Cloud Storage are the same as Data Backup; Continuous Data Protection and Data Backup. They work in the same manner except that the data is stored on Cloud Storage. A Cloud account would need to purchased and activated to initiate the process.

The advantages of Cloud Storage ensure 100% data security as the data is replicated in many servers online. All data security concerns on local storage like the system hard drive or an external hard drive are eliminated, be it the physical loss of the media or data corruption as a result of the drive failure.

Having discussed about data backup, we can talk about data recovery. The Recovery tile can be used to recover the data that was backed up using any of the methods discussed previously.

Clicking “Yes, Continue” allows us to select the items to be restored.

Once the files that need to be restored are selected, clicking “Next” allows you review the items that would be restored. Clicking “Restore Now” would initiate the process.

Click here to view the video demonstration of data backup and recovery.

• How do I delete a data backup that ended up in the wrong place?

• Hi Jendaya,

I've sent you an email seeking details to help me research your query. We're awaiting your response to be able to take this further.

Thanks.

VJ

• The computer can barely find the internet despite the fact that I have no problem with any other computer, phone, etc.  Now you want money to connect me to the cloud. I simply want a computer that doesn't crash all the time, doesn't take ten minutes to go on-line.  Money!  More money, Dell!  Come on.  Why did I ever decide to buy something beside a Mac.  The Macs are great!  No problems.  No issues. Free upgrades.  Recovery shouldn't be a problem if the computer wasn't so buggy and you weren't so greedy!

• "How do I delete a data backup that ended up in the wrong place?" I have the same question: Due to a typo, I have set the backup location to G:\DEL Backup. I have changed it subsequently in the backup configuration to G:\DELL Backup. The backup now goes to the right place, but the recovery still tries to reach the old folder DEL Backup (non existent).