Many of us interact with more than one computer on a regular basis.  Wouldn’t it be nice if little things like your desktop background, personalization settings, and browser settings could sync?  What about your app settings and passwords?  For a handful of Windows 8’s features and some app settings you can do just that with a Microsoft account.

A Microsoft account allows you to sync PC settings, access your Sky Drive account, and a handful of other features. The best part is that Microsoft accounts have the potential to be updated to expand their functionality in the future to allow you nearly seamless transitions between your computers.  If you signed up for a Hotmail account, Windows Live account, Microsoft wallet, or live.com account you already have a Microsoft account; just log in with your email and password.  If you don’t have a Microsoft account and don’t want to make a new email, its not a problem.  Microsoft accounts can be linked to nearly any email address, and as a Gmail user I can confirm it works with Google’s email service.

The video below will walk you through the process of setting up your Microsoft account and explain some of the basic functionality.  If you find anything interesting you can do with your Microsoft account please let me know in the comments below.  I’d love to figure out new ways to use this nifty new feature.