The OpenStack Summit event in San Diego has run its course and I hope my daily blogging on Dell sessions and interesting interviews with community leaders was useful. I would like to wrap-up my social media tracking of this event with my thoughts on the OpenStack solution and community.

• OpenStack Community – this is a most impressive community with a seasoned professional group of global cloud leaders. The commitment to the project is genuine and the collective sharing of ideas and work is positive in the overall OpenStack movement.

• OpenStack Distributions – I spoke with many people about the various distributions either available, in beta or coming soon. There is no definitive view within the community of having so many distributions being a positive or negative issue. I currently count more than 10 versions with several more surely coming in the next few months. Ensuring that all these distributions adhere to the OpenStack API for customer portability and ecosystem leverage is certainly a critical issue for the project. Perhaps the OpenStack community should make a “Community Distribution” that is the standard tool used to measure compatibility for the various offerings?

• OpenStack Foundation – The board of directors for the OpenStack Foundation meet this past week with 25 members participating. As of today, the minutes from this meeting are not yet available for community review so I am not sure what issues were discussed or even how 25 people can work together in a manner that benefits the community. As this is an open source project this group of people MUST prioritize their efforts in being transparent. The potential for the community to distrust this team is high and without complete transparency, there will be substantial conflict within the community benefiting no one.

• OpenStack Technical Leadership – The foundation also has a team of 13 people on the tech committee who are responsible for the direction of the project. I believe that a successful open source project needs a single benevolent dictator to successfully produce a product that meets customer’s needs. As examples, Linus Torvalds for Linux; Ian Pratt for Xen.org; Dries Buytaert for Drupal; here for more. OpenStack is now two and half years old and we continue to suffer from not having an enterprise solution ready for scalable production (see Lydia Leong from Gartner, see James Staten  from Forrester). I believe that we are not moving fast enough with the critical features needed for production and without a single voice directing the development feature set we will continue to “spin” during the development cycle and create interesting features that engineers like but not what customers need. So, who is our benevolent dictator?

I look forward to seeing the community continue to grow and become a significant player in the cloud computing marketplace. With the past 2 events being in California I would like to encourage the foundation to think globally and move the next event to Asia in China, Japan, or South Korea where there is significant activity. Reaching the global audience locally is the best way to drive even more contributions and support.

I will post links to all the OpenStack sessions which were recorded on my Twitter account and the Dell Cloud Community Events Page for OpenStack Summit when they are available.

Previous Event Blogs: