September, 2010 - Dell4Enterprise - Dell4Enterprise - Dell Community

September, 2010

Dell4Enterprise

Strategic insights on using IT to achieve business goals
Activity
  • Special effects company makes a bigger splash in Hollywood and lends a hand to Sherlock Holmes with Dell blade servers

Organisations in the arts and entertainment industry are helping create special effects for some of the world’s biggest box office successes. One in particular – Double Negative , based in the UK – has been behind some fantastic scenes...
  • Dell/EMC Storage Innovations – Part 1 of 2

I was talking by the water cooler today - really, there is an ice and filtered water machine at the end of the hall where some of the best storage conversations happen - with Brian Whitaker, a Product Group colleague and former product manager for Dell...
  • The silent majority

Below is a blog repost from John Fruehe, AMD Director of Product Marketing for server/workstations, about how the efficiency of the Dell PowerEdge C6105 combined with AMD's Opteron™ 4100 Series processor and Dell's Data Center Solutions...
  • NVIDIA: from gaming graphics to High Performance Computing

A few weeks ago a group from NVIDIA was out visiting Dell. Their Tesla series of GPU cards are the primary cards that are used in our newly announced C410X expansion chassis . Filling up the C410X with NVIDIA cards and attaching it to a server can bring...
  • IMTS Wrap Up

Below is another post from Sarah Mercer, Program Lead on Dell OEM Group. This one is a wrap-up of this year's International Manufacturing Technology Show (IMTS): ----------------------------- Wow, what a week! 90,000 of the best and brightest...
  • Dell Becomes Oracle PartnerNetwork Platinum Partner and Achieves Database 11g Specialization

Dell is pleased to announce that it has achieved Platinum Partner status in the Oracle PartnerNetwork (OPN) and completed Oracle Database 11g Specialization. By attaining this specialization, Oracle recognizes Dell for its in-depth skills and expertise...
  • Countdown to ESC Boston

Below is a post from Sarah Mercer who is a Program Lead on Dell OEM Group had a few words to say about the upcoming Embeeded Systems Conference (ESC) in Boston. Here's her post: Kicking things off this week, the team is getting pumped up about...
  • Countdown to Oracle OpenWorld - See You Next Week

It’s almost here! We’ve been fully outfitted (my Streak arrived last night), have packed our most comfortable shoes and have been placed on a strict diet designed especially for us by NASA to ensure acute focus and sustained energy in the...
  • What’s happening — A Dell / OpenStack Update

A couple of days ago Bret Piatt , who handles Technical Alliances for OpenStack , came up to Austin to have further discussion with our team’s software engineers around OpenStack. If you’re not familiar with OpenStack, it is an open source...
  • Why cloud provider iland is checking out our new system

iland is a provider of cloud computing infrastructure with high-availability data centers specifically designed for cloud computing in Boston, Washington D.C., Houston, Los Angeles, Dallas, and London. To stay competitive in the cloud infrastructure business...
  • Welcome the uber-dense AMD-based Cloud/ HPC machine

The last couple of Dell Data Center Solutions offerings I’ve talked about, Viking and MDC , have been from the custom side of the house. Both of these solutions are targeted specifically at a few select large customers. The subject of today’s...
  • Enter the Viking: Light Weight server for Hosting and Web 2.0

Over the last few years, we have been working with some of the world’s biggest hyperscale data center operators, folks who are deploying thousands, to tens of thousands of servers at a time. Within this select group, the theme that keeps coming...
  • Back to the Future with Light Weight Servers

Light weight servers have been gathering steam recently. Targeted at focused markets like hosting and Web 2.0 they feature the old school architecture of placing one CPU per server and running one OS/application on that server. The new twist here is that...
  • Singing the Praises of the PowerEdge R815

For those that have been out of the loop or have been spending too much time in the server room, the Dell PowerEdge AMD portfolio has been growing, as well as its recognition. In May, we launched the PowerEdge R815 , our first AMD 11 th Generation PowerEdge...
  • Dell’s Modular Data Center — Hello World

Last week at VMworld , Dell held a Super session where we debuted a video walking through our Modular Data Center (MDC). The group that I belong to, Data Center Solutions (DCS), created the MDC as a custom solution addressing the specific needs of a few...
  • Choose Your Competition Wisely: A Fly on the Wall of Dell’s Executive Briefing Center

I just met with a prospective client in Dell’s EBC that had grown a top notch engineering team. The team was showing off their next-gen design, and it was a comprehensive Wintel based system with a great security story. After the client went over their...
  • Will PCs continue to replace PLC or DCS industrial automation products?

I spotted this interesting commentary from Dan Herbert at ControlGlobal.com about using Industrial PCs instead of PLC or DCS solutions in industrial automation. Dan puts together a reasonable take that highlights why using a hardened PC can save you lots...
  • When worlds collide – is an IT shop a factory?

In mathematics, there are certain types of problems that are considered impossible to solve in a reasonable amount of time. These problems are more common than you think and can appear deceptively simple. For example, what is the shortest distance between...
  • Dell’s imaginative custom shop

This week I was wandering through the OEM engineering labs and stumbled onto one of our mechanical engineers, Tom Holt, who was putting away a sample of one of his latest custom bezel projects. Like a proud new father, Tom showed off his work and discussed...
  • Tut-tut, it smells like rain… clouds

In all the conversations I have with our OEM customers , those organizations who use Dell hardware and services to deliver their solutions to end user customers, I cannot help but notice the interest in taking advantage of cloud computing to deliver those...
  • A storm is brewing

As I read the news and speak with leaders in the tech world, the word “ cloud ” is bandied about like a new buzzword. I hear the word “cloud” more than I hear about Lady Gaga or Lindsay Lohan . But I also get the strange impression few people really know...
  • KN Networks keeps it simple with a KACE Management Appliance, saving 100 hours of staff time and €6,500 power consumption each year

Keeping hundreds of desktops and laptops up-to-date and working properly is a tall order for any company, but it’s especially hard when you’re a two-man IT team trying to manage four sites in different countries. That was the challenge faced by Maurice...
  • Aster’s big data architecture

As I mentioned in my last entry , the week before last I headed out to the TDWI World Conference in San Diego. Besides talking about Dell’s new BI practice, I was there to represent our data analytics partners, Aster Data and Greenplum . Both vendors...
  • Dell has a BI practice?!

The week before last I headed out to The Data Warehouse Institute’s (TDWI) World Conference in San Diego. I went out to help support our BI team who were using the event as the forum to unveil Dell’s new Business Intelligence practice. ...