October, 2008 - Dell4Enterprise - Dell4Enterprise - Dell Community

October, 2008

Dell4Enterprise

Strategic insights on using IT to achieve business goals
Activity
  • Blog Comments Disabled Temporarily Until 11-7

As I mentioned in my post earlier this week , we are beginning our data migration to our new site. That means we are temporarily disabling comments to all of the Dell English blogs (except for Your Blog , ReGeneration.org and DigitalNomads.com ) until...
  • Blog and Dell Community Forum Changes Coming Soon

Just a few minutes ago, I published a blog post on Direct2Dell explaining some changes that will be occurring later this week. To centralize the comments on this topic, I have disabled comments on this post. Please go to my Direct2Dell post to share...
  • Thoughts on Azure

At their annual PDC conference on Monday, Microsoft announced the CTP of their new cloud services platform, called Azure , code named “Red Dog”. When I first heard about the offering, I immediately thought if they play their cards right...
  • Be more energy efficient with the new OptiPlex

One of the key attributes of the new Optiplex line is its energy efficiency. For example, when compared to older systems in a customers’ environment – say the Optiplex 170L from about 4 years ago – the energy savings can be up to 84...
  • New OptiPlex Desktops, Flexible Computing Solutions and Managed Services from Dell

A lot of people don’t realize this, but as of Q2 , about 83% of Dell’s revenue came from business products, and that's been pretty consistent for a while now. That being the case, we receive a lot of feedback from customers looking...
  • Dell Powers Microsoft Azure

Today marks the start of an important chapter in the unfolding story of cloud computing. Microsoft has entered the ranks of cloud platform service providers with the launch of Windows® Azure™ and the Azure Services Platform . Microsoft selected...
  • What's the Protocol Here?

Based on today’s story on SearchStorage' Storage Soup blog, wanted to take a quick minute and clarify a few points. Dell’s position on FCoE is that it will be a useful bridge for Fibre Channel (FC) customers hoping to consolidate LANs...
  • Reduce OpEx - Virtualize

Coming next week we’ll be adding additional categories to the blog so you can easily find the information that is most useful to your organization as you prioritize projects and IT solutions that will drive real returns and savings. One strategy...
  • Cloud Storage

I’d like to introduce myself. My name is Eric Kuzmack and I recently joined Dell as an Architect in the Data Center Solutions group. I came to Dell after 15 years at Gannett, the USA’s largest newspaper company and the publisher of USA TODAY...
  • Cloud Architecture Model

Cloud Computing is perhaps one of the most widely acclaimed terms in the computer industry today. However, the true meaning has become very obscured as just about every company in the industry has taken what they were already doing and started calling...
  • Simplify your IT and Save

Yesterday you heard from Kris Fitzgerald on the importance of reducing IT complexity and prioritization. Here are a few more posts from our Inside IT blog that also talk about simplifying IT saving time and money. Simplify IT - A customer perspective...
  • 20 cost-saving tips for IT execs

Last week, Gartner put out a list of 20 ways IT execs can slash expenses . You’ll see some similarities with what Michael addressed in his post , and many of these topics -like virtualization, storage, VoIP and video conferencing, software licensing...
  • Day Two at GiTEX -- Microsoft Enterprise Day

Hi there readers, it’s day two of GiTEX technology week. Yesterday’s activities at GiTEX were branded as Microsoft Day and sessions covered key technology trends and best practices. I had quite a few interviews yesterday, as well as attending...
  • Q&A with Kris Fitzgerald - Simplify IT

To build on the advice Dell’s CIO and IT leaders shared with Michael as part of his post last Friday, I sat down with a former IT Executive who now runs Dell’s IT Simplification consulting practice. Here’s what Kris Fitzgerald had to...
  • Dell Showcases the Dell|EMC CX4 Family of Storage Solutions at GITEX

Today at GiTEX, Dell announced that it would be introducing the fourth-generation of Dell|EMC CX family of storage systems to the Middle East region. We caught-up with James Quarles and Robin Kuepers to ask a few questions about this announcement. ...
  • Dell Keynote Speech at GiTEX Technology Week

Today at Gitex Technology Week in Dubai, Pim Dale, Dell’s vice president of Emerging Country business in EMEA, delivered the event’s keynote address. Pim has been attending GiTEX for the past eight years and commented that this year it is...
  • Looking To Get More From Your IT During the Economic Slow-Down?

There's been no shortage of headlines lately on the world's economic slow-down. Should you start a new business now? Is now the time to mobilize your workforce? What roles do virtualization, green IT and services play in this environment? All...
  • Virtualization Whitepaper on Microsoft Hyper-V

Take a look at a post by Todd Muirhead of Dell's TechCenter on Microsoft's Virtualization team blog . One of the engineers behind Dell's technical community, Todd writes about a new Hyper-V on 24-Core R900 whitepaper that our technical...
  • Latitude E6400 Software Privacy Filter, Transition to LEDs, Premium Panels

A while back, we introduced a software privacy screen option for Latitude E6400 customers who want an alternative to traditional laptop privacy filters. Customers who purchase this option can either use Dell's ControlPoint software or press Fn...
  • Dell Talks "Purity of Ethernet Management" at Gartner Symposium

Gartner Symposium is taking place this week in Orlando and Dell has a team of folks at the conference to present on aspects of its enterprise strategy and business. We caught up with Dell's Chris Auger, enterprise technologist in the company's...
  • Taking The Pulse on Cloud

This week marks the first Cloud Summit , a new tradeshow from Techweb, so thoughts turn to the cloud ecosystem. As private cloud technologies begin to proliferate, an important thing to consider is the notion that developing applications to live within...
  • The Storage World Descends on Dallas - SNW Fall 2008

( editor's note - this post comes to us from Tony Ansley of Dell’s storage product group which will be supporting hands-on labs at SNW next week .) If you’re interested in what Dell is doing with enterprise storage, make every effort...
  • Here We Grow Again – Another Industry First From Dell Storage

The PowerVault DL2000 is the industry’s first integrated disk-to-disk (D2D) based solution that automates, simplifies, and speeds up backup and recovery. These are tasks that customers in the SMB space need to do but either do inefficiently, can’t...
  • Cloud Buzz

Last week’s comments from Oracle CEO Larry Ellison on the marketing buzz around cloud computing struck a chord with some, and reminded me of some of the attention drawn to Dell’s early adoption of the concept. While many in the industry are...
  • BYOC: Build Your Own Cloud

Today Dell launched an exciting new service: Dell Remote Access . One might ask: "Is this a cloud service?" On its own, no, it’s not. Is it cloudy? Absolutely, because for the digital nomads out there, DRA represents an opportunity to...