Recently Dell went private, an exciting step in our evolution.  Because of this change you might notice that we will not be considered or included in FTSE4Good, DJSI or Top 100 Corporate Citizens list; we won’t be in the Top 100 Most Admired Companies, and will no longer be in Newsweek’s Green Rankings. For the first time recognition on those lists is open only to public companies. However, our commitment to Corporate Responsibility has not diminished, in fact, it has grown.

How do private companies give their customers confidence of their commitments to corporate responsibility if they can no longer be compared to their peers on public lists?  What happens when our customers notice our absence from a list we have occupied for years?

We knew this was going to be a challenge and we began thinking of ways we could demonstrate our commitment to corporate responsibility regardless of our public/private status.  After reflection and discussion, we found a theme; Dell is going private, not silent.  We have a strong social media presence, which is a key strategy for both our stakeholder engagement work as well as sustainability communications.  We are also finding new ways to get the Dell team out to speak at conferences, participate at round tables and serve on boards that drive sustainability leadership in business.

Michael will be speaking at the upcoming Fortune Brainstorm Green 2014. Trisa, our Chief Responsibility Officer, will be speaking at DFW Corporate Citizenship Network and I will be attending the EICC’s first multi-industry, multi-stakeholder engagement on labor in China. Since going private, we’ve spoken publicly at several corporate responsibility events, including Verge, GreenBiz Forum, and Climate Leadership Conference.

We recently held a stakeholder engagement facilitated by Ceres, to review our upcoming CR Report, which will launch in early July. We are currently editing the report based on that feedback.   Feedback from stakeholder engagements will be available publically on our website at Dell’s Response to Stakeholder Feedback | Dell.

While we lost the ability to be recognized in some places, we gained the ability to move more quickly, set long-range goals and bring others to the table.  In that spirit I am excited to announce the launch of this new Dell Shares CSR blog.  In this blog you will receive updates on goals from our 2020 Legacy of Good plan, meet the goal owners, read about new sustainability initiatives and engage with the Dell team on a more personal level.  For now, we will be posting here monthly to keep you updated on our efforts and connected to our teams. I hope you will check back often and be part of the conversation.

If you are interested in what Dell is doing the area of sustainability, you can also follow me on Twitter @DebAtDell and @Dell4Good.