Dell expands mobile product portfolio in India with new series of Smartphones

D2D India

D2D India

A blog about Dell products, services and customers in India

Dell expands mobile product portfolio in India with new series of Smartphones

• Dell announces XCD28 & XCD35 first in India, starting at a price of Rs. 10,990 and Rs. 16,990 respectively, available at Dell stores and all leading mobile outlets
  • Great value with ultra-compact form factor, smart 3G experience, WiFi connectivity, and access to Android Market applications
  • Advanced Exchange Warranty assures consumers of superior customer support 4

Reiterating India's strategic importance and its commitment to the growing number of smartphone users here, Dell today announced the launch of its first high-value smartphones XCD28 and XCD35 in India. Priced starting at Rs. 10,990 for XCD28 and 16,990 for XCD35, these are the first Dell smartphones targeted specifically at addressing key use cases at such price points anywhere in the world (in the open market, that is without any bundling options with a telecom provider). While XCD28 will be immediately available in the market, XCD35 will be available by December 2010.

"For more than 25 years, Dell has played a critical role in transforming computing, enabling more affordable and more pervasive access to technology around the world. With today's launch, we extend the same pioneering edge to the smartphones market as starting with the XCD series, we look to offer technology solutions to a much larger audience", said Mahesh Bhalla, General Manager, Consumer & SMB, Dell India. "In the fast growing Indian mobile market, this will allow more and more Gen Y and mobile professionals to access a rich browsing and multimedia experience, backed with the assurance of an uncompromising, market-leading service support", he added.

"Today's launch validates our intention to bring accessible technology to key markets like India as we work relentlessly to enable our customers to grow and thrive. India is one of the fastest growing global markets for mobile devices as well as PCs. We chose to launch the new XCD range of smartphones first in India to offer a complete portfolio of Dell mobile Internet products in all screen sizes", said Farooq Butt, Vice President Worldwide Business Development & Strategy, Dell Inc.

Powered by Android 2.1 OS, with built-in 3G for high speed connectivity options including WiFi and Bluetooth, the Dell XCD28 offers full internet browsing with native browser, a media player supporting multiple formats for videos, music and photos and features such as location awareness. Additionally, additional features have been added to cater to the Indian market tastes such as FM Radio and access to Microsoft Email Exchange through Activesync. With a 2.8-inch LCD touch screen display and a 3.2 megapixel digital camera that can click images in real quality, the Dell XCD28 is a complete entertainment mobile gadget at an affordable pricing. Access to the multiple applications available on the Android Market makes life more exciting while on-the-go. The phones come equipped with 200MB of internal memory that can be increased up to 16GB using Micro SD memory cards.

Packed with the most popular features of a mobile phone, the Dell XCD35 boasts of a 3.5-inch capacitive touch screen display for a richer entertainment and multimedia experience.

As a first in the Indian market for smartphones at these price points, Dell XCD28 and Dell XCD35 are equipped with one year Advanced Exchange Warranty that assures users with an immediate replacement option if faced with any hardware issue with their Dell smart phone. Available at Dell Stores and leading mobile stores in India, the Dell XCD range aims to put the Indian consumer at the forefront of affordable access to the latest in entertainment, connectivity and mobility.

• Is XCD28 equipped with GPS facility? What is its technical details?

• Hi Varun

Yes the XCD 28 is equipped with GPS. If you can send me a test mail on ajay_arora@dell.com, i will share all the tech specs of the model.

Cheers

Ajay

Platform

CPU: ARM11, 600MHZ

Dimensions  102mm × 55mm × 14.5mm

Weight  100g

Band

GSM 850/900/1800/1900 MHz

UMTS 2100 MHz

Memory

Flash:512M

RAM:256M

Internal Memory: About 200 MB for user.

Expandable with Micro SD memory card (up to 16GB)

LCD Module

2.8 inch 320*240 pixels QVGA resolution

262 K color(18 bit color) TFT LCD

Resistive Touch screen

Protocol Supported

WCDMA

HSDPA

GSM/GPRS/EDGE

2 Confidential Communications Solutions

Digital Camera

Main camera

3.2 MP Color CMOS with Auto focus

Capture Image:

Video capture:

Connectivity & Interface

Bluetooth

Compliant with v2.1 with EDR

Class 2 transmit power

Wi-Fi

IEEE 802.11b/g compliant

Internal WLAN antenna

USB

USB 2.0 with High Speed

Micro-USB

Micro-SD card access

Support USB charging

Battery  1000mAh Li-ion

• Hi,

The xcd28 already seems to be available on the market, but I can't find the xcd35 anywhere yet.

Also, what is the roadmap for the froyo update for the xcd35?

The xcd35 seems to have a killer combination of features especially a great display at such a low price. I am very interested in getting one asap.

• instruction manual for XCD28 is too brief. Where can I get detailed instruction manual for various operations. While changing from another handset, many of the common features seems absent/complicated.

• hi rajeevan....thanks for writing in. About the second part of your comment, when you change a handset, common featuers seem to be absent/complicated, can you please explain that better or give an example so we can look into it?

• Does anyone know how to upgrade XCD28 to Android 2.2 (Froyo) ?

• hi vijay...The upgrade to Android 2.2 froyo is not available for XCD28 at this point, In future as and when we have it available we will all posted...stay tuned to D2D

• Hello all, for nay detailed description of Dell XCD, please check the website:

www1.ap.dell.com/.../mobile-xcd28

• Dell xcd 28 get very hot while charging Is it normal or there is any problem with the device.

• Hello,

Dell Xcd28 has nice specifications.

However, I am surprised to find that still there is no "Froyo" on Xcd28 ! (Not even Announcement !)

Please do note that there are many phones in the same range (+/- Rs 1500) (like LG Optimus P500) which are offering "Froyo" out of the box or the manufacturers are promising upgrades.

However, knowing Dell's immaculate service and technological abilities, it is surprising that you have not even announced Froyo, while some phone manufacturers have announced Gingerbread(Android 2.3) Upgrade !

I will strongly consider buying this phone if you can promise Froyo upgradability.

• Dear Mr Ajay

I  purchased Dell XCD28 on 24 Dec 2010. Indeed it is a good purchase for me. I am using it with 3G facility, but last two days there is fast discharge of battery. When I checked it in "Battery use" menu it shows 97% used by Android System and just 2% for voice call. Please explain me why it is so & how could I minimize this?

• hey is there any official statement for android 2.2 froyo or 2.3 gingerbad update for dell xcd35 ?or will there be any update of android  froyo for dell xcd35 ?or not

• Dear Ajay,

I am really impressed with the specifications of XCD35. The only thing thats stopping me from buying this phone is its Android version.

Android 2.1 is kinda outdated.

I would expect Dell to provide at least an upgrade to Android 2.2 (Froyo), if not for Android 2.3 (Gingerbread).

Please let me know is there going to be any upgrades available for Dell XCD35.

• Is there any update on 2.2 availability on xcd28

• D2D,

Can you tell when XCD 35 users will get Froyo 2.2 or GB 2.3 update?

Thanks

Onnesh