Dell Precision M4600 and M6600 Mobile Workstations Available Worldwide May 10

Direct2Dell

The Official Dell Corporate Blog

We are excited to announce today that our sleek new powerful mobile workstations, the Dell Precision M4600 and M6600, will be available for sale worldwide on May 10. The M4600 and M6600 provide an excellent balance between mobility and performance and are fully ISV certified on a broad range of workstation class software.

The systems are designed for customers who need to be mobile and are doing professional 2D / 3D computing or analyzing and computing massive amounts of data. Examples include a geologist analyzing massive amounts of geographic data at an oil site, an architect presenting a rendering to a client at an offsite meeting, a designer that needs to be able to seamlessly work on their project on the road, or a video producer working on a movie set that needs to capture and edit data in real time.

Dell continues to develop best-in-class workstation solutions based off customer feedback and we have successfully created the world’s most powerful mobile workstations again. The Dell Precision M4600 and M6600 are the only 15.6” and 17.3” mobile workstations with 2nd generation Intel Corei7 processor Extreme edition and 1600MHz system memory options, plus new NVIDIA Quadro mobile GPUs based on NVIDIA Fermi architecture that feature twice the number of CUDA™ cores and twice the graphics memory over previous generations.

The Dell Precision M4600 combines incredible processing and graphics performance with a lightweight-yet-durable 15.6” design, providing our customers with the unstoppable power to design and create – no matter where their vision takes them. The M4600 has been redesigned from the ground up with a new dedicated workstation chassis, no longer leveraging the Latitude frame. Other brand new features include HDMI video-out port, increased memory capacity of up to 32GB, increased HDD maximum up to 750GB, Raid 0/1 support (via SSD MiniCard). It also offers astonishing 15.6” HD and FHD display options, including a PremierColor 100% color correct RGB LED display with IPS technology, for accurate color reproduction and brilliant images.

The new extraordinary 17.3” Dell Precision M6600 mobile workstation unites desktop replacement processing and graphics performance and productivity-boosting features in a sleek and dependable professional system. We didn’t think it was possible for our Dell Precision M6500 to get any better, but we not only increased the performance and power of its successor, the M6600, but we also decreased the weight. It now offers 3 storage options, while keeping the optical drive,including an optional 2nd HDD and 128GB SSD mini card with RAID 5 support, HDMI video-out port, and HD and FHD 17.3” display options for accurate color reproduction and brilliant images.

Engineers, designers and other workstation professionals can now intuitively interact with their work in a whole new way with the optional touch display on both workstations. They can create, write, edit and zoom onscreen with up to four fingers or a stylus and take advantage of engineering software applications like MathJournal and SpaceClaim. Xthink’s Math Journal software helps customers solve mathematical and engineering problems by recognizing handwritten mathematical expressions, through the touch feature, and then displaying a list of relevant solution types. SpaceClaim, which provides 3D Direct Modeling solutions for rapid concept design and geometry manipulation, enables engineers and industrial designers to create and edit precise solid models on their mobile workstation.

We are also continuing to offer our customers flexible and versatile graphics solutions to fit their needs. The M4600 and M6600 can be configured with a wide range of AMD FirePro™ Mobility Professional Graphics and NVIDIA Quadro Professional Graphics options with up to 2GB of GDDR5 dedicated memory for high performance and accuracy for complex models. The M4600 graphics options include AMD FirePro M5950 and NVIDIA Quadro 1000M and 2000M, and the M6600 will offer AMD FirePro M8900 and NVIDIA Quadro 3000M, 4000M today and the Quadro 5010M with 4GB of GDDR5 memory in the coming weeks.

Customers that choose the AMD FirePro M8900 and the M5950 cards can utilize the AMD Eyefinity multi-display technology to increase productivity and simplify visualization solutions by expanding their visual real estate. They can access 3 monitors when undocked and 5 when docked.

Additional features to the new mobile workstation family include:

• Interchangeable batteries, optical drives, keyboard and HDD carriers between systems;
  • Quick eject hard drive, full access to components and easy access bottom door for upgrading or servicing parts;
  • MIL-STD 810G tested for extreme temperatures, vibration, dust, altitude and shock;
  • Expansive DDR3 memory with four DIMM slots for up to 32GB of 1333MHz memory or up to 16GB of 1600MHz memory for blistering performance;
  • Five USB ports including 2 USB 3.0, 2 USB 2.0 and one combination USB 2.0 and eSATA and three video out options including DisplayPort, VGA, and HDMI for an optimized mobile experience;
  • NVIDIA Optimus technology that intelligently detects graphics performance needed to help extend battery life;

· Powerful second-generation Intel Core processors with options up to Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition for enhanced performance and productivity.

Finally, our customers can focus on their work knowing that their system comes with independent software vendor (ISV)-certified reliability, standard three-year Limited Hardware Warranty and optional Accidental Damage against damage from everyday drops, spills and bumps not covered by the standard warranty. They can also rest assured their data is protected with optional Dell DataSafe Online Backup, Dell Laptop Encryption, FIPS certified encrypted HDD and fingerprint reader and Dell System Track and Recovery service, and will be covered with Dell’s premium support service, ProSupport, should an issue arise.

We know you will be impressed with these fully loaded, performance blazing systems and look forward to hearing your feedback!

To post a comment login or create an account

Comment Reminder

Unrelated comments or requests for service will be unpublished. Please post your technical questions in the Support Forums or for direct assistance contact Dell Customer Service or Dell Technical Support.. All comments must adhere to the Dell Community Terms of Use.

• Same thing here. Why put movie screens for business laptops?  The increased performance in some areas is lost because of less real screen state. Very, very, annoying.

• There is only one constant with technology; change.  There have been, and will always be, transitions and changes in the computing industry that some people just won’t like.  What some dislike others embrace.  The move from 16:10 to 16:9 aspect ratio panels is one of those transitions.  With some transitions we are able to offer both versions at the same time, like the CD & DVD optical drives, but sooner or later CD drives are dropped and DVD drives are the only ones offered.  With panels we’re unfortunately we are not able to offer them both versions at the same time and a hard migration has to take place.

Pretty much This transition is largely dictated by the glass manufacturers.  So that means our competitors are also moving to this aspect ratio, even those that recently launched systems.  The panel makers order glass from glass makers in bulk and cut sheets out for individual displays. They can get better yields and more 16:9 panels out of a single sheet than they can from 16:10 panels.   A 16:10 panel would require a special build at a very high added cost that would unfortunately be translated to our customers.  The TV industry (served by the same panel manufacturers) already has transitioned and now uses the 16:9 aspect ratio.  

Also, new technologies are coming out that we are able to offer with the new panels that were not available with the 16:10 panels.  Examples of new functionality include Such as 4 finger multi-touch w/ stylus and the PremierColor IPS RGB panels with 100% color gamut and 1 billion colors.  Put all of these facts together, availability, cost, and new capabilities, you can see why the migration to 16:9 is happening.

• @Mano Gialusis: Ok, but if 16:9 was the only choice, why didn't you go up to a 18,4 2560x1400 screen? Going down to 1080p from 1200p feels A LOT like a downgrade, even with IPS screen....

• I got Precision for years and uses 1920x1200, why getting a lower resolution lower on those new models????

• I was also expecting at least the same 1920*1200 or better but not going backward, dell ?????

• So if the native resolution of the M6600 is now 1900 x 1080, what happens if I connect it to Dell 24"  U2410  (1920x1200) or Dell 27" U2711 (2560 x 1440)?  PLEASE tell me I will I be able to push the "native" resolution of the external monitors (NOT the laptop) or am I stuck at that lame resolution (1080P).

Thanks

Max

• @MMirabito: yes you will. Don't worry about that.

• Nice that we can get Sandy Bridge in a Dell mobile workstation.  HP seems to have a crop of competitive products with the Elitebook Workstations.  Our Engineering department has been a Dell house for a long time, 14+ years, and we hope to keep it that way, but the competition from HP is pretty fierce.  Dell needs to step it up on the preconfgured models to be competitive (check out the 8560w configurations).

The 1080p for a Workstation seems wonky and unfortunately it is what the manufacturers dictate.  We're looking forward to trying these out to replace some of our desktop workstations.  I'm curious what kind of battery life increase we can expect over the m4500.

• I bought an XPS M170 back in 2005 that had a 1920 X 1200 display.

I needed a second laptop and had to reject the current XPS and Alienware machines because they top out at 1920 X 1080.

Besides, while the Alienware machines are probably great machines, and I imagine they are; I prefer the goodies on the inside of the PC without the sophomoric blinking lights on the outside. I guess I prefer more understated on the outside if a 17 inch laptop can ever be understated.

So I purchased the Precision M6500, and I'm very pleased with it (4 months). This guy comes with the 1920 X 1200 display resolution.

My current problem is my first laptop the XPS M170 died. The video bit the dust again. I returned it to Dell two years ago, and for a $400 fee Dell replaced the video card, keyboard, and the power brick (that was unexpected but appreciated). Evidently this model laptop has a known problem with the video card getting over heated. A friend of my has had his XPS M170 repaired by Dell 3 times, but I digress.

In any case, I once again am in need of a second laptop. Now the Precision 6500 has been replaced by the Precision M6600, and wow this guy tops out at an underwhelming 1600 X 900 or 1920 X 1080.

While I’m sure the multi-touch display is the exact thing somebody absolutely needs; I’d much rather have a 1920 X 1200 display option.

I am not trying to spend this much money on a PC tailored to watch movies.

Does anybody have a clue why Dell is not offering a laptop with a 1920 X 1200 display?

Looks like I’ll not have a second laptop for a while, I just can’t plunk down that kind of cash for a PC that’s going backwards display wise.

By-the-way I did read the post by Mano Gailusis on 16:10 vs the new 16:10 and it misses the point entirely. Laptops at the price & performance range of the Precision models are not purchased for the 16:9 format. There is a whole other world of applications beyond HD TV.

Just think about it a moment. Most people or companies that will buy a Precision laptop already have high end televisions. Why would spend this kind of money on this machine if TV or watching video is your prime application. How long do you think this machine will last on an airplane? There are plenty of other solutions for watching movies. Give back the real estate!!!

I vote with my wallet and I need a second laptop.

The specs on the Precision M6600 are great EXCEPT FOR THE  COCKAMAMIE 16:9 DISPLAY.

At what point is what the customer wants important?

Some vendor that offers highend laptops is going to offer a display that deserves to be paired with Intel's I7-2920XM processor and when they do I will vote again!

Tonyman262

XPS 9100 I7-980x 12GB SDRAM ATI Radeon 5970

XPS 710/720 MB QX6700 8GB SDRAM ATI Radeon 5870

Precision M6500 I7-940XM 16GB SDRAM ATI FirePro M7820

XPS M170 Pentium M 2GB RAM nVidia Geforce Go 6800 Ultra (Recently Deceased) Anybody have a raise dead spell handy?

• I bought an XPS M170 back in 2005 that had a 1920 X 1200 display.

I needed a second laptop and had to reject the current XPS and Alienware machines because they top out at 1920 X 1080.

Besides, while the Alienware machines are probably great machines, and I imagine they are; I prefer the goodies on the inside of the PC without the sophomoric blinking lights on the outside. I guess I prefer it more understated on the outside if a 17 inch laptop can ever be considered understated.

So I purchased the Precision M6500, and I'm very pleased with it (4 months and counting).

This guy comes with the 1920 X 1200 display resolution.

My current problem is my first laptop the XPS M170 died. The video bit the dust again. I returned it to Dell two years ago, and for a $400 fee, Dell replaced the video card, keyboard, and the power brick (that was unexpected but appreciated). Evidently this model laptop has a known problem with the video card getting over heated. A friend of mine has had his XPS M170 repaired by Dell 3 times, but I digress.

In any case, I once again am in need of a second laptop. Now the Precision 6500 has been replaced by the Precision M6600, and wow this guy tops out at an underwhelming 1600 X 900 or 1920 X 1080.

While I’m sure the multi-touch display is the exact thing somebody absolutely needs; I’d much rather have a 1920 X 1200 display option.

I am not trying to spend this much money on a PC with a display tailored to watch movies.

Does anybody have a real clue why Dell is not offering a laptop with a 1920 X 1200 display?

Maybe it was a rush to market, maybe it was to compete with one of the HP models.

What ever the reason, it was NOT to satisfy the majority of people that have demonstrated an interest in this laptop model, not by talk but by actually BUYING IT.

Looks like I’ll not have a second laptop for a while, I just can’t plunk down that kind of cash for a PC that’s going backwards display wise.

By-the-way I did read the post by Mano Gailusis on 16:10 vs the new 16:9 and it misses the point entirely. Laptops at the price & performance range of the Precision models are not purchased just for the 16:9 format. There are whole other worlds of applications beyond HD TV.

Just think about it a moment. Most people or companies that will buy a Precision laptop already have high end televisions. Why would you spend this kind of money on this machine if TV or watching video is your prime application. How long do you think this machine will last on battery in an airplane?

Assuming you had enough room to open it completely anywhere other than first class.

There are plenty of other solutions for watching movies. Give back the display real estate!!!

I vote with my wallet and I need a second laptop.

The specs on the Precision M6600 are great EXCEPT FOR THE  COCKAMAMIE 16:9 DISPLAY.

At what point is what the customer wants important?

Some vendor that offers highend laptops is going to offer a display that deserves to be paired with Intel's I7-2920XM processor and when they do I will vote again!

Tonyman262

XPS 9100 I7-980x 12GB SDRAM ATI Radeon 5970

XPS 710/720 MB QX6700 8GB SDRAM ATI Radeon 5870

Precision M6500 I7-940XM 16GB SDRAM ATI FirePro M7820

XPS M170 Pentium M 2GB RAM nVidia Geforce Go 6800 Ultra (Recently Deceased) Anybody have a raise dead spell handy?

• Mano Gailusis your post about change in this industry is correct as is your example of the transition from CD to DVD. This represents a fine example of the industry moving forward. Same size, familiar format,  tremendous increase in storage. You say "some dislike others embrace", tell me please who would not embrace an obvious step forward? How does that jive with going from 1920 X 1200 to 1920 X 1080?

Please tell me you don't believe that. Please tell me that you were put on the spot and had to put the best face on an awkward choice of displays

The comments about the TV industry are pretty much non sequitur. While the television industry does have panel displays this is not the TV industry and somehow I just can't believe that 17 inch panels are the sweet spot for TVs, like they are for highend laptops.

Whatever new technologies you are offering can only be done on a 16:9 format, yeah right.

Oh well, that's the choice you guys made, enjoy it without my dollars.

Perhaps this is like your choice to go to 1920 X 1080:

Is there anybody itching to buy a Precision M6600 and have a Precision M6500 for sale with an I7-940XM and preferably an ATI FirePro M7820, I will consider an nVidia Quadro card?

See I can go backwards like you. Somehow I think my step backwards makes more sense.

• Dear DELL-Mano G -

I own a Inspiron 9300 and now a Precision M6500, both with WUXGA screens.  I was crushed to see the M6600 with a 1080p screen.  When it comes time to buy another computer, I'm sorry to say I'll look elsewhere.  I really like these two Dells, but I don't want to lose that screen space. When I'm coding or doing CAD or pre- and post-processing CFD simulations, I need not worry about how efficient a 16:9 screen is at displaying a wide variety of aspect ratios for movies.  I work on my computer - and I want another 120 pixels at the bottom of my screen.

I don't really think your "Television Standards" holds a lot of water, either, to be honest.  Is Dell a TV company?  Why are you still selling high-end WUXGA and WQXGA monitors?  Do you really think most businesspeople would rather have the perfect movie aspect ratio or the extra pixels on their screen?  Be it WQXGA down to WXGA, 16:10 is for computers, and until you get this ratio back, I'll buy my next computer elsewhere, from whoever gets this concept.

Best,

KSH

• About AMD Firepro M5950, You said 3 monitors when undocking, that's true; but on the Dell website says that are 4 when undocked (detail's page -->Overview tab). The right thing is what you wrote here. If you connect 3 monitors through the ports of the Laptop (undocked---> VGA, HDMI and Displayport), we would then have a total of 4 display, then the system will disable one of them. It's important to say that it requires "Displayport to Displayport" or alternatively an "active Adapter" (Displayport to DVI). If someone has tested  and it's possible, please leave the reference to view.

• HI,

I just noticed that the configurable Precision m4600's on Dell's website do not have the AMD/ATI video card option anymore.  It was there last week.

Can anyone offer a meaning for that?  I was going to buy and now I'm waiting to find out what the reason is for the change.

thank you