NVIDIA GPU Update: NVIDIA Class Action Settlement and Limited Warranty Enhancement

NVIDIA GPU Update: NVIDIA Class Action Settlement and Limited Warranty Enhancement

Direct2Dell

The Official Dell Corporate Blog

This is my fifth post on the topic of the NVIDIA GPU issue. For those customers who are reading about this for the first time, please refer to my previous post from 2008 that ties each of the earlier posts together. I have closed the comment thread on those earlier posts, so if you have questions or comments, you can respond here.

Some of you may have read the recent news regarding the NVIDIA class action settlement in sites like CNETElectronista and Ubergizmo. This class action lawsuit covers systems purchased in the United States only. More information regarding the settlement can be obtained at www.nvidiasettlement.com. The complete list of affected systems from Dell and other manufacturers can be found here on the NVIDIA settlement site. Other information like Court Documents and Important Dates and Deadlines can be found there as well.

The last time I blogged about the global warranty enhancement policy regarding this issue back in September 2008, I explained that Dell offered customers a worldwide 12-month limited warranty enhancement specific to this NVIDIA GPU issue. The NVIDIA settlement does not change that policy.

Here's more of what I shared then:

"Again, the limited warranty enhancement is specific to this issue and will extend coverage by 12 months from the date the original warranty term for the laptop expires. For example, one-year warranties will be extended to 24 months for this issue only. The maximum combined period for the initial warranty and the limited-warranty enhancement is 60 months. Systems purchased with 60-month warranties will not be extended. Customers whose warranties have expired will be eligible for this limited warranty enhancement from the date the initial warranty expired."

This extra year is in addition to the date your default system warranty expired.

Here are the Dell systems that may experience the NVIDIA GPU issue over time:

Dell Product Name

Dell Precision M2300 Latitude D630 Vostro Notebook 1700
Dell Precision M4300 Latitude D630c Vostro Notebook 1710
Dell Precision M6300 Latitude D820 XPS M1210
Dell Precision M65 Latitude D830 XPS M1330
Inspiron 1420 Vostro Notebook 1310 XPS M1530
Inspiron E1705/ 9400 Vostro Notebook 1400 XPS M1710
Latitude D620 Vostro Notebook 1510 XPS M1730

Customers who have questions about the NVIDIA class action settlement can go to http://nvidiasettlement.com, call 1-877-440-7557, or write to the NVIDIA GPU Litigation Settlement Administrator, P.O. Box 6177, Novato, CA 94948-6177.

Customers outside the United States who have one of the above systems that is exhibiting video failures, please contact Dell Technical Support. Here’s how to do it:

• Go to support.dell.com
  • At the very bottom of the page, select your country in the Choose a Country/Region field
  • Choose Contact Us on the left hand side
  • Click on the More Details link in the Contact Technical Support section
  • Click on the green Telephone button under the Call Tech Support section

If you are a US customer, here’s how to contact Dell in the United States:

1. Phone: Customers in the United States can go to the Contact Technical Support page to choose from several options, including Call Technical Support.
  2. Twitter: Please follow and then reach out to @DellCares
  3. Facebook: Fill out the Dell Support for Facebook Fans form (this requires you to have a Facebook account)

I apologize for any frustration that this issue has caused any of you. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Dell in the ways I mention above, or share your thoughts below.

To post a comment login or create an account

Comment Reminder

Unrelated comments or requests for service will be unpublished. Please post your technical questions in the Support Forums or for direct assistance contact Dell Customer Service or Dell Technical Support.. All comments must adhere to the Dell Community Terms of Use.

Comments
  • Just received notice of the pending potential lawsuit settlement today and went online and verified my computer and parts fell under the defined problem terms.  Sad part is this was the very first I had heard of the issue with any regards to Dell or an extended warranty for the problem.  Funny enough as I purchased my laptop in Aug of 2008 I am now past that extension.  Even more funny is the problem occurred in July and I had to pay out of my own pocket to have it fixed as no service rep. I spoke to (and their were many) had heard of the issue nor was there any association with my service number even though my computer has the bad parts and falls within the assembly timeframe for it's model.  To top it all off, I believe my repair consisted of replacing the affected parts with working versions of the same, as the exact same issue managed to reoccur TODAY right as I was trying to verify my eligibility for reimbursement.  Once again contacted Dell Tech support and customer service reps over phone and after an hour and not speaking to one person who was able to understand the problem and giving my service number a dozen times was simply left with the solution that I would have to front hundreds of my own money AGAIN for a mother board replacement by a person with a heavy accent who I directly heard saying to a coworker that he could not understand what I was referring to.

• Well If you can believe this. I finally got some one at Dell to fix my video problem but when I got the machine back the DVD drive did not work so the sent a tech out who said they had crimped the cable inside at the depot so I had to send it back to the depote for repairs. That same night the video went out again. What is with that!!! the fix lasted exactly 9 days and my machine came back in worse shape than when it went out!!!! I have to send it again. This is reallly messed up and if I could aford it I'd buy a different brand but it took forever to save up for this one so Dell has me stuck and aparently does not care enough to fix my problem properly. They have my money so now Im trash is the feeling I get from them

• Dear Lionel,

I've got a Precision M65 with the known GPU problem. My 3-year professional support period ended in Dec. 2009, so there might be a chance that I could invoke the limited warranty enhancement.

Unfortunately, here at Dell Switzerland it is impossible to get any contact to claim for that enhancement. Upon entering the service tag number, with the ended support period you won't get anything else but a phone number where you can buy additional services. For sure service is a cost factor, but cutting off any communication paths for customers right after the warranty is over leaves a really bad impression about Dell -- quite the opposite of those very positive I had before with the quality of Dell laptops in general.

As the last resort I followed your advise and contacted You personally three times during the past six weeks. I sent all the information you are requesting, but did not get any answer so far.

Since the time is getting short for the warranty enhancement of my M65, I hope to hear soon from You or Dell.

Cheers from Switzerland,

Zefir

• I believe ymac is right.  The settlement is a scam.  2 million to cover the problem?  that will barely cover anything at all, maybe my lunch.  Dell needs to own up to its responsibility and fix this problem.  The fact that other companies have extended their warranty to adequately adhere to the problem is a testament to Dell's horrible customer service. I dont know what will happen to my vostro (most likely sit and collect dust) but I will need to buy another machine.  Definitely not a Dell and I will remind everyone I know to not buy a Dell.  I have told that to Dell too and I think everyone should to remind them the injustice they have committed.  

• Update on my xps m1330 problem. Well after sending my machine to the depot to have the video and dvd fixed for the second time I got it back and within 2 hrs of using the machine the video problem is back.  OMG what do we have to do to get satisfaction and working laptops! I called the phone number given and have to send it off again. The fist time I sent it the preson said the video card is on the mother board, this time the person said it is not on the mother board and that it had been replaced twice so far. Which ever the case cant't they fix the thing or give me my money back and I'll go buy an apple

• Hello Lionel,

I hope you can help me. My warranty expired on 9/20/2010 and now the my Dell Inspiron 1420's problem has escalated to where the all I can see is scramble of coloration and a split screen. This problem has been occurring for several months now. I even talked to the Tech a while back in which the tech didn't believe me that there was something wrong with my NVidia video card. I knew that the video card was the problem. I went through Dell's procedure of diagnostics and at the end it was still no help. The tech would not agree with me at all.

Now the warranty has expired but from my understanding the extended warranty on the issue is added on after my warranty expires? I am confused please enlighten me with the warranty extension. I bought a 3 year warranty in which I bought my laptop in September of 2007. I believe that I am still within the one year extension, is that correct? Thanks I would really appreciate your input on this matter.

Thank you,

Joua

• I have a XPS m1730 bought in May '08 and have recently joined the class action suit (nvidiasettlement.com).  The computer lost all graphics back in June of this year and has been set aside while I tried to determine what to do. Should I send the laptop to Dell or a local repair shop and pay for the repair/replacement parts, then send all of the reimbursement paperwork to nvidia or wait until the settlement in December? I'm outside the extended warranty period and would like for my computer to be useful again. Thanks for all the information here and any future information you may send.

• If you are still within the additional 1 year warranty period, then we will fix your machine as part of that warranty.

For the others who have recently added comments on this thread, please send me a private message with the following details:

• Your service tag number
    • What country you reside in
    • The best way to contact you

If you are from outside the United States and the additional 1-year warranty period has expired, you will need to pay to have your system repaired. 

• I bought my XPS1530M (nVidia chip) in June 2008 with the two year warranty.  Shortly thereafter the nVidia failures were noticed. I got the fix for the BIOS and the machine has done reasonably well except for some video slowdowns after use even with a cooler under it.  I've gone through the Class action qualification and I qualify.  I had chat with a support person who assured me that he would make sure I received the extended warranty coverage and get back to me 24-48 hours to arange for shipping to a repair depot.  This was October 1,2010.  On October 14, 2010 he called and said he's still working on it.  

Yesterday I got the runaround from 4 different Dell support groups and I'd really like to find out just who in Dell I can contact to get a precise answer as to whether Dell will replace the MB or do I have to wait on the Class Action timeline?

• I bought my XPS1530M (nVidia chip) in June 2008 with the two year warranty.  Shortly thereafter the nVidia failures were noticed. I got the fix for the BIOS and the machine has done reasonably well except for some video slowdowns after use even with a cooler under it.  I've gone through the Class action qualification and I qualify.  I had chat with a support person who assured me that he would make sure I received the extended warranty coverage and get back to me 24-48 hours to arange for shipping to a repair depot.  This was October 1,2010.  On October 14, 2010 he called and said he's still working on it.  

Yesterday I got the runaround from 4 different Dell support groups and I'd really like to find out just who in Dell I can contact to get a precise answer as to whether Dell will replace the MB or do I have to wait on the Class Action timeline?

• Used twitter and it looks like this is going to be taken care of. Thanks!

• How is this even fair?  I bought my Dell D620 for grad school back in 7/2006 with a three year warranty.  Earlier this year, the screen all of a sudden went fuzzy.  Since it's my primary computer, I did what any engineer would do, and bought a new screen to fix the issue.  Clearly that didn't fix the problem.  I finally check google, and find out that Dell sold me a product that was known to be defective!.  I called tech support as the blog post told me to, and found out that my warranty expired (despite the fact that the information online told me that my warranty was still valid).  The only option they gave me was to buy a $200 mainboard (for a laptop only worth $400 now), and when I checked the settlement website; the only useful piece of information about this was that the attorneys representing me are charging a mere $13,000,000 in fees.  13 Million. Really? to help me not get any help on a defective product that was sold to me?

• Here is a follow up to my post of Oct. 14th on my experience with the mother board replacement due to the failed NVIDIA GPU.  I am pleased that Dell has replaced the motherboard.  It took a little work on the phone, but it was finally resolved...hopefully.  I am on the third motherboard replacement due to either technician error during motherboard installation or another bad motherboard.   The first repair technician did a bad job for many reasons as stated earlier.  It turns out the worse part was that he did not properly reinstall the heat sink and thermal pads.  Within a day, the machine was overheating anytime I ran any video or entered the BIOS settings.  It would simply turn off as soon as the fan revved up high due to the overheating components.  Dell agreed to replace the board a second time as we did not know the cause of this overheating of the new board.  When the second technician came out with the second replacement board, he confirmed the first technician’s failure on the heat sink.  The second technician did an excellent job.  However, after he left, the laptop would occasionally go to a blank screen on a restart or start on an intermittent basis.  I never had this problem before.  The machine would never go blank once I was in Windows.  However, if I calculated about 20 times that I started or restarted the PC, I’d say that 6 or 7 times I got a dull grayish-black blank screen even though Windows was going through the start up process.  I knew this because I simply shut it down, and on the next restart, Windows would tell me that it was interrupted and asked if I should boot normally or not.  Given that this intermittent behavior could get worse over time, I contacted Dell again.  They agreed this was unusual and they sent a third motherboard.  So far, I have not had the problem with the dull screen anymore.  The technician did a good job on the install, although he had a hard time applying the thin sticky thermal pads on the heat sink for the GPU and CPU areas.  So far the machine seems to be fine.  I notice it runs hot occasionally, so I don’t know if this is normal or given my new sensitivity to thermal problems with this machine.  When this happens, the CPU usage will rise to about 80%.  Sometimes even 100%.  I don’t see exactly what’s causing this.  As a kind of a weird twist to this, I find that this Community web page runs slow on my laptop and the CPU revs up to 65%.  When I type in the post section, the letters appear painfully slow.  It only happens on this site.  Is there a reason for this?  Also, do you guys recommend any software that displays component temps?  My hard drive also seems to run rather hot.  Sorry if this goes slightly off-topic and for the length of this.  I thought this experience could be useful for others with this NVIDIA/motherboard problem

• I have a  an XPS m1210 which I paid over $2000 for.  It admittadly has a defective graphics card in it but dell will not support it. I have to  wait until after the Dec 20 Nvidia court hearing  Ihave vertical lines across my screen and the card no longer works with linux.     Irely on my laptop every day.  My next computer will not be a dell!

They wonder why they are having problems they sucki!

• I'm a college student, and my mother is still paying off the laptop we bought two years ago. I tried to contact Dell upwards of three weeks ago, and still no response. My laptop is displaying graphical errors representative of the Nvidia card failure. I feel pretty wronged here that Dell won't respond to me about a product that they sold me, a product that was guaranteed to fail. Is Dell just trying to sucker more people into paying for a warranty extension? Would love some support.

• I have sent you a private message prior to your last post asking people to do so.  Got nothing.  Been two weeks without a computer at home, and my wallet is still hurting.  After reading some of the latest comments I'm now considering trying to get some of the people on this thread together on a different lawsuit.  This one will be against a particular computer manufacturer that sold me and apparently many others computers with parts they had already identified as defective, did not notify anyone of the problem until the so called extended warranty for the problem had already expired for most of us, used refurbished parts that "supposedly" had the problem fixed (my broken for the second time in four months computer says otherwise) and still does not appear to have any EASILY accessible technical support personnel who even know what is going on in regards to this issue (of course that may be my fault for not being able to speak a south Asian language, since none of them actually understand American).  HP is fully replacing the entire laptop for all of their customers. . . wonder who I should go with for my next purchase.

• Hey SSGJER can we include damages for my friends who had to take their machines in to be serviced after someone at the repair depot sent them viruses on my email account while they were supposed to be fixing my problem again

• My overheating nVidia geForce go7900gs story...  www.enterpriseintegrationsolutions.com/nvidia.htm   Hopefully it can help someone else keep their nVidia card from toasting.

• So the graphics on my m1330 laptop died about 2 weeks ago. Colored lines, same problem everyone else is having.

I am a college student and have to use a relatives laptop to take my exams online at the library.

I'm worried that the NVIDIA settlement will put some sort of limit on repairs, and I won't be able to get it fixed. But I don't want to spend money on fixing it because it says that you may or may not get the full refund for what you paid to fix it.

So my question is, will Dell do anything to fix it if the NVIDIA settlement doesn't?

• Are you in the United States? If so, you can register at www.nvidiasettlement.com.

If you are outside the United States and past the 1 year warranty enhancement period, I can have someone contact you to let you know how much the repair will cost.  Before I can do that, I need you to send me a private message with your service tag number and the best way to contact you.

• Are you in the United States? If so, you can register at www.nvidiasettlement.com.

If you are outside the United States and past the 1 year warranty enhancement period, I can have someone contact you to let you know how much the repair will cost.  Before I can do that, I need you to send me a private message with your service tag number and the best way to contact you.

• Hi Lionel,

Following your recommendations, I've sent you 2 private messages. The second with more details ( Nov 1st and Nov. 4th ).  I also included you in an email sent to another Dell department ( Nov. 6 ) .  I am a bit concerned because so far I received no feed back from you. I don't know if you read or even if you received them.

Finally, I wrote twice the same message in this forum, but they both disapeared in less than 24 hours ( filtered by a moderator ? ? ? ) . If so, I can't figure out why.

Thanks

• Question for Lionel:  My XPS M1210 has had serious video card issues.  I called today and the tech support guy said I couldn't have on site service, even though I believe the extended warranty should cover it since my original warranty covered it.  He is sending me a box to ship my computer away for 3 weeks, that will be a big problem for me.  Is there any possibility that a technician can fix it here on site?  If I ship it to Dell, I will not be charged, is that correct?  Thank you for your help with this matter.

• Trying to send you a private email, not having any luck though, coming back as invalid? I have a Vostro 1310 I was hoping you could help me out with.

My service tag is <ADMIN NOTE: Service tag removed per privacy Policy>,  

Australia & my email address is <ADMIN NOTE: Email id removed per privacy Policy>,  .

Many thanks Lionel

• Sucks for those of us who have expired warranty and live outside US... Never buying dell again...