Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

2 Posts

February 17th, 2024 16:29

XPS 13 9370, why so many recovery partitions?

I am very confused- why does this XPS-13 have so many recovery partitions? 

Do i need them all and if not, which one do I need to save and then kill the rest and integrate the space into my primary active partition?

Thanks for your help.

All the best

steve rose

1 Rookie

• 

6 Posts

February 17th, 2024 19:53

500 MB = EFI

835 MB = WinRE

10.31GB = Recovery (includes Windows 11 Pro with OEM Apps)

1.08GB = Dell SupportAssist OSRecovery (DELL RE)

It normal no worry 😊

Macrium Reflect app it's better to save the partitions to usb or external HHD/SSD if you have except C.

In the future it may damage the partitions or damaged disk or you want to upgrade for more space better don't regret it, make copies 😊

(edited)

1 Rookie

• 

20 Posts

February 17th, 2024 17:13

This is strange. Mine only has 2 partitions. 

1 Rookie

• 

2 Posts

February 17th, 2024 20:48

XMatthew0707X- Thanks for the explanation. Very helpful.

I use MiniTool Partition Ultimate tool and can make a recovery USB with that. BUT, given where things are, is there a way to move all these to a USB or Ext HDD/SSD? I'd use it as a backup to these that are here.

Also, I need to recover Winre.wim so how do i get to it in the recovery partition (and this is a win10Pro machine).

Thanks for your help and all the best.

steve rose

1 Rookie

• 

4 Posts

March 5th, 2024 04:01

Is there a way to relocate those partitions?
I slipped in a larger NVMe drive and would like to grow the system partition, but the recovery partitions are in the way.
So I assume

680 MB = EFI

990 MB = WinRE

15.28 GB = Recovery (includes Windows 10 Pro with OEM Apps)

1.28GB = Dell SupportAssist OSRecovery (DELL RE)

At first, I added 2 partitions for a Linux and a Hackintosh boot option, but I would rather add those to the system partition now.

Which raises some questions:

1. how are those partitions addressed from the code (partition number, disk cylinder,...) ?
2. is there a way to update the "users (support assist, recovery, ... )" of those partitions with a new location?

I did use the boot repair once..... but in which partition would it be? The WinRE?
The factory reset recovery option is not relevant for me. So that partition could be relocated on an external usb stick and removed from the SSD.
I think the WinRE works well from the Stick as well. So its only about the supportassist.
Maybe after the support ran out this is pointless as well?

any thoughts?

(edited)

No Events found!