Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

5 Posts

February 28th, 2024 09:49

Battery Charger Drops From 30% to 7%

Hello!
My DELL XPS 15 inch 7590 has a problem where it suddenly decrease from 25-30% to 7%. I replaced many batteries, but they all had same problem, or the other problem was when my laptop has less than 50% battery after hibernate and switching on it only has 7%. 
I did a search and found that some Lenovo laptops have this sudden drop problem as well, but it can be fixed by adjusting the charge threshold and then charging it for a longer period of time. 

Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

Also, anytime there is a sudden charge dropping, I check the mWh using CMD powercfg, and that decreases by about 2000 mWh.

10 Elder

• 

23.3K Posts

March 2nd, 2024 11:56

Since the issue is either a bad battery or a bad system board -- the latter being in the hundreds to replace, my suggestion is to return the battery and order an OEM replacement.

https://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=category&id=143&subid=1321&refine=battery

Otherwise, you can continue with the battery supplier, but won't have a baseline -- if they don't resolve the issue, you could find yourself spending $350-800 on a mainboard only to find out the issue was sub-par third party batteries all along.

10 Elder

• 

23.3K Posts

February 28th, 2024 12:10

Assuming it's an original battery, it's at the end of it's life-- time for a new battery.

1 Rookie

• 

5 Posts

February 29th, 2024 05:05

@ejn63​ Hello!
Thanks for the reply, This problem occurred in my older battery, so I purchased a new one; still it continued even after I reordered several new batteries.

10 Elder

• 

23.3K Posts

February 29th, 2024 12:44

Are the replacement batteries truly new OEM, or are they old stock, or third-party?  

1 Rookie

• 

5 Posts

February 29th, 2024 14:57

@ejn63​ They are third party new batteries.

10 Elder

• 

23.3K Posts

February 29th, 2024 15:21

To remove the possibility that a stored setting is the issue, unplug the system, disconnect the battery from the mainboard and hold the power button for 30 sec.  Reconnect, charge the battery fully and check again.  If you still get the same issue (rapid draining past a certain point), you could have a number of possible issues:  first, the battery may not properly communicate with the system firmware, or second, that one or more of the cells in the battery is faulty.  Either way, you have some questions for the battery supplier.

1 Rookie

• 

5 Posts

March 2nd, 2024 07:10

@ejn63​ 

This is the info of my battery,

BATTERY 1
NAME DELL 5XJ28
MANUFACTURER LGC-LGC8.33
SERIAL NUMBER 1210
CHEMISTRY LION
DESIGN CAPACITY 96,991 mWh
FULL CHARGE CAPACITY 85,318 mWh
CYCLE COUNT -

I call the supplier they said use it multiple times and it will be fixed, and also there is one thing more I downgraded my bios for a long time now, Do you think may be that causing this problem?

(edited)

1 Rookie

• 

5 Posts

March 4th, 2024 05:46

@ejn63Thank you so much; you were extremely helpful to me.

(edited)

No Events found!