Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

6 Posts

March 13th, 2024 19:30

XPS 8960, rear chassis fan intermittent squeak

I have a 2 month old XPS 8960 with advanced air cooling. No cooling problems and all hardware tests are clear but the rear chassis fan has an intermittent squeak which I have tracked down using a stethoscope. I've contacted Dell for warranty support but their solution is to send the computer back to them for service. This seems overkill for a simple fan replacement that I can do myself. I'd like to give it a try before moving all my data and being without the computer for who knows how long. Can someone please give me the model number of the fan and point me in the direction of where I can purchase?

Thank you

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

March 19th, 2024 19:11

@tortiebiz - You can try contacting DellCares on X and see if you get an acceptable response. And/or start a new thread in Dell's Customer Care forum.

BTW: If the two fans have the identical P/N, if you swap them around, does the squeak go with the fan or stay at the same case/chassis location?  That could rule out a case/chassis component squeak in response to fan activity vs a bum fan, and add support to your request for a replacement fan...

7 Technologist

• 

12.1K Posts

March 13th, 2024 19:48

The fan part number is RKC55. Try this page at MCA and this eBay page. A Google search turns up many more sources.

1 Rookie

• 

26 Posts

March 16th, 2024 13:11

No.

XPS 8960 has a next business day onsite warranty after remote troubleshooting, and this is why I have been continuing to purchase Dell products in the past two decades.

Open a ticket, go through the remote troubleshooting, and then ask them if your desktop has NBD warranty or not?

Be kind and respectful Tell them that you are ready to schedule an onsite visit or ask for shipping a new part to you, whichever is more convenient to them! Decline the desktop shipping to a repair facility option as many times you need to ask for a manager! 

Shipping the PC back and forth for a week or two is not OK for 2 months old $1400+ PC which only needs a $20 easily replaceable part. 

(edited)

1 Rookie

• 

6 Posts

March 17th, 2024 10:45

I agree that shipping a brand new PC back to Dell is unacceptable. Dell warranty support isn't what it used to be.  This is my fourth Dell desktop and will most likely be my last.

I have declined shipping to a repair facility multiple times but Dell won't budge. They will not send out a tech or ship me the part.

I'll swap the fan out myself and take it from there.  The front and rear chassis fans are the same; Model: AFB1212EJ-01, Dell P/N: 76PC8-A00.

1 Rookie

• 

26 Posts

March 17th, 2024 19:16

@tortiebiz

This is very upsetting and makes me worried. I am overseeing 1000+ desktops, servers, and laptops at my clients, pretty much Dell gear only. We are the decision makers when it is time to replace or expand the IT environment of a client. I get discouraged when I hear stuff like this. Have you asked them if the XPS has NBD onsite warranty, have you asked to speak to a manager about it? (Not blaming you for anything!)

1 Rookie

• 

6 Posts

March 19th, 2024 10:35

@S.Tech9​ I have asked to speak with a manager with no luck, I experienced much evasiveness from various technicians who don't seem to really know what they're doing, just reading from a script.  I didn't pay extra for a warranty so I believe I just have basic.

Nevertheless, a brand new computer shouldn't have problems and, in my opinion, the manufacturer should be willing to go the extra mile to resolve them if there are.

I don't want to worry you further but this particular computer has had other problems from day one.  I should have returned it but having had great experiences with Dell in the past I thought they would work with me to resolve.  I was wrong, but since most of the problems were software based I was able to resolve myself.

Hopefully my situation is a one-off and you'll have better luck with your client's gear.

1 Rookie

• 

6 Posts

March 20th, 2024 17:09

@RoHe​ Thank you for the suggestions!

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

March 20th, 2024 18:10

@tortiebiz  - You're welcome. 

Let us know if swapping the fans around is informative, and/or posts on X or in the Customer Care forum  get you the help you need.

1 Rookie

• 

6 Posts

March 30th, 2024 19:34

I ended up purchasing a new fan for under $20 and swapping it out.

No more squeak.

Much easier and worth the money to not have to deal with Dell's customer service or tech support.

Hopefully there won't be any expensive hardware issues with this PC while it's still under warranty that will require assistance from Dell.

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

March 31st, 2024 01:08

Glad you got it sorted...

Save the old fan, in case you need warranty assistance. You can swap it back in, if Tech Support asks you to do that before they provide hardware support...

No Events found!