Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

2 Posts

March 8th, 2024 03:47

XPS 8960, i7-13700, what CPU air coolers fit?

The standard pancake cooler gets very loud when I'm processing videos. What air-cooled CPU coolers mate with this motherboard and CPU? Not interested in water coolers. I've read that Dell has non-standard mounting points and thus most (all?) retail coolers can't be fitted. I was hoping to stay in the $20-$30 range. Will the Dell tower cooler from the XPS 8940 fit? I see those on ebay for $20. What about the Vertoo V5? Any other coolers that have those custom mounting points?

Thanks

1 Rookie

• 

2 Posts

March 14th, 2024 17:33

I ended up buying the Vetroo V5 cooler ($27 with tax, free prime shipping). It does indeed fit the Dell XPS 8960 with the i7-13700 CPU.

Compared with the stock air cooler, I’m getting 10 degrees Celsius lower temps at low CPU usage and 20 degrees Celsius lower temps under high usage.

The stock cooler has a round plate that doesn’t match the rectangle shape of the CPU. The pic shows where the cooler/thermal paste was, and the corners of the CPU aren't in contact with the cooler at all.

When I was processing videos the fan would go high speed, the CPU was hitting 100 Celsius and then got throttled to lower speeds because of the heat.

Did a little math and the volume of the finned/radiator area on the original cooler was about 100 cubic CM. The Vetroo is about 600 cubic CM. The fan is much larger too.

Saw a video where setting the fan to pull the air through the radiator gave 1 degree cooler temps, so that’s how I set mine up.

Now when I edit videos the temps stay at 80 or below and the fan doesn't run at crazy high speed.

There was a bios error on 1st boot (or two) complaining about the fan, I clicked the Continue button and proceeded to boot. The fan was running moderately fast on that 1st boot, but then on 2nd boot it was quiet.

I think a cooler like this should have been included from the factory. But it is a cheap upgrade and definitely worth it if you are using the CPU a lot.

Original cooler in top pic, the Vetroo in bottom pic:

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

March 8th, 2024 21:02

Do you have the Intel Dynamic Tuning driver installed? "Intel Dynamic Tuning is a power and thermal management solution that is used to resolve fan noise, overheating, and performance-related issues of the system."

There is a "tower" type air cooler shown in the Service Manual for XPS 8960. If you don't have that heat sink now, you may also need the specific back-chassis fan for the tower cooler.

Don't know if the XPS 8960 tower cooler is identical to the one used in XPS 8940, so be careful about what you buy on those shopping sites.

You could contact Dell Spare Parts (1-800-357-3355) and see if the cooler and chassis fan are available from Dell and their prices. If nothing else, try to get the part numbers from Spare Parts, which could help you shop at those sites.

Have your Service Tag available when you contact Spare Parts (don't post it here).

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

March 9th, 2024 01:49

And read this thread...

4 Operator

• 

2.1K Posts

March 14th, 2024 19:59

@SpikeyZ​    very nice work!

1 Rookie

• 

26 Posts

March 16th, 2024 19:04

@RoHe​ Just oredered one of these "Tower" coolers, can`t wait to test them on the 8960.

Just tested the Dell Liquid cooler againts my current Dell Basic air coller and I got a 5-8% CPU performace boost with the liquid cooler.

1 Rookie

• 

1 Message

April 6th, 2024 18:35

Is it true that this cooler tower will work in the Dell XPS 8960 i7 13700(noK)  ???

Dell CPU Heatsink Assembly for OptiPlex 7000/7010/Precision Workstation 3660/3660XE/XPS 8950 | Dell USA

1 Rookie

• 

26 Posts

April 6th, 2024 19:59

Yes it does, Dell support confirmed the link and the part number as well.

Also made a video about it with the same Dell XPS 8960 i7 13700 none K.

1 Rookie

• 

1 Message

May 7th, 2024 16:53

@SpikeyZ​ Hi. I wanted to ask you a few questions.

Was there a reason why you put the cpu cooler fan towards the rear and not the front of the case. Curious if it may have been because it didn't fit with the ram stick there. 

Also, what GPU do you have there? I have the 4060 ti and it's a much longer card so was curious about yours.

Thank you!

No Events found!