Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

1 Message

April 4th, 2024 13:13

XPS 8930, BIOS update problem

Hi, I am new to the community. I have an XPS 8930 with a BIOS version 1.0.2. This is clearly out of date. The system was crashing but a new monitor and keyboard has rectified that. However, the fan goes into high speed which would appear to be connected to the out of date BIOS. I have tried creating a flash drive but can't get the F12 key to work. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

7 Technologist

• 

10.4K Posts

April 4th, 2024 15:21

try replace cmos battery with a new one.  then clear cmos settings via motherboard jumper.

the intel 8th gen cpu has been out for 7 tears which is what is inside 8930.  cmos battery is rated for 5 years or less.

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

April 4th, 2024 18:45

If after you replace the battery, you want to update BIOS, you may want to update it in a few steps from 1.0.2, rather than in one giant leap directly to the current v1.31.0.  After each update, confirm PC works properly before doing another update.

And always do BIOS updates entirely outside Windows. Using SupportAssist inside Windows has a higher risk of failing.

Download the .exe file for the update you want to install onto an empty (non-bootable) USB2 stick (FAT32 formatted, not larger than 8 GB).  With PC fully off (not a Restart inside Windows), plug the USB into the PC. Power on and tap F12 when you see the Dell screen.

Select Flash Update from the menu, and when it opens, use tab key to navigate around. Highlight/select the BIOS .exe file on the USB stick and tab to and press the Start button. The PC will reboot itself several times and may shut off and look like it's not doing anything.  Just leave it alone until it's safely back at the desktop. 

No Events found!