Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 5th, 2024 16:17

New XPS DefaultUser0 issue. Can't re-image with recovery USB

XPS 8960

XPS 8960

Hi all, 

I have a brand new XPS desktop, when I pulled it out of the box there was no OOBE whatsoever. Instead, it booted to the windows sign-in screen with a profile I did NOT make called DefaultUser0. I found this is a windows problem, however, the rest of the issues around it appear to be Dell issues to me.

I can't re-image with a USB key, I get to where I'm supposed to choose a partition for windows and it is just a blank list that says "No drives found". 

I cannot boot into recovery mode. When I view the launch options it is a limited list, less than they usually are. I can't reset the PC to factory settings from there, there is simply no button for it where there usually is. As I said before, I cant reset the PC with a USB. And I also can't boot into SupportAssistOS recovery which is a Dell tool I've never used before. When I load up the boot menu that option is simply missing as well. I can't tell if my actual system is missing features or some kind of windows issue. Can someone help me narrow this down?

any solution that involves logging into the PC will not work. Here is what I have access to: BIOS, command prompt, and limited "advanced troubleshooting" options that have not worked for me so far. I need this installation of windows OFF this system so I can start fresh. Can anyone help me narrow this down?

5 Practitioner

• 

2.4K Posts

March 5th, 2024 18:47

Reboot to one-time boot menu - Choose Supportassist OS recovery > Skip > RESET > RESET and Update (Internet Connection is required) 

If SupportAssist OS recovery is missing and than you will have to use the USB. Since your USB doesn't have IRST drivers you can not see the drives for installation. 

Download this driver on a different computer, Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver and Application | Driver Details | Dell US

Run the driver file and choose extract. Go to the extracted folder and Copy the folder named VMD to the USB driver. 

Boot from this USB and on the drive selection window choose Load drivers, choose VMD folder and you should be able to see the drive.  

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

March 5th, 2024 20:27

You can use the Microsoft Media Creation Tool for Win 11 to create a bootable USB stick for a clean install. You can do this on any Windows PC.

Then plug USB stick into XPS 8960 with power off. Power on and enter BIOS setup. Change BIOS SATA Operation to AHCI. Save the change and exit setup. When PC starts to boot, tap F12 to open the boot menu. Select option to boot from USB and follow the prompts. The installer should find all the drivers you need.  When you get to the desktop, run Windows Update to get all the latest updates.

Any Dell software you want/need or drivers not found by Windows, can be downloaded directly from the Dell XPS 8960 support page.

Be sure to check the paperwork that came with the PC, for a small card with the Product Key for Microsoft Office, if you ordered it from Dell with your PC.

(edited)

2 Posts

March 5th, 2024 21:11

@XPS_Man​ 

This was it, SupportOS was missing. I had to re-install with a USB key like you said. Many thanks. 

No Events found!