Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 8th, 2021 07:00

can't downgrade 3040's from 9.x to 8.6x using Merlin - 'error while validating security key'

Just got a bunch of brand new ones with 9.1.2101 but I don't think that makes any difference downgrading from say, 9.1.3129 on older ones that I have here. Neither work trying the downgrade.

Some of the 3040's have the 'optimized for PCoip’ sticker on the bottom, but no sign that PCoIP is in use. We are strictly RDP. The ‘about’ from the System Info looks the same on new batch of 3040's as the older ones.

Flash drives are brand new and known good – because I successfully flashed from 8.6 up to 9.x on our older 3040’s. USB sticks are brand new Kingston datatraveler 16gb.

Per the article on

https://technicalhelp.de/2021/08/25/downgrading-the-thinos-9-firmware/

- Secure boot is disabled.
- It says to clear TPM but I don’t see that in the bios here on 3040’s.

Merlin Image is the newest one that is available on the Dell site - 8.6_710

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=454w8&oscode=thn80&productcode=wyse-3040-thin-client

The stick and image seem recognized, since Merlin starts up, but when the push starts, it returns

!

Error while validating security key (error code: 233)

-eeprom validation
-mismatch between Security key of the device and security key present in the XML file of image package
-check if you are trying to deploy correct image for the intended platfrom. Re-register the correct image package”

Googling reveals various reasons this could be from similar hits, though this exact error message has been around a while for various flavors of thin client trouble.

Suggestions? 

Thanks very much Dell comm. : ) 

15 Posts

October 13th, 2021 15:00

The solution, btw is: despite the fact that 3040's that come able to use PCoIP (meaning they will say "teradici PCoIP optimized" on the bottom ) - even if you never use PCoIP - you need to use the merlin firmware flash version that is specifically for those units, vs the ones that cannot use PCoIP. 

However, while that was indeed the case, there is still something wrong with the Merlin 8.6_710 image for PCoIP; it freezes at the very end when it is finished. You can let it sit there for an hour+, and it never gracefully finishes at 100% progress, even clicking the 'ok' button on the lower right. Same result regardless of otherwise known good USB stick type used, nor usb port, on multiple brand new 3040's. I passed this information on to Wyse phone support and suggested they escalate it. 

But! if you reboot the frozen 3040 after the downgrade at that point, it will boot up and work as if the imaging had finished properly.

3 Apprentice

• 

712 Posts

October 12th, 2021 05:00

Please contact support on this.  They can walk you through the resolution. 

No Events found!