Start a Conversation

Unsolved

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

March 19th, 2024 10:57

WinPatrol still works

I know WinPatrol hasn't been updated in years.   In fact, I still use version 32 from 2014 (the last version that BillP had his hands on).   
WinPatrol is not based on "signatures", so the lack of recent updates is not a disqualification.
Granted, there are new startup mechanisms of which WinPatrol is "unaware".   But for those that it knows to monitor, it still works!
Case in point:   Today, on two of my Win10 systems, it alerted me that a run-once item had been added, to be run on the next reboot.   That item was BCILauncher.EXE, "a program created by Microsoft that's made specifically to launch the Bing Chat Installer app BingChatInstaller.exe.

After BCILauncher.exe launches it, the Bing Chat Installer can make Bing your default search engine if you accept the change to Windows. This launcher appeared in the KB5033372 Windows OS update
".

Scotty may be a "senior" puppy, but he is still a wonderful watchdog! :-)

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

March 19th, 2024 19:35

Nice that something is still looking out for you! 

This thread is an alert to anyone who might get KB5033372, not know what it is or does, and suddenly find their default search engine is Bing. 

So far I don't have any indication that update was installed on my Win 10 PC, either by searching for that KB number or for either .exe file name.

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

April 5th, 2024 01:22

WinPatrol just alerted me to the same attempt to foist Bing on my PCs, and I of course blocked it. I agree with ky331 as to the continued utility of WP. Can one still download this last working free version by BillP? (no point in buying the Plus upgrade, as it does not work).

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

April 9th, 2024 10:37

Joe, 

I did a websearch, and found that v32.0.2014.5, the last version with BillP still involved, can be downloaded from Download WinPatrol 32.0.2014.5 for Windows - Filehippo.com 
CAUTION:   The download button may offer you an additional program --- it offered me WinZip --- which I declined.

If you have any qualms about FileHippo, you may consider getting a slightly more recent version, 33 .1.2015. 0 , from Bleeping Computer, Download WinPatrol (bleepingcomputer.com)

No Events found!