Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 6th, 2022 08:00

Virus removal

Inspiron 5400 AIO

Inspiron 5400 AIO

I have a windows 11 Dell desktop and a windows 11 Acer laptop.

Every hour or so a pop up window appears at the down-right corner of the screen saying that the computer is infected with viruses and I need to buy McAfee antivirus program to clean it. Some other times it says “Trojan virus detected turn on your antivirus via Microsoft Ede.” The message is under the title “a.captcha4you.top”. I've done a google search to find that “captcha4you.top” is an adware or malware which somehow was installed in my computer. McAfee is not installed on my computer. F-Secure in installed instead. I've tried a few things to get rid of this virus but to no avail. I have reset my web browser settings. I've tried to clean it with Malwarebytes, HitmanPro, ESE Online Scanner. Nothing has worked so far. Has anybody had a similar experience?

192 Posts

November 6th, 2022 12:00

Have seen an increase of this on client machines. Check that you don't have malicious websites in your browser's notification settings. I usually delete the allowed websites and turn off notifications unless the client wants them. Also check your browser extensions.

7 Technologist

• 

10.4K Posts

November 6th, 2022 10:00

Such a virus pop up means a malware has been implanted in your pc prompting you to install a third party software which in itself is often the real virus laden software they want to scare you into installing.  They could not install the virus directly without your tacit agreement so they tricked you into believing you are infected and need help.  Common bad practice of bad players.  Unfortunately I do not know a good way to get rid of malware that wants to bait you, other than backing up data and do a clean OS install (which wipes the drive).

1 Rookie

• 

402 Posts

November 6th, 2022 11:00

This page looks like it may help.

Generally, I'm with @redxps630 : nothing works like backing up your files and reinstalling Windows.

33 Posts

November 10th, 2022 14:00

I'd like to thank 68cutlass for his advice. I have checked my browser's notifications settings and blocked certain websites including “a.captcha4you.top”. Ever since the annoying pop-up window does not appear on screen. Thank you very much!!

No Events found!