Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

11 Posts

October 25th, 2022 11:00

Removing McAfee LiveSafe Windows 11

I have an XPS 8950, and I want to remove McAfee LiveSafe and use Windows Defender and firewall. I intend to remove it using Windows 11 remove programs. Is there a better way? Has anyone had problems using this method? I assume that once it is removed, I will be able to start Windows Defender. I used this method to remove Norton from a Surface Go tablet with Windows 10 several years ago and had no problems, but I cannot recall the particulars of doing it. Thanks.

7 Technologist

• 

12.1K Posts

October 25th, 2022 15:00

This page at Nerdschalk should help. And yes once removed Windows Security will take over.. And for the record Windows Security is consistently rated one of the top security programs by independent AV sites.

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

October 25th, 2022 16:00

From @JOcean  link I'd suggest using the McAfee EXE, MCPR.

I'd ALSO suggest before doing so, MAKE A FULL C: back-up. Use the Free Macrium Reflect if you do not have a back-up program.

Why? Well a few years ago I tried removing McAfee and wound up with a PC that would NOT boot. I then had to re-install the OS as I never made a back-up. 

I have had success using Norton's Removal tool, so it is possible that McAfee's would work.

I should say that we have a 5 PC license for Norton, and 2 empty slots. I was going to install it on my XPS when the McAfee ran out, but the renewal was cheap enough so I decided to renew it than take a chance.

You choice, but no matter what you do, make a back up before doing anything (other than renewing).

7 Technologist

• 

12.1K Posts

October 25th, 2022 20:00

@ispalten has a very good point. McAfee can be a trick at times to uninstall. That tool can be found here with more information.

32 Posts

October 25th, 2022 22:00

I just uninstalled McAfee Total Protection on Saturday so I could install McAfee Antivirus plus, which I get through my internet provider. No issues using the remove programs through control panel. Check the box that says remove all files associated with program if you have no intention of reinstalling. McAfee Web Advisor will not uninstall with it. You have to do that after you restart. McAfee's site has instructions on this and also using the McAfee Removal Tool if you have problems uninstalling. BTW I have windows 10, according to McAfee's site it is the same instructions for Windows 11.

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

October 26th, 2022 12:00

Be sure to register at the McAfee site first before uninstalling it. If you suddenly decide you want to use McAfee,  you'll be able to download it for free and use it for the remaining balance of time in your subscription.

Can't hurt to register, even if you never re-install it...

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

October 30th, 2022 18:00

For many years (since Dell first included McAfee by default in computer purchases, with no option to decline its inclusion in the final purchase), I have made uninstalling McAfee job #1 when configuring my new computers. I did this because of many historical problems with McAfee products reported in this forum , and especially problems with uninstalling McAfee products.

With all my new Dell Windows computers, I made sure that I never registered McAfee, and never installed it. I always used McAfee's uninstall tool (MCPR.exe) to make sure it was completely erased before it had a chance to sink its hooks into my systems. This always worked well, and I never regretted this.

Folks who feel they have paid for McAfee, and are reluctant to uninstall it, should be aware that the default free Windows Security program "Windows Defender" will activate automatically once McAfee is uninstalled. After many years, I am satisfied that this free Windows antimalware protection equals the best paid security programs out there. Independent AV test sites support this for several years.

Since adopting this policy for my systems, none have been compromised in many years.

No Events found!