Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

42 Posts

April 16th, 2024 07:23

Can we upgrade idrac 4.4 firmware version direct to latest idrac 7.0 version ?

Hi Team

Can we upgrade idrac 4.4 firmware version direct to latest idrac 7.0 version ?

Thank you

• 

2.2K Posts

April 16th, 2024 12:53

Hello, 

No, upgrading directly from iDRAC 4.4 to iDRAC 7.0 is not recommended by us.  While it might be technically possible, it is a significant jump in versions and could potentially cause instability or unexpected issues. Dell recommends following a staged upgrade path to ensure a smooth and successful update process. This typically involves upgrading to a specific intermediate version of iDRAC firmware before applying the latest version (7.0 in this case).

Hope that helps!

1 Rookie

• 

42 Posts

April 17th, 2024 06:36

@DELL-Erman O​ 

Hi ,

Thank you for your advice on the upgrade process.

May i know what is your recommendation ? which intermediate version of iDRAC firmware - we should upgrade first before proceed to Idrac 7.0

Thank you

Thank you 

1 Rookie

• 

42 Posts

April 17th, 2024 06:48

Another question

When upgrading IDRAC, do we need to upgrade bios as well ? 

or We can upgrade idrac without upgrading the bios ? 

Can provide more details of the step and what is the best practise ? 

Thank you 

• 

2.2K Posts

April 17th, 2024 07:45

Hi, 

Yes you will need to move BIOS and iDrac up together step by step. I don't know the model of the server, but for example, I took the screenshot below for R740. You should also update your BIOS version by selecting the ones closest to the iDRAC dates here, first the BIOS and then the iDRAC version. You can access the firmware by entering the service tag of the server here.

https://dell.to/4cXsRi9

I would follow this path without making too big leaps.

1 Rookie

• 

42 Posts

April 19th, 2024 08:00

Hi Dell,

Add on question 

If we have other card like PERC controller - do i need to update along ? or we can upgrade for bios and idrac firmware version ? 

• 

2.2K Posts

April 19th, 2024 08:23

Hi, 

In fact, the ideal strategy for updating is the one I mentioned before. You can think of it like this: If there is a huge version jump in an update, it is necessary to make updates that will act as a bridge in between. Otherwise, there may be a problem with the relevant hardware.

Hope that helps!

No Events found!