Conversation Type :

Published Date :

Lifetime

Category

Most Recent
M

Community Accepted Solution

XPS 8960, dual boot to SSD or HDD

I bought an XPS 8960 to replace a very old Dell Dimension E510 running Win10 on a 2TB HDD. I would like to dual boot the XPS to its stock NVMe SSD (drive C:) Win11 or to the old HDD from the E510. So I installed the old HDD into the XPS (this showed up as an F: drive in Win11, NTFS, Healthy, IFS par

Question

XPS 8950, unknown device in Device Manager?

I have an unknown device showing up = Hardware Ids show Root\DellInsDrv How do I resolve this? I'm running the stock system with Windows 11 Pro. I have run the Dell driver related scanning and it states everything is up to date.

Question

XPS 8960, Service Tag cannot be processed for retail registration

I just now tried to register my brand new XPS 8960 and was surprised to receive this message: Was I sold a used computer?

Question

XPS 8960, why include "HP Smart"?

Like the title says: Why does my brand new factory-fresh XPS 8960 have an HP Smart app?

Question

XPS 8930, replacing top case fan (78JPW: Not fitting)

Recently, I got some amazing help from 3 rock stars here, but have run into a small problem.... the fitting for the top case fan. Per the serial number details here, I have the CORRECT bracket/case for holding the Aurora R5-6-7 120mm fan (7M0F5) as the top case fan. The problem is that the screw h

Question

XPS 8700, BIOS verify or re-install?

Looking for a way to reload (or verify) BIOS on XPS 8700.   I was rooted while running Linux ever since have had problems booting. Can't access BIOS setup, no Dell logo on boot.  Have REPLACED hard drive, cleared CMOS (rtcrst) & PSWD Pulled CMOS battery. Tried to access BIOS w/o hard d

Question

XPS 8960, Ethernet vs. WiFi when you have both?

My soon-to-arrive XPS 8960 has both an Ethernet adapter and a 'killer' WiFi adapter. I plan to use an Ethernet cable. I learned that the priority of network adapters is determined by their interface metric value. The adapter with the lowest IM value takes priority over others. Does Dell ship XPS d

Question

XPS 8930 Question about installing a NVme 2.0

I have the PCI Express x4 card slot. It only looks to be a little under 2 inches long. I am wanting to buya Samsung 970 evo NVme. Not sure about if I am going to get 2tb or 1tb. Only 30 dollars difference inprice. The adapter I want to use is from MHQJRH. Not sure if that is a good brand or not. I a

Question

XPS 8930, using wireless Wi-Fi as well as network card

Hello, I'd like to ask a rather odd question. Can I use the wireless network adapter already in my system to receive and transmit data, and connect my Synology NAS using the network card already installed? It appear that the internet provider in our building is no longer going to be able to offer A

Question

DisplayPort Backwards Compatibility

I will soon receive my XPS 8960. It has a graphics card that supports Displayport 2.1. My beloved but elderly monitor has a Displayport 1.1 connector. Is DP 2.1 backwards compatible with DP 1.1? If the answer is (hopefully) yes, can I use a DP 2.1 cable to connect my monitor? Thanks for your h

Question

Will a i7-6700 xps 8920?

It may not be on the list but will the i7-6700 work with the 8920? I looked at used cpu prices, and decided to buy another precision 3620 with a i7-6700, an absolute bargain. I planned to use the cpu to do a final test (bios) on the dead 8920, then realised it wasn't on the 8920's cpu list. Oh' h

Question

XPS 8930, mounting for HDD2 and 3?

I want to add one or two additional (3.5in) hard disks to my existing desktop, while leaving the original in place. The top side bay with the original disk (labeled HDD1) mounts the drive into place with a plastic caddy within a metal bracket, and I have extra plastic caddies. The additional b

Question

XPS 8930, randomly reloading following upgrade

I recently upgraded the SSD on my XPS 8930 desktop and since then I have been experiencing seemingly random reloads due to - Event 41 Kernel-Power ‘The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpec

Question

Official Solution

XPS 8940, Nvidia RTX 2060 6GB, lock up starting again!

I'm running Nvidia Driver 536.67 for a short while... a week or two. Wed., the MS Update Patch Tuesday was installed. Had a lock-up, classical, had a window open and clicked on a desktop icon to open it, lock up. Today, had Revo Uninstaller open and clicked on a left tab selection, lock up.

Question

XPS 8930, BSOD with Unsolvable Critical Events in Troubleshooting

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz 3.19 GHz Windows 10 Home, Version 22H2 OS Build 19045.3208 Three weeks ago, before an international trip, I started to have problems that gave rise to a BSOD. I made some changes that seemed to fix it, and did BIOS update, but upon return, they

Question

XPS 8930, looking inside, RAM slots, add SSD

1. I want to upgrade the ram from 16mb to 32mb. According to plans I have seen and what task manager says, I should have 4 slots, but I only see two. I will look again later, but I only see two long ram sticks. (unless they put a dummy in two of the slots. I was all prepared to change the power supp

Question

Closed

XPS 8930 Failed to replace the m.2 drive

I have a XPS 8390 desktop which came with a m.2 256G drive that has the windows 10 OS on it. Several years ago I installed a Samsung SSD and put a fresh copy of windows 10 on the SSD, left the original m.2 OS drive intact. It shows up in Win10 as a data drive (I don't remember whether I did anythin

Question

Closed

Better graphics card for XPS 8700?

Well I want to get a better graphics card (bc the one I have is not exactly the best) and so here I am.The specs are: Stock 460w psu Intel i7-4770 at 3.40 GHz 12 gigs of ram (gonna upgrade to 24 gigs sooner or later) Nvidia GeForce GT 635 I want to get a graphics card hopefully from nvidia

Question

Closed

I installed a new 3.5" hard drive. How do I get the computer to recognize the new drive?

I installed a new 3.5" hard drive. How do I get the computer to recognize the new hard drive? I currently have the 500GB installed that I bought with the system, but it is near capacity. The new SATA drive is 1.5TB, and Dell told me that is the maximum it can be (2TB in total). But now that I instal

Question

Closed

XPS 8700, how to go about upgrading this dinosaur

TLDR:XPS 8700 I5 4440 / Dell 0KWVT8 MOBO Intel LGA 1150 CPU Socket / GT 635 GPU / No upgrade to HDD (whatever comes standard with model) / 460w PSU / 16GB of ram. What can I do to make this pc a better gaming machine without changing the MOBO? I was given this desktop for free from my father who had

Question

Dell Support Results

No Results found!