Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

17 Posts

March 18th, 2024 01:26

R730xd and ConnectX-4 NIC (cx456A)

I recently installed a Dell Mellanox cx456A ConnectX-4 100 gbE NIC (Dell P/N 0NNJ2M) into a R730xd.  The card is listed as being introduced with the 14 generation family (ie R740/R740xd etc.)  The server is running Ubuntu 22.04 but the OS does not present a NIC interface with ifconfig.

I have downloaded the drivers from Nvidia (who bought Mellanox) website for Ubuntu 22.04.  The utilities (mlnxfwmanager/mxconfig etc) list the card as detected.

I thought perhaps updating the firmware might solve my problems but I have so far been unable to update the firmware.

I know the card works because I ran the NIC in a supermicro X9 server that uses an E5-2600 V2 series chip (which is equivalent to Dell 12th generation) and it is recognized by the Ubuntu OS, but not with the R730xd.

lspci -vv | grep Mellanox  confirms the NIC is indeed present in the R730xd system.  Any ideas?

Again, this is the ConnectX-4 (100 gbE) not the ConnectX-4 LX (25 gbE)

Any help is much appreciated.

• 

3.1K Posts

March 18th, 2024 08:00

Hi,

You are right, DPN# NNJ2M is for 14G PowerEdge for compatibility. You will need DPN# NHYP5 for ConnectX-4 Dual Port 100 GbE QSFP Network Adapter on 13G PowerEdge servers. 

As of Dell support, I am unable to provide much information on DPN# NNJ2M compatibility. If you're looking for advice or feedback from other users if they manage to make it work, I suggest wait for a while for any replies. 

1 Rookie

• 

17 Posts

March 19th, 2024 03:31

@DELL-Joey C​ 

Thank you for the fast response.  I will look into the NHYP5.  I really appreciate it.  I am curious however because the card is recognized correctly by Server 2019, and the DELL drivers for Server 2019 install.  Its just with linux.  Again thank you for the Correct Part number.

• 

3.1K Posts

March 19th, 2024 05:05

Hi,

As definite need for driver, then only the component that allows the OS to communicate with and control hardware devices. Without an appropriate driver that works, the OS will not be able to control the hardware. Out of Dell support capability, I might be able to advice or give opinion on how we can proceed to help until someone here in the public manage to successfully use NNJ2M on R730XD with proper driver on Ubuntu 22.04.

1 Rookie

• 

17 Posts

March 19th, 2024 14:09

@DELL-Joey C​ 

Would you be able to tell me if this is the correct firmware update for NNJ2M:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=0j8t5

Thank you again for your assistance in this.  I looked by part number, but came up empty handed so I used Connectx-4 as the search term.  I made sure it was not the ConnectX-4 Lx driver/firmware

• 

3.4K Posts

March 19th, 2024 17:29

Hello,

yes it is that one, the NNJ2M is not the Lx version.

Thanks

1 Rookie

• 

17 Posts

March 25th, 2024 15:28

@DELL-Marco B​ 

@DELL-Joey C​ 

I purchased the DPN# NHYP5 as suggested by Joey, this fixed the problem in that the Ubuntu OS now recognizes the card.  However, I am unable to install the DELL driver update 0J8T5, which should update the firmware for the ConnectX-4 series of cards.  It states that this update is not compatible with my configuration.  Could you let me know if driver update 0J8T5 would work for DPN# NHYP5 as well?  Please accept my thanks to both of you for pointing me in the right direction as to the dell certified part I needed.  It was some years ago that I received amazing help with a powerconnect 6248P switch, and have never regretted my decision to purchase DELL even after EOL. 

1 Rookie

• 

17 Posts

March 25th, 2024 15:33

@DELL-Marco B​ 

@DELL-Joey C​ 

One final question, what would be the part number for the Dual Port 40 GBE (QSFP+) NIC?  I believe it is a ConnectX-3 Pro series adapter that is compatible with 13th generation.  I am trying to connect this R730xd to a Dell Powerconnect 8132F switch and have been told that the 100GB is incompatible with the 40GB uplink ports on the switch since I am trying to connect a QSFP28 transceiver to a QSFP+ transceiver.  I can start another thread for this particular question if it is off-topic.  Again thank you for your time.

• 

8.5K Posts

March 25th, 2024 17:00

Hindutool1,

As far as the 0J8T5 update, it does appear to be supported on both, but if you are having issues running it I would look at the version of Ubuntu you are running, and you can also see if the updates located here and here work for you. 

As far as your second question, I would suggest creating another post for it, as it is a different topic and it can make it easier for others with the same issue to find in the future. 

Hope your day is going well and let me know if this helps.

1 Rookie

• 

17 Posts

March 25th, 2024 17:57

@DELL-Chris H​ 

Both of those links are for a ConnectX-4 LX (25 GBE), the card I have is Dell P/N: NHYP5 which is a ConnectX-4 (100 GBE).  It is not the LX model.  Would these drivers still work?  The DELL driver update 0J8T5 I mentioned in my earlier post is for the non-Lx version.  Will this make a difference?  Thank you again.

• 

3.3K Posts

March 25th, 2024 18:56

Hello,

I check the Nvidia site and 12.28.45.12 shows a Current version for ConnectX-4, 0NHYP5, (non-Lx).

See if this can help:

Dell EMC ConnectX-4 Firmware Download Center

https://dell.to/4cvbiWm

Scroll down to ConnectX-4 button.

Click Current version shows : 12.28.45.12

12.28.4512, 0NHYP5_0XR0K2, DELl2150110033

1 Rookie

• 

17 Posts

March 25th, 2024 19:53

@DELL-Charles R​ 

Thanks so much!  I scoured the Nvidia website for a week, and did not see this, I just found generic drivers!  Thanks.  You guys are the best!

(edited)

No Events found!