Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 16th, 2024 14:12

R530 Drive Replacement

Team,

We recently had a predictive failure on one of our raid 5 drives, the global hotspare kicked off and rebuilt the drive successfully.  However, after the rebuild was completed.  We swapped out the bad drive with a new one; the server won't spin up the new drive to assign it as a global hotspare (we've tried drives that we know work), it's like it doesn't have power.  We replaced the backplane to see if that was causing the issue;  no Luck, any ideas?  I'm sure this has been seen in the past.  It's Disk 6 in Backplane 1 that's giving us issues.  Thank you everyone who has any information on this issue.

EDIT: I Forgot to mention that within the bios on the perc raid controller it doesn't list Disk 6 in Backplane 1

• 

3.3K Posts

February 16th, 2024 18:22

Hello,

When I hear the drive won't power up I recommend to make sure the drive is in the correct screw holes for the drive on a universal carrier (SAS or SATA). See if you can verify that.

Next can you post a picture of the drive showing the drive label with the Dell DP/N number so I can check if it is validated for the R530?

Does another drive work in the slot?

4 Posts

February 22nd, 2024 15:18

@DELL-Charles R​ Charles, Thank you for the feedback/response.  The drive was not seated correctly in the universal carrier and needed to be switched from SATA to SAS.  Have a great rest of your week!

• 

3.3K Posts

February 22nd, 2024 15:21

That is great to see. Thank you for the update.

No Events found!