Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

46 Posts

December 25th, 2023 07:44

M630 Blade With HWC2014 Code

Hello,

I have an M630 Blade with a HWC2014 Code and the error message is "A hardware misconfiguration detected on BP1 Cfg." I am not sure what this means or where to look. I checked out this link:

Event and Error Message Reference Guide for 13th Generation Dell PowerEdge ServersVersion 1.2 | Dell US

HWC2014

A hardware misconfiguration detected on arg1 .
Arguments
arg1 = name
Detailed Description
None.
Recommended Response Action
Make sure the hardware is installed correctly. Refer to the product documentation for correct configuration and installation procedures.
Category
System Health (HWC = Hardware Config)
Severity
Severity 1 (Critical)
Trap/EventID
LCD Message
A hardware misconfiguration detected on <name>. Check hardware

From the Chassis Log on Blade:

HWC2014: A hardware misconfiguration detected on BP1 Cfg.
Log Sequence Number: 109382
Detailed Description:
None.
Recommended Action:
Make sure the hardware is installed correctly. Refer to the product documentation for correct configuration and installation procedures.

It is pretty generic and does not tell me much. What do you think this means? It happens when I power off the server and pull the blade out of the VRTX and insert it back in then power it on. What do you think? Thank you.

1 Rookie

• 

46 Posts

December 26th, 2023 19:10

@DELL-Chris H​ 

BAM! It is the motherboard connector on the blade. I tried another SATA module. Booted it up and did the same thing. The issue lies on the motherboard itself and in closer inspection there is a giant scratch / mark in that connection areas. Thanks everyone for your help.

• 

2.2K Posts

December 25th, 2023 14:11

Hello, the HWC2014 error code that you’re encountering on your M630 Blade is indicative of a hardware configuration issue. This type of error usually arises when the system identifies a hardware setup misconfiguration. The term “BP1 Cfg” in the error message is likely pointing to a specific component or configuration setting within your system.

The error message advises you to verify the correct installation of the hardware and to consult the product documentation for the proper configuration and installation procedures. This could imply that the blade may not be properly positioned in the chassis, or there might be a hardware issue on the blade itself.

Given that the error occurs when you power off the server, remove the blade from the VRTX, and then reinsert it and power it on, it’s possible that the blade is not being reinserted correctly or that there is a problem with the blade’s hardware that is only detected upon power on.

Here are a few steps you could take:

1. Re-seat the Blade: Power off the server, remove the blade, and then reinsert it, making sure it is properly seated in the chassis.
  2. Check the Hardware: Inspect the blade for any obvious signs of damage. If possible, test the blade in a different slot or a different server to rule out a problem with the blade itself.
  3. Update Firmware: Ensure that the blade server’s firmware is up to date. Sometimes, hardware configuration errors can be caused by outdated firmware.

1 Rookie

• 

46 Posts

December 25th, 2023 19:04

Hello,

Thank you for your response. I did the following. See answers below:

Re-seat the Blade: Power off the server, remove the blade, and then reinsert it, making sure it is properly seated in the chassis.

A.  Tried two different slots in the VRTX - Same error on Blade.

Check the Hardware: Inspect the blade for any obvious signs of damage. If possible, test the blade in a different slot or a different server to rule out a problem with the blade itself. 

A. I have pulled and replaced all the hardware and reseated all hardware and made sure the config matched that each memory module and proc matched along with no errors on the blade itself for memory, CPU, etc. Same issue.

Update Firmware: Ensure that the blade server’s firmware is up to date. Sometimes, hardware configuration errors can be caused by outdated firmware.

A. This is the first thing I did before I installed an Operating System on the Blade, but I do appreciate it.

Now I am just lost as I do not know what to do now and I think I have a defective blade at this point. Any other ideas you may have? Do you think the error is a generic error predicting failure at some point on the blade? Thank you for your time.

(edited)

• 

3.7K Posts

December 26th, 2023 03:28

HWC2014 -> after this error, does your system still work? It sounds like you may need to try reseating the cables in the VRTX, not necessarily the blade nodes. Respectfully,

1 Rookie

• 

46 Posts

December 26th, 2023 16:22

@DELL-Young E​ 

Yes it boots with no issues at all. What cables are you referring too? What cables do you mean specifically? All other blade nodes in my VRTX work just fine and do not have any boot issues, hence the reason I think the blade is defective. Thank you for your help.

(edited)

• 

8.5K Posts

December 26th, 2023 16:44

I believe they were referring to the backplane connections. Now if you reseat the backplane and the issue persists then it is likely the backplane itself or the board it is connected to. Also, if you have another free M630 you can try swapping the backplane for testing purposes. 

1 Rookie

• 

46 Posts

December 26th, 2023 17:14

@DELL-Chris H​ 

Are you referring to the midplane inside the VRTX? I have another M630 blade in the VRTX that currently is running fine with no issues at all. Where is the backplane you are referring too? I am not familair with that? Is it in the blade itself? The only backbplane I am aware of is the 2.5” SATA connection that plugs into the motherboard ln the blade. This is good information. Thank you!

(edited)

• 

8.5K Posts

December 26th, 2023 18:08

It should be in the M630, not the enclosure. Page 106 here goes over removing/reseating it. 

No Events found!