Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 20th, 2024 15:56

Dell R730XD replace perc with HBA

I have a Dell R730XD that is configured as 24+2 using the perc card that will be used with ZFS.  I have heard that this card doesn't act as a "true" HBA so was thinking of replacing the perc with an HBA330.  Will this work fine with my SAS expander?  Which model do I need to get?

One think I did change with this system is adding the NVME card so I get the 4xU.2 drives, which has been working great so far.  Not sure if this will affect the ability to use an HBA330.

• 

3.3K Posts

March 20th, 2024 20:47

Hello,

Could you verify the configuration you currently have?

Cabling pages 171-181

https://dell.to/3Vmbtxf

If you are replacing a mini PERC H300 with mini PERC HBA330 it should be a direct replacement.

Part #:P2R3R

Part Desc.:PWA,CTL,HBA330,MCRD

6 Posts

March 20th, 2024 23:25

@DELL-Charles R​ from the factory it was option 1, but I converted it to option 3 by installing the PCIE controller and cable kit.

As a bonus question, is there a way to either convert the back two drives to use the onboard SATA connectors or a kit to mount and power two more drives inside that run off the SATA connectors?  I ask because I would love to have two SATA drives that I can run the OS from and pass through the HBA controller to a VM that will run ZFS.

• 

3.7K Posts

March 21st, 2024 04:47

Hello, 

For this

"is there a way to either convert the back two drives to use the onboard SATA connectors or a kit to mount and power two more drives inside that run off the SATA connectors?"

I'm afraid the answer is a no, to my knowledge.

Respectfully,

No Events found!