Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 19th, 2024 19:27

SSD Slot Diagram for Precision 7760?

I find it astounding that Dell doesn't seem to have a SSD slot diagram in existence. Can anyone tell me the orientation of the SSD slots in the Precision 7760?

March 1st, 2024 18:19

Summary: The Dell Service Manual for information on SSD "slot" placement is confusing. For my 7760 without the additional door on the bottom, the boot and actual PRIMARY DRIVE is in the center of the motherboard, marked on the motherboard AND in the BIOS as "SSD-0". For some reason, the Dell Service Manual calls this a "secondary M.2 Solid-state drive".

For the drive called "slot 6" (SSD-0) in the Dell Service Manual on p.19 it says, "This slot supports only M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 Solid-state drive and does not support any Optane, SATA, or M.2 2230 Solid-state drive".

The Dell Service Manual calls the remaining additional SECONDARY drives located in the lower left corner of the motherboard as "primary M.2 Solid-state drive" They are designated in BIOS as SSD-1, SSD-2, SSD-3. The marking on the plastic plate over the motherboard lists them as #3, #4, #5, and the Dell Service Manual correctly lists them as slot #3, #4, #5, but calls them "primary" drives. On p.30, the manual also notes "Slot 3, slot 4, and slot 5 supports PCIe Gen3, Optane, and SATA Solid-state drive".

Sometimes the manual, the BIOS, and the motherboard don't agree.

I appreciate everyone that replied to my original question and assisted in the answer.

1 Rookie

• 

54 Posts

February 19th, 2024 19:48

This section lists the storage options on your Precision 7760.
Your computer supports one of the following configurations:
● One M.2 2230 or M.2 2280 solid-state drive
● A combination of two M.2 solid-state drives (M.2 2230 or M.2 2280)
● A combination of four M.2 solid-state drives (one M.2 2280 and/or three M.2 2230 or M.2 2280)

https://dl.dell.com/topicspdf/precision-17-7760-laptop_owners-manual_en-us.pdf

https://dl.dell.com/topicspdf/precision-17-7760-laptop_owners-manual2_en-us.pdf

Dell's sometimes ambiguous with different specs for the same model, but it looks like you should have (4) M.2 2280 SSD slots (one under small cover, 3 on bottom left under base cover). You should at the very least have at least 2 M.2 2280 slots for even a base 7760, but when in doubt I find it's easiest just to google the motherboard for your CPU and look at pics on Ebay or whatever to see how many ports are on the board.

February 19th, 2024 20:27

@Mike1788​ Thanks for your response, however there is still no information available at to which slot is Slot 1, and etc.

1 Rookie

• 

54 Posts

February 19th, 2024 21:02

@TerranTechCenter​ Second link in the Service Manual, it lists the SSD slots. Slot 6 is the small access door for the 'Secondary SSD', Slot 3, 4 and 5 are the bottom left slots which is supposed to have the primary drive. They're all the same bus speed so slot designation is arbitrary and doesn't matter unless you're trying to find what drive is where?

5 Practitioner

• 

5K Posts

February 20th, 2024 04:13

You can access BIOS set up and take note of the slot number of the boot drive occupied.  Then installing a spare SSD to the second slot, accessing BIOS set up to take note of the slot number.  Move the spare SSD to the third slot and you should have its slot number and the remaining one.  You now know for certain and have document all the slot numbering of your system.

March 1st, 2024 16:44

The Dell Service Manual diagram shows the actual primary boot SSD as the "secondary", and the additional data SSDs as the "primary". Removing the SSDs show the "primary" SSD slots as 3, 4, 5. The "secondary" boot drive is slot 6. The marking on the motherboard for the boot "secondary" SSD shows "SSD-0", which is not helpful. Going into BIOS shows the boot drive as "SSD-0" and my data drive in what is slot 5 as "SSD-2". Dell needs to clean up this mess.

No Events found!