Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

2 Posts

July 20th, 2023 08:00

Precision 7540 - New SSD

Hello,

Somehow I got infected with a trojan virus that I could not seem to clean up so I decided to replace the SSD.  After installing the new SSD, which was the same exact model as the previous one, it shows up in the BIOS System Information screen as the M.2 PCIe SSD-0 drive, however the Primary Hard Drive is listed as (none) and it does not show up in the BIOS Boot Sequence screen as a bootable drive.  The SSD model is a Western Digital 1TB SSD PC SN730 NVMe PCIe.  Do I possibly need to load firmware in order for the drive to show up as bootable?   Any help would be definitely be appreciated.

Thanks, Paul

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

This may seem obvious, but since you didn't tell us, did you install Windows on the new drive? It won't show as bootable until there is a valid OS on it.

Use Microsoft Media Creation Tool to create the installer on a flash drive, boot from that flash drive and begin the installation process.

I wrote a detailed description of how to install Windows 10 and 11. It may help you.

Here's another description of the install process, from a Microsoft MVP.

10 Elder

• 

23.4K Posts

The drive doesn't need firmware, but a new drive is blank - it needs to have Windows loaded onto it.

2 Posts

I did attempt to install Windows, unfortunately when the installation screen showing the drive came up, I could format however there was an error message that Windows couldn't be installed on the main partition.

No Events found!