Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

8 Posts

February 2nd, 2024 23:28

Many users reporting parasitic 'System' process after recent update

I am among the 3 people in this thread who are experiencing the 'System' process using one CPU thread at 100% utilization indefinitely. It starts with a seemingly random delay - between 10-300 minutes after powering on the machine, but the process will never end. I've let it run for 3.5 days several times. We've independently identified the problem thread within the 'System' process as ntoskrnl.exe!KeInitializeApc+0x4c0 . We are using Dell Precision 5540, XPS 9520, and  XPS 9500.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem? Might anybody have experience maybe diagnosing XPERF traces? I've reinstalled Windows 11 twice and rolled back all feature and quality updates. The problem always returns. I would appreciate the community's help in this regard.

1 Rookie

• 

2 Posts

February 5th, 2024 18:52

Update #2: I've updated the graphics card (3050 Ti) driver with the latest version (551.23) in the GeForce Experience program. This seems to solve the problem. Let me know if this helps.

2 Posts

February 8th, 2024 14:50

Updating the graphics card drivers was the solution. Since then, no CPU load and, above all, no more loud fans. :)

1 Message

February 5th, 2024 08:24

I have exactly the same (ignore the CPU % it's reported incorrectly)  

It is fully occupying a core 100% of the time and shows as 20-30% of CPU time also pinning CPU at 5GHz.

This is a significant issue.

1 Rookie

• 

2 Posts

February 5th, 2024 17:04

Same problem here with the same process. I have an Inspiron 15 Plus (7510) and the process is using about 20% of the CPU all the time. In my case it's not using 100% of one core but all the cores with regular percentages. I still can't find a solution to this problem.

Update: I’ve done a clean boot and the problem was still there, but with a safe boot the problem disappears. Still trying to find what the issue is.

(edited)

1 Message

February 6th, 2024 11:25

I have 2 5540 workstations, and both are suffering by this problem. It occurs when i connected into some server. It is happening at the remote desktop , or even if i play world of tanks.  On an i9 processor, wot needs 10% cpu, 2500Mb memory and next to it 40% cpu needs that ntoskrnl with 0,1mb memory usage. There was released a windows update at 2023 dezember, ad this was installed first onto my win10-5540 at 04,01,2024, and later my second 5540-win11 got an other update at 03,02,2024, and then the second 5540 is suffring by this problem. This is not funny.

2 Posts

February 6th, 2024 14:35

Hello,

I have the same problem with my XPS 9700 and Windows 11. I am currently installing the latest GeForce driver directly by Nvidia and will see if that helps. 

Greetings

Edit:

Just as I was sending this post, the fans went quiet shortly after installation and the process calmed down. 

I will continue to monitor this. 

(edited)

3 Posts

February 6th, 2024 20:12

Same issue here with a Vostro 7500, I can confirm that the CPU usage went away after updating the nvidia driver and then rebooting

1 Message

February 6th, 2024 20:23

I had to update GeForce Experience to get the driver update to install, but after a reboot the CPU usage by System is down from 10-15% to 0.1% and the fans are quiet. Thank you!

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

February 8th, 2024 14:00

All users must go through the "Get Help Now" technical support chat agents. Click the blue Get Help Now on right to start your case.

1 Message

February 11th, 2024 19:54

Same problem here, some "ntoskrnl.exe!KeInitializeApc+0x4c0" thread in the system process.

But I don't have a Nvidia GPU.

February 13th, 2024 02:42

It only worked for me when I updated the Nvidia Drivers from GeForce Experience app, not from Dell's website.

@Juraj_VR Maybe see if there are any "critical" updates from your system from Dell? I noticed my Nvidia drivers were labelled "critical" (even though it didn't see to fix the problem, and I had to update them from GeForce Experience app)

Cheers

February 28th, 2024 14:50

Same problem on a Dell Precision 5550 with Nvidia Quadro T1000. Same solution: installing a new driver solved it (for now, didn't test for more than a minute). The old driver was removed during the installation and at that point the CPU usage of the NT kernel went down to almost zero. Thanks for sharing!

March 12th, 2024 18:12

Hello, 

The same problem with Inspiron 16 Plus 7620.

The same solution with downloading drivers from Nvidia web site.

Best regards

Gabriel

1 Rookie

• 

18 Posts

March 26th, 2024 18:45

Hi,

Can confirm the same behavior: it solves my Dell XPS 15's System process CPU issue when installed.

Doesn't solve all the performance issues tough... still a bit of a shame when you just want to look at YouTube... 😑

Thanks for sharing the solution! 👌😊

(edited)

1 Rookie

• 

1 Message

April 22nd, 2024 22:19

Same here. I think i spent 6 hours (cumulatively) trying to find this solution... cleaned the fans and fins out, repasted the heatsink, disabled 10s of services, uninstalled dell power management, tried a clean boot etc. as soon as I installed the core usage disappeared immediately, without a restart.

Disappointing that Dell did not recognise the latest driver released for the Quadro T1000.

Thankyou!

No Events found!