Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 11th, 2023 12:26

isHighlyActiveTopic

Dell Precision 7550 and 7750 System BIOS - 1.24.0 Breaks Docking Station USB C

After months of WD19S docking station not working due to a bios issue, Dell fixed it.

A new Forced windows update bios 1.24.0 now breaks USB C again.

The Docking station will only power through 1 USB not both at the same time!!!

The Laptop powers down at it can't provide enough power.

Also my screens don't work either.

Why don't dell test before release.. there is no roll back with this BIOS either so probably have wait another 6 -12 months to use the Dock and all the accessories attached.

6 Posts

August 30th, 2023 15:37

@DELL- Nat M​ Latest result is none...  My HelpDesk followed the instructions sent to downgrade BIOS, and it failed.  SO FRUSTRATED RIGHT NOW.  I hate that this thread is marked resolved.

2 Posts

August 30th, 2023 16:42

Spent 50 minutes on chat to the "Get Help now" option. First question, is this an ironic name?  Spent 50 minutes, with a Dell agent taking 10 minutes to ask me everything i have already told them.  When i told them this, they said "We have to troubleshoot first".  We did not do one piece of troubleshooting in 50 minutes.  Possibly the most painful experience of my life.  I'd rather have a colonoscopy, without any pain relief.  

@DELL- Nat M Can you please tell us, when Dell will resolve the issue they have caused.

1 Rookie

• 

18 Posts

August 30th, 2023 17:17

This should not be marked as resolved as people are having a very difficult time being able to accomplish this "Accepted Solution" 

It is not resolved if individuals have to open a case, spend an hour "troubleshooting" to be told there has to be someone else from Dell to authorize a workaround, then we have to figure out how to get that communication channel open when Dell's own website doesn't allow you to PM a Dell representative without being a certain level of community contributor or them messaging first, to then comment on the case to allow us the privilege of a workaround 2-step downgrade BIOS file that hopefully doesn't brick it further than it already is. 

Why does it take a month to release a proper fix or even a widely available workaround so we aren't all trying to figure out how to shoestring and chewing gum this all together? This is beyond ridiculous...

(edited)

14 Posts

August 31st, 2023 11:12

I can confirm that the process previously mentioned by @klunksd works, but you will have to go through Dell Support to receive the necessary BIOS update that will allow you to revert to 1.23.1. It nearly took an act of Congress for me to get it, but I did, and it works. I am now back up and running as normal. What an unnecessary ordeal. If you're still in this boat, may the odds be ever in your favor.

Community Manager

• 

2.2K Posts

August 31st, 2023 12:16

All,

New BIOS should be available on September 7th.

Note: If anything changes, we will let you know. 

(edited)

1 Rookie

• 

8 Posts

August 31st, 2023 15:30

@DELL- Nat M​ 

I have tried to go through Dell support numerous times, but since my machines are 3 weeks out of warranty I can not get the downgrade file for free. 

I need help! I did DM you as well. 

Community Manager

• 

2.2K Posts

August 31st, 2023 16:01

@JeffCKF​ Without a case number I cannot ask for the exception. I think the best option for you is to wait for the new BIOS release.

1 Rookie

• 

8 Posts

August 31st, 2023 16:16

This is asinine. I have wasted so much time on this. Maybe some fine person will DM me with a copy of the file. 

I do appreciate you replying though. 

(edited)

August 31st, 2023 19:51

I agree.  This is completely ridiculous.  First addressed this issue to supprt a few weeks ago.  Was told that a resolution would be available within 24-48 hours.  Still nothing.  If ANYONE wants to DM and make the 98.24.x BIOS "avaialble" so that we can perform the downgrade, that would be awesome...

2 Posts

September 1st, 2023 15:42

@DELL- Nat M i have a case ref, how do I dm you please?  I just need the 98.24.x BIOS please

(edited)

5 Practitioner

• 

5.1K Posts

September 1st, 2023 16:54

As customers, you also want Dell to tread carefully and not allowing everybody to have backdoor access to compromise your system firmware.  

Just like someone could use code generator to calculate your service tag to get master password and unlocking your system. 

September 3rd, 2023 19:32

Dear all same thing here.

My organization pushed BIOS 1.24.0 and I also got victimized, Dell 7550, and Dell WD19DC and only one USBC is now lighting up.

At first, I thought it was the docking station. Tried newer one same result, then started googling.

As indicated in previous posts I use the docking station for keyboard mouse and displays (which still work for me) and then I also connect the laptop directly to its own power supply. 

If this a bad idea let me know

max

(edited)

3 Posts

September 5th, 2023 15:29

@JhSpear​ looks like it is no longer marked as solved :)

5 Practitioner

• 

5.1K Posts

September 5th, 2023 15:43

This thread was marked solved with notation "For visibility", meaning so it could attract users to click on it to see the solution.  The solution was not a fix, just the information that flow back and forth between channels.  The Mod (community manager) is a liaison in communication, connecting users to Support.

At the same times, the Mod must deal with this new forums, the new transition is still in progress and many functions are not working, including contributors, tech experts, rockstars got locked out of messaging system due to stripped of ranks, so is everybody else.  Mod must initiate or opening the messaging to each user whom is requested. 

Y'all wanna kill the messenger, so be it.  Some business pays people to take the beating pobrecita !!! 

(edited)

1 Rookie

• 

2 Posts

September 5th, 2023 19:52

As many of you, I also have the issue with 1.24.1 also.  Initially I got the low power message, eventually plugging the USB-c in completely locked the laptop up. 

Dell sent a dock that did nothing. 

Eventually I downloaded the 98. and rolled back to 1.23.1. 

Good news for a brief time.  Both monitors worked but were randomly going blank, flashing off and on.  Dell tech installed a new video driver and now only one of the monitors flashes black, the other is stable.  Crazy.

Has anyone that rolled back had the flashing monitor issue.  If so, how was it resolved?  Weird that install the video driver caused one monitor to be stable.  However, if I reboot or restart the laptop the monitor that is stable can change but always at least one is stable.

Now Dell wants to send me imaged hard drive that will require 2 -3 days on my part to completely rebuilding my development environment, without any guarantee the problem will be solved.

No Events found!