Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 11th, 2023 12:26

isHighlyActiveTopic

Dell Precision 7550 and 7750 System BIOS - 1.24.0 Breaks Docking Station USB C

After months of WD19S docking station not working due to a bios issue, Dell fixed it.

A new Forced windows update bios 1.24.0 now breaks USB C again.

The Docking station will only power through 1 USB not both at the same time!!!

The Laptop powers down at it can't provide enough power.

Also my screens don't work either.

Why don't dell test before release.. there is no roll back with this BIOS either so probably have wait another 6 -12 months to use the Dock and all the accessories attached.

1 Rookie

• 

5 Posts

September 5th, 2023 20:22

Is anyone seeing the same problem happening with the Precision 7560 and the WD19DCS?  Only one USB-C light on, yellow bang on the battery icon.  I also have a yellow bang on the INTEL USB driver, (CODE 24).  Bios has been updated to 1.23 but this did not help.  I downgraded it to 1.18.  No joy.  

1 Rookie

• 

93 Posts

September 6th, 2023 16:10

I understand your frustration with the recent BIOS update causing issues with your docking station and peripherals. When a BIOS update disrupts the functionality of external devices like docking stations, it can be quite frustrating. Here are some steps you can take to address this issue:

1. Contact Dell Support:

• Reach out to Dell's customer support to report the issue. They may be aware of the problem and could be working on a solution. They can also provide guidance on any potential workarounds or fixes.
  2. Check for BIOS Updates:

• Keep an eye on Dell's official website for future BIOS updates for your Precision 7550 or 7750. Manufacturers often release BIOS updates to address compatibility and stability issues. Once a new update is available, it may resolve the problem you're experiencing.
  3. Use the Previous BIOS Version:

• If the latest BIOS update is causing significant problems and there's no immediate fix, you may want to consider reverting to the previous BIOS version. However, this can be risky, and not all systems allow for downgrading the BIOS. Check the Dell website and support documentation for instructions on BIOS recovery or rollback.
  4. Report the Issue to Dell:

• Inform Dell about the problems you're encountering with the latest BIOS update. They rely on user feedback to improve their products and may prioritize fixing the issue if it affects a significant number of users.
  5. Check Docking Station Firmware:

• Ensure that the firmware on your docking station is up to date. Sometimes, issues with docking stations can be resolved by updating their firmware to match the latest BIOS changes.
  6. Temporary Workarounds:

• While waiting for a BIOS fix, you might consider using alternative connection methods or workarounds. For instance, you could use different ports on the laptop or connect peripherals directly to the laptop instead of through the docking station.
  7. User Forums and Communities:

• Check Dell user forums and online communities to see if other users have found temporary solutions or workarounds for the same issue. Sometimes, users share their experiences and potential fixes.
  8. Regularly Check for Updates:

• Keep checking for BIOS updates and drivers for your docking station and peripherals. Dell may release a fix or updated drivers that address the compatibility issue.

It's important to remember that software and firmware updates can occasionally introduce new issues, but they are typically released to improve overall system stability and security. Dell is likely working on resolving this issue, so staying in touch with their support and monitoring their official channels is key to getting a timely solution.

1 Rookie

• 

87 Posts

September 6th, 2023 18:43

@IReallyLikePizza 

This discussion is just for Dell Precision 7X50  latest BIOS problem. Create your own new discussion about your problems. Please update back to BIOS1.23. Your problems is something else.

1 Rookie

• 

4 Posts

September 7th, 2023 07:46

Hi!

DELL released BIOS 1.25.0 today - with that BIOS version the USB-C Dock WD19DC works without problems!

Best regards,

bmwGTR

isGoodTroubleshooting

1 Rookie

• 

7 Posts

September 7th, 2023 09:36

Problem soved with 1.25

isGoodTroubleshooting

13 Posts

September 7th, 2023 13:45

@Gatto Sama​ 

With all due respect, as a newbie you come on here and post, but did you even read through the thread?!?!  I know it's 10 pages but most of what you posted is what people are complaining about:

1. Contact Dell Support:

• This is what people did through these forums and Service Tickets.  It took Dell over a week to post any updates that they were aware of the problem, and then suggested that a fix wouldn't be ready until the middle of Sept (about 6 weeks!)
  2. Check for BIOS Updates:

• See above.  We DID watch for BIOS updates but Dell told us not to expect anything until mid-Sept.
  3. Use the Previous BIOS Version:

• There are numerous post examples in this thread showing how Dell itself said that we could NOT roll back (they sometimes insert "blocks" in the BIOS that don't let you roll back if it contains critical security updates, which this one did).
  4. Report the Issue to Dell:

• Again done numerous times in this thread, other Dell forums, Dell reddit threads, and through Dell support service tickets.
  5. Check Docking Station Firmware:

• Again, same thing.  Dell actually initially blamed it on the dock and was sending out replacement docks to people, which then exhibited the same failure.  Then they tried to blame it on the hard drive and were sending out re-imaged drives to people, which of course meant re-installing and configuring all software, and those still showed the same failure.
  6. Temporary Workarounds:

• This one is a good suggestion and was tried by some, but when you are working with dual or quad monitors connected to the dock there is no way to connect them directly to the laptop.  Plus you HAD to plug in both the dock power supply and a separate laptop power supply to make the dock work at all.  So basically while your workarounds are a good suggestion, our only choice was to use the laptop as a stand-alone computer, or do a whole bunch of power/wire connections with both the laptop and dock, and that still didn't allow peripherals (including multiple monitors) to work correctly.
  7. User Forums and Communities:

• That's exactly what we did which is why this thread, as well as numerous others, along with reddit threads, exist.
  8. Regularly Check for Updates:

• Per Dell, all regular updates were stopped, and they basically told us to "live with it" until the middle of September.

I appreciate you trying to help, but pasting boilerplate responses without reading the thread history is just a waste of everyone's time.  Everything you posted was tried - that's why this thread is already 10 pages long!

@IReallyLikePizza 

If you read through the thread, there is no way to roll back to 1.23.1 without Dell creating a specific case for you.  So while it can be done, you cannot just download 1.23.1 and roll back to it.  And what you see in this thread is many people who have requested the case support but never got it, so they were stuck with the broken 1.24.0 BIOS.

As an update, someone posted that Dell has released 1.25.x as of this morning (Sept 7), but when I run Dell Command Update it does not find it.  I guess I will go looking on the ftp server ...

(edited)

Community Manager

• 

2.3K Posts

September 7th, 2023 16:38

@klunksd​ Can you let me know if the link I posted directly to 1.25.0 works? I know depending on system admin rights some users might not be able to directly go to Dell Support, but I have shared the direct link.  

Since it moved my post to the top of the thread here is the direct link to 1.25.0

I hope this helps!

Community Manager

• 

2.3K Posts

September 7th, 2023 16:40

@bmwGTR@RandolfO Thank you for confirming this worked! 

13 Posts

September 7th, 2023 17:19

@Dell-Brad L​ 

Yes that link works.  I downloaded and installed the new BIOS and everything seems to be working.  Please note that Dell CommandUpdate still doesn't find it but using your link worked fine.

Thanks!!

1 Rookie

• 

8 Posts

September 7th, 2023 18:33

Worked on 3 out of 4 PCs here. The 4th one still states that there is limited power, but I think end user was fibbing when she said she power cycled her dock. 

September 7th, 2023 18:37

Half worked for my situation.  When using 3 monitors and the laptop display, one monitor remains disconnected in display settings and another monitor resolution will not go past 1600 x 900.

Community Manager

• 

2.3K Posts

September 7th, 2023 19:28

@JeffCKF​ Can you let me know if after the dock is cycled if it changes anything? 

Community Manager

• 

2.3K Posts

September 7th, 2023 19:30

@dakodasara​ Can you let me know know models if they're Dells and what ports are in use? Or resolutions/ports? I would like to relay this and see if there are some more things we can try. 

September 7th, 2023 19:35

@Dell-Brad L​ One model, Precision 7550.  This issue persists through a WD19 DCS or WD19S USB-C docks.

1 Rookie

• 

18 Posts

September 7th, 2023 21:30

Continuing to have issues on Precision 7550 with WD19DCS dock on 1.25.0 BIOS. No ethernet, and no external monitor. It's not even trying to detect them, they only work when plugged into the back of the laptop. We have no backup docks to test with the same model. Both lights are on when the dock is plugged into the laptop now, but only USB peripherals work.

No Events found!