Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

21 Posts

January 30th, 2024 05:40

Cursor Lag When Using Nvidia A2000 On Precision 5560

I am experiencing a cursor lag when using Nvidia A2000 on a Precision 5560 laptop.

WHEN an application utilising the Nvidia A2000 GPU is running AND I stop using the trackpad or mouse for a few seconds THEN attempt to move the cursor, there is a long delay of up to 5 seconds before the cursor reacts.

The only way to prevent the lag from occurring is to keep the cursor constantly moving. This is frustrating and counter productive.

The easiest way to reproduce the issue is to simply open the Nvidia Control Panel and stop using the cursor for a few seconds and then attempt to move the cursor.

I noticed that some other users had experienced this issue if an HDMI cable was not properly connected, however I am not using an external display. I have also tried connecting an external display and disconnecting to see if that might make a difference but no.

There have been at least 2 BIOS and 1 Nvidia update since this issue began so I'm not sure what if any driver caused the change in behaviour.

Is there a recommended troubleshooting path for this issue?

DELL Precision 5560, i7 11800H, Nvidia A2000 4GB, 32GB RAM, Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (512GB free space)

Windows 10 Pro, Version 22H2, Build 19045.3930

Nvidia 31.0.15.4609, A10

Thanks

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

February 27th, 2024 19:37

Possibly a Power settings issue?

Open Device Manager and under USB, disable "Allow PC to turn off..." for each USB entry that has a Power Management tab. Then do the same for all Human Interface Devices listed that have a Power Management tab. 

While in the NVidia Control Panel, click the option to Manage 3D settings in left column. Then scroll down in right column to Power Management and set it to "prefer max performance".

Reboot and see if that helps...

1 Rookie

• 

21 Posts

March 9th, 2024 10:41

@RoHe​ Thank you for your response.

I disabled the Power Management for each item in Device Manager for USB and Human Interface Devices.

Nvidia Control Panel > 3D settings > Manage 3D settings > right column displays 2 tabs Global Settings and Program Settings, with no reference to "prefer max performance".

However I chose this option instead:

-

Nvidia Control Panel > 3D settings > Adjust image settings with preview > right column has 3 radio buttons, I selected Use my preference emphasizing: Performance

-

Following a reboot, I don't appear to have any lag on my cursor.

Thanks

(edited)

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

March 9th, 2024 20:12

Glad you got it resolved.

You should be able to see Manage 3D settings>power management mode on the Global Settings tab in the NVidia Control Panel, but you probably don't have to change it now, if the problem seems to be fixed.

(edited)

1 Rookie

• 

21 Posts

March 10th, 2024 07:22

@RoHe​ Thanks for the follow up and the screenshot, yes I do see the option there. Thanks for pointing it out. 

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

March 10th, 2024 22:57

You're welcome...

1 Rookie

• 

7 Posts

April 17th, 2024 16:04

Hello, I ended up opening a SR with Dell about this and they sent me on a wild goose chase about Dell OEM image, pulling logs and all this extracurricular stuff that didn't solve the problem.  I finally got my hands on one of these problematic machines, and what I found is that as of 4/10 Dell has produced a new NVIDIA and BIOS drivers.  All I had to do was run Dell Command Update to pull the latest and greatest drivers, and that seemed to clear the hideous lag out of the precision 5560.  I just wish Dell did a better job at publishing and testing drivers to prevent others from having to go on a wild goose chase for 4 months before a driver is published.  If anyone else is experiencing this, hope this little nugget of info helps.  

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

April 17th, 2024 19:04

Glad you got it resolved...

No Events found!