Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

1 Rookie

• 

14 Posts

April 11th, 2024 15:04

T7600/7610/7910 Users, I found a Solution to the Heat Problem!

For those with any of the above mentioned workstations who have had issues with mass storage HDD's running hot due to inadequate fan placement for heat dissipation, I have found a solution. I have also found a nice modification for overall airflow within the case in general. First, the HDD's. I have a T7910  with 2 WD Black 8TB drives, and 2 HGST 18 TB drives in the lower bays, and I also have the 4 SSD kit in the 5.25 bay above with 3 Samsung 2TB SSD's and one 4 TB. Those WD Black Drives were running pretty hot using the tiny Dell exhaust fans which made the HGST drives ( which normally run cooler ) run pretty hot as well. In addition, the SSD's were affected by the heat rising from the WD drives, and those little fans provided in the Dell kit provided no relief, so I had an idea. I pulled two Noctua 4 pin fans from an old PC, one 140mm, and one 120mm, and purchased a 12v USB splitter adapter and attached both fans to the front grill, using twist ties! LOL!  Yeah hilarious, but it worked!  I suppose I could have just bought a couple of USB fans , but those two  Noctua fans are high quality PWM level fans, and they were able to force enough air over those HDD's that the temps dropped from 45-50 to 33 on the WD drives, 30 or below on the HGST drives, and well below 30 for the SSD's. As for the case in general, I simply put a couple of USB fans over the back vents to create better exhaust.

No Responses!
No Events found!