Start a Conversation

Unsolved

FT

1 Rookie

• 

2 Posts

April 27th, 2024 20:52

T7400 boot from M.2 SSD

Have a Precision T7400 running Win 10 Pro for Workstations.  Objective is to boot a a M.2 SSD connected to a PCIe slot.  The OS has already been cloned to the new M.2.  I do not see the drive listed in BIOS.   How can I get this boot to work on this old hardware?

1 Rookie

• 

14 Posts

April 29th, 2024 03:29

It won't work. I had a T7400 a few years back and tried the same thing. Bios has no option for pcie boot and neither does the boot menu. Although, I had some SSD's plugged into a pcie to SATA adapter and all of the connected drives were recognized as USB drives and since the boot menu has a USB option, I decided to plug my OS Drive ( SSD ) into the pcie card and entered the boot menu and there it was! so I chose that USB option and it worked!! However, it wasn't a long term practical option as I wasn't going to tap 12 until the boot menu opened every time I turned my computer on.

1 Rookie

• 

2 Posts

April 29th, 2024 23:20

Thanks for the reply.  You confirmed exactly what I had already figured was true.  Just wanted a second opinion.  I do have a SATA SSD as the boot drive and that is fine.  The M.2 in a PCEI slot is found and I can use it as a standard drive.  SO that's how I'll move forward.

Thanks again.

6 Professor

• 

7.5K Posts

April 30th, 2024 00:29

@fg-tss-nm.com​ 

Just make sure 2 boot drives aren't installed with the same OS, Win10 or 11.  If there is, Microsoft has the OS programmed to go BSOD after a certain amount of time.  When I tried having 2 boot drives with Win10 (2 different versions) that's what happened.  So I have to use 2 hot swap bays with switches.  (I haven't used M.2.)

(edited)

5 Practitioner

• 

5K Posts

April 30th, 2024 04:07

It's possible to boot from NVMe SSD connected to a PCIe x4 slot.  Just simply make a CLOVER usb and keep it always plug-in to a usb port of the computer.  I wrote some instructions a couple years ago when I first joined the community if you want to search for it. 

No Events found!