Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A1

1 Rookie

• 

3 Posts

April 4th, 2024 10:05

T5500 just turns off

My T5500 has just started turning off after about 10-15 minutes use.  No shutdown screen or warning just like the plug has been pulled out on it.  It will not turn on again for a few minutes again once you have unplugged it.

I was worried it may be something overheating in the PSU or elsewhere so I've had the whole unit apart and vacuumed all signs of dust away but it still shuts down.

4 Operator

• 

1.1K Posts

April 4th, 2024 11:38

It shouldn't be the case , but just to rule out one possible factor (  even if i don't think it's related at all ), please change the cmos battery ( if it's old )

This said, try this

How to Run a Power Supply Unit Self Test On a Dell Desktop or All-in-One Computer | Dell US

to check if the psu is ok

(edited)

6 Professor

• 

7.5K Posts

April 5th, 2024 03:25

In agreement with mazzinia - either the battery or the PSU.

1 Rookie

• 

3 Posts

April 5th, 2024 16:22

@mazzinia_​ Cheers there, tried both.
PSU LED and fan both running solidly when I hold the PSU test button.
Changed CMOS battery (old one was still 3V) and.......

Still randomly shuts down instantly with no warning as before.

6 Professor

• 

7.5K Posts

April 5th, 2024 23:46

A bad PSU on its way out can still spin the fans when the test button is pushed.

4 Operator

• 

1.1K Posts

April 7th, 2024 12:30

It could be the psu rail going to the gpu, that acts up and causes to think there's an overload

1 Rookie

• 

3 Posts

April 8th, 2024 17:59

@mazzinia_​ Would that cause the PSU to not be able to power up again until it's been unplugged for five minutes?

6 Professor

• 

7.5K Posts

April 8th, 2024 22:06

I don't know what component in a PSU does it, but it sounds like it's on its way out.  There's no user serviceable parts inside.

(edited)

4 Operator

• 

1.1K Posts

April 10th, 2024 12:11

@appledene.165​ the 5 minutes hints at something not good and on its way out

There's another option : overheating ( with the 5 minutes required to go under the thermal cutoff limit )

No Events found!