Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

4 Posts

March 17th, 2024 09:18

T3600 - USB Boot from Windows Installation Media issues

Bios: A18, 25/06/2019

The Windows 10 disk became unbootable after failed upgrade.

Using a WindowsToGo drive, I was able to recover the data, and wanted to proceed to do a fresh install.

I created a bootable USB media drive using the Windows Media Creation tool. But the drive does not start the Windows installation on the machine. I tested the drive on another machine and there it boots into the windows setup screens.

UEFI boot from USB:

I get the Windows Logo
After a couple of seconds, random colors on top of the screen
Machine restarts itself
Again Windows Logo, after a couple of seconds, random colors on top of the screen

So I get stuck in this endless loop.

Legacy boot from USB:

Black 'DOS' UI
Windows Boot Manager => Windows Failed to start0xc0000017
There isn't enough memory available to create a ramdisk device
Tap Enter, select Windows Setup => same
Tap Enter, Select Memory Diagnostics=> No issues

So also here I'm unable to start the Windows Setup.

Looking up the 0xc0000017 error and potential solutions, I have not found anything that worked.

• tried the `bcdedit /enum {badmemory}` fix; but did not work
  • tested all the memory, and ran diagnostics
  • removed all but 1 Dimm; added the other back again
  • reverted the BIOS to A13 and tried all options again

I actually did get a 32-bit installation (from DVD) onto the machine now, and restored BIOS back to A18 but I'm still getting the same errors with the USB stick. The hardware all seems to be fine, I just can not get the 64-bit windows installation onto the machine.

6 Professor

• 

7.5K Posts

March 18th, 2024 00:18

@rlarno​ 

Try replacing the size 2032 CMOS battery and we'll go from there.  When I had a bad battery, I kept getting BSOD.  Reload wouldn't work either.  Bad batteries cause many problems because it affects BIOS.

Both links go to the Microsoft site:

Download Windows 10 Disc Image (ISO File)

Download Windows 10

(edited)

1 Rookie

• 

4 Posts

March 17th, 2024 10:58

Follow up: 

Created the boot media using Rufus.ie tool, same issues. Legacy boot and UEFI boot.

Used a different USB stick, same issues

Now trying to create a 64-bit Windows 8.1 USB boot disk, if I can get that onto the machine, I hope I can upgrade to Windows 10 64-bit that way.

Update: installing 64-bit Windows 8.1 worked.
Yet I then attempt to install Windows 10, using the Win10_22H2_EnglishInternational_x64v1.iso I got using rufus.
Even got a product key for the installation.

And again it fails, after reboot, the setup seems to start, but like the EUFI boot from the USB, the screen freezes.

0xC1900101 - 0x20017
The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during BOOT operation

https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=528892

Would I need to install the drivers of the video card before? Its an Asus RTX 2060.

(edited)

1 Rookie

• 

4 Posts

March 19th, 2024 19:03

What?! I can't believe it, but that actually worked, just replacing the 2032 CMOS battery with a new one.
Restarted the Windows 10 installation from the Windows 8.1 running on the machine, and it worked immediately.

Thank you so much. You are a Rockstar indeed!

(edited)

6 Professor

• 

7.5K Posts

March 20th, 2024 23:56

@rlarno​ 

I'm glad it worked and thanks for the compliment!!  😎

No Events found!