Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 17th, 2022 03:00

Precision 7920 with RHEL 8 reinstallation problems

Hello,

I bought a 7920 with RHEL 8 Workstation installed. Pretty quickly I realized the factory configured /root partition at 54GB was not large enough. You can't shrink other XFS partitions to make room for /root to grow, so I decided to just do a fresh install and re-configure partitions to suit my needs. I made a RHEL 8.6 boot USB (via RedHat iso) and reinstalled the OS. The installation went fine but the machine won't boot.

I can get to the grub menu and edit boot parameters to show debug info, but it goes by so fast I can't really see where it's hanging. It appears to run through the loading process then the screen goes black. Some times I get the Dell logo along with a RedHat logo and a small circular loading graphic, but the login window never appears...just a black screen. I have an NVIDIA RTX A6000 graphics card and assume it will default to VGA mode if the NVDIDIA drivers aren't yet installed (?).

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jack

3 Posts

November 17th, 2022 14:00

After trying several different re-installs and BIOS changes that didn't work, I finally selected the RHEL installer "Troubleshooting" menu item. In that section there's an option to install RHEL in "basic graphics mode". That did the trick. Now it boots and I can proceed with installing the NVIDIA driver, etc.

• 

25.2K Posts

November 17th, 2022 04:00

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution. In the meantime, you may also receive assistance or suggestions from the community members.

11 Posts

November 17th, 2022 14:00

The workstation Precision have the security ship trust platform module. Only text mode/shell mode work when driver is not authorize by kernel. I suggest read documentation of NVIDIA. How to install the driver linux of NVIDIA with TPM enabled ?

• 

25.2K Posts

November 17th, 2022 23:00

Hello, I am Muktesh the case owner, I am writing you as I wanted to check if your system is working fine and we can close the case, please feel free to reach, thanks.

3 Posts

November 18th, 2022 02:00

Hello Muktesh. Yes, it's working fine now. Thanks for your help.

• 

25.2K Posts

November 18th, 2022 03:00

Glad that this issue was resolved !!

No Events found!