Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

1 Rookie

• 

4 Posts

April 19th, 2024 20:16

Precision 7920 does not POST after Memory Upgrade

I have this older Precision 7920 Tower with 128 GB RAM on dual Xeon 6138, and I thought I boost up the memory first to 256 GB and then to 512 GB.

I try to do everything by the book, but what a nightmare!

1. First, I upgraded to the latest BIOS.
  2. I checked what is currently installed, which is 4x32GB Samsung M386A4G40DM0-CPB.
  3. Get myself 4x32 GB Samsung modules with the same part number.
  4. Check the manual how the slots should be populated.
  5. Added the new memories. DIMM1-2 on each CPU was occupied. I filled DIMM3-4 (white) on each CPU according to the manual.

Tried to boot, but the computer will not POST.

White power LED, black screen, no Dell logo. Left it for several hours due to the infamous slow memory check, but still nothing.

I tried resetting the CMOS, reboot and waited a couple of hours. Still nothing.

Thought maybe the modules are faulty so I removed them all and reinstalled pairwise to a total of 64 GB (one module for each CPU) and the computer boot up without any problem with all modules.

Put the modules in an Asus Z10PE-D16 WS and they work fine.

The modules are all same part number and apparently work well individually, but not together in the 7920. Huh!?

Also tried putting the new modules in DIMM7-8. Same issue. No boot.

What to do? Anyone, any idea? Crying blood as I am out of ideas.

1 Rookie

• 

39 Posts

April 19th, 2024 21:50

Not the most likely solution, but try to blow out the memory slots with an air duster / can of compressed air. Sometimes dust gets in the memory slot and prevents it from communicating correctly.

Check the manual on how your 8x 23GB memory modules should be slotted.

https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/en-nl/oth-xlt7920/precision_7920_om_pub/memory-configuration?guid=guid-ce1561c8-88a9-45e3-bc3b-762cbb37e073&lang=en-us

5 Practitioner

• 

5K Posts

April 19th, 2024 21:57

Remove OEM modules and test with new memory modules only to see if the system will accept them.  Then OEM can be added back.

Memory configuration with DIMM slot locations for Precision 7920 tower.

https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/en-us/oth-xlt7920/precision_7920_om_pub/memory-configuration?guid=guid-ce1561c8-88a9-45e3-bc3b-762cbb37e073&lang=en-us

1 Rookie

• 

4 Posts

April 19th, 2024 22:01

@TheQuickFox​ Thanks for quick reply. I don't think it is dust. Always blow before install. The "wiggeling technique" doesn't help either. Also, I've put them in exactly like the manual. That is 1, 2, 3 and 4 on each CPU. Double checked and tripple checked.

Tried now booting with five modules, which not particularly surprising doesn't work.

1 Rookie

• 

4 Posts

April 19th, 2024 22:06

Btw, how long does the first boot with memory check supposed to take after installing 256 GB? After how many minutes can I call it a failiure? It is very stupid design with no feedback.

1 Rookie

• 

4 Posts

April 20th, 2024 22:08

@Chino de Oro​ I've done that. Tried all the modules pairwise. There is nothing wrong with the new memories and the system accepts them individually. They all have the same part number.

I've now managed to get up to seven modules installed on the mobo and boot into windows (after a lot of trail and fails), but after adding the eight it won't boot. Period. I also tried adding seven, boot, shutdown, replace one module, boot, shutdown and then use the module that the system just booted with in the eight slot, only to fail.

I reckon either the socket or the CPU is deffective!?

Otherwise, this system is superwired. Did a full diagnostics with memory test (6 modules) with a successfull result and no errors. Awesome, except when I close the test, the computer refused to boot up again. Had to cut the power and do a couple of power cycles , before it came back up. It seems to be totally random.

Also in CPU-Z don't report timings table for the modules. Is this normal?

No Events found!