Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

12 Posts

April 11th, 2024 21:39

Precision 3650 Tower PSU upgrade | Things to watch out for

Greetings to everyone!

My Precision 3650 MT has a 300w power supply (model CN-0X7CXN-ABW00 300W 80 PLUS GOLD -I will provide a photo of it). 

I upgraded the CPU from a 65W i5-10600 to an i7-11700 (65W also) and it all seem to work ok, except when I connect external hard drives to the system I notice some delays to otherwise normal system response.

Since I was thinking of buying a dedicated GPU I went out and bought a third party PSU (G800 Gold 80 Plus Gold ATX Power Supply Unit-Cooler Master - if you need further details look it up here ), thinking that this 300w PSU might be the problem.

I came upon one or two things I'd like you guys to help me out, since I am an amateur pc builder and I might do something wrong. 

The new power unit fits perfectly in the chassis. But a friend told me that Dell uses a 24-pin power connector with different power delivery scheme that is incompatible with other typical 3d party units' 24-pin connectors. 

You guys are my best shot for knowledgeable information. Could you please help me out with this, because I don't want to do any damage to the motherboard.

The question is: do I need any connector adapter to use this new PSU or can I just plug it in? The 24-pin connector of my new PSU snags just fine into the motherboard port.

Another problem is that this new unit lacks a power connector -I really can't name it, so I'll upload a photo for you). I really don't know what exactly this connects to -probably the power button or DVD-writer but I can't tell for sure. It comes right after the last sata connector but uses only two of the four cables of it. Can you tell me if there's a suitable adapter to use with my new PSU since this has no such connector. Fyi the connectors included with my PSU are:
ATX 24 Pin Connectors: 1, EPS 4+4 Pin Connectors: 1, EPS 8 Pin Connector: 1, SATA Connectors: 6, Peripheral 4 Pin Connectors: 3, PCI-e 6+2 Pin Connectors: 4. Is there a way I could use another connector adapter (instead of a sata>to-required-connector) and what kind?

So, guys what do you think? Will I be able to use this PSU safely with my Dell Precision or not? 
Thank you all for any help. I am truly obliged...

PS. Is there anything else you think I might be missing? 

5 Practitioner

• 

5K Posts

April 12th, 2024 01:59

Your friend is correct.  Dell uses different power scheme for many Precision model that use 24-pin power distribution board.  Your system, however, is blessing with a standard ATX 24-pin power connector.  You can connect the 24-pin from new PSU directly to the motherboard without an adapter.

For the little connector in your picture, it's a slimline SATA power connector for your optical drive.  The new power supply does not have it.  You must source an adapter cable for slimline if you are using an optical drive.

1 Rookie

• 

12 Posts

April 12th, 2024 09:17

@Chino de Oro

Thank you! I will try to make the transition and verify your solution for others to benefit from it!

Once again, truly thankful to you! It's the second time you offer your help (two out of two help requests I posted) and I can't but mention it!

Take care!

PS. Update: You were totally right! Everything worked as expected! Thank you, once again...

(edited)

5 Practitioner

• 

5K Posts

April 12th, 2024 09:18

Glad to hear that everything is working out for you.

1 Rookie

• 

12 Posts

April 12th, 2024 09:21

To other users of a Dell Precision 3650 MT that want to upgrade their 300W (or other) power supply unit, rest assured that this G800 Gold 800W (80+ Gold) PSU fits perfectly and works like a charm with an Intel i7-11700 (65W) CPU. Just watch out and by in advance this Sata 15-pin male to Sata 6-pin slimline power adapter Chino De Oro mentioned above, if your system has a DVD-Writer unit like mine's.

No Events found!