Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

12 Posts

February 23rd, 2024 12:21

PRECISION 3650 CPU UPGRADE | Things to consider

Greetings to all!

I have a Precision 3650 Tower workstation with an i5-10600 (65w) and a 300 watt PSU, 2TB ssd/2TB hdd/dvd-rw and coolers. I am thinking of upgrading my CPU to an i7-11700 (65w, box) and I wonder if you can give me any advice and pinpoint things to consider prior to upgrading. 

First questions that come to mind is:

1. Should I upgrade the PSU before upgrading the CPU? Or there's a chance I'll be able to boot and do the change  later (because I don't have a spare PSU now)? If I go on without upgrading the PSU, is there a chance I might damage the new CPU? I've done a bit of research and have an idea about that but I would like your thoughts, too.

2. I am thinking of making the replacement myself. Is there anything I should be cautious of that is any actions I should take prior to replacing the CPU and booting up? 

3. My PC is under warranty (till Sep2024). Does anyone know if that replacement will void my warranty? Will that restrict me from extending it? How can one fix it? Send the unit to DELL to make the switch?

Any viable information and user experience is much appreciated. 

Many thanks in advance to anyone who will share his knowledge. 

Take care, all of you!

5 Practitioner

• 

5K Posts

February 23rd, 2024 13:54

1.  If upgrade CPU has the same TDP of 65w, there is no need for PSU upgrade.

2.  The processor removal process is very much straight forward and so is the installation.  Boxed CPU would have included with cooler and thermal paste.  Update to the latest BIOS, although it is not needed.

3.  The processor replacement does not void the system warranty.  But it does not cover the new processor or any damages caused by the process.  If your system is eligible for warranty renewal, you should not have any problem to extend it.  Unless Dell revised the policy, moderator may provide additional input.

(edited)

1 Rookie

• 

12 Posts

February 24th, 2024 10:14

@Chino de Oro​ | Yes, I specifically went for the same TDP CPU only an i7 with a better GPU unit. Thank you so much for taking the time to reply! I will contact Dell for update on the warranty, in due time. 

1 Rookie

• 

12 Posts

February 27th, 2024 20:03

@Chino de Oro​ | I'd like to confirm that you were correct, my friend. Everything went smoothly except for the replacement of the enclosed Intel cooler (I got the boxed version of the i7-11700) that could not be fitted because of Dell's 'proprietary' cooler/motherboard combo design. Dell's cooler seems more robust though, so I think it will not be a problem. We'll see.

All in all, thank you once again for your kind help. I hope others will benefit from it as well.

Take good care! 

No Events found!