Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

1 Rookie

• 

21 Posts

March 12th, 2024 01:46

precision 3630 - dell U4320Q black screen issue

I found my Precision 3630 caused a black screen sometimes for no reason. I don't know when it started. It probably started after the Windows 11 upgrade, but I am not sure about this.

Today I plugged in a Dell U4320Q monitor, and to my surprise, this happened very often.  This monitor worked properly with my Thinkpad W540. 

When it happened, it seemed the connection was lost. The screenshots are attached here. After a while, it came back again automatically. It seems that if the screen is busy with changing contents, it will happen more often.

All system updates are installed.  Only two cables are connected to the monitor: power cable and a HDMI cable.

1 Rookie

• 

21 Posts

March 12th, 2024 01:56

I installed the monitor driver. I also downloaded the monitor firmware update. When I ran it, I got an error.

Do I need to run the firmware update from a USB drive?

6 Professor

• 

7.5K Posts

March 12th, 2024 02:25

A couple of our Rockstars that have been on the forum longer than me prefer the USB method for updating BIOS.

Have you tried any other connection methods with your monitor, or try a different monitor on the 3630 with same connection method?

I have a 3620.  2 different Dell monitors cut out and in when plugged in HDMI, but work fine on DP.

The 3630 was introduced back in 2018.  The size 2032 battery may need changing or testing.

1 Rookie

• 

21 Posts

March 12th, 2024 16:09

how can I update the monitor firmware? plug the USB into the monitor directly? 

"I have a 3620.  2 different Dell monitors cut out and in when plugged in HDMI, but work fine on DP." --------  My setup is very similar. I will try DP. 

EDIT:

I found the Firmware Update Instruction pdf. I know how to update its firmware now.

(edited)

6 Professor

• 

7.5K Posts

March 12th, 2024 23:37

Please pardon any confusion.  By the time I got to this sentence, "Do I need to run the firmware update from a USB drive?," I thought you meant BIOS.

Glad you found the firmware pdf.

1 Rookie

• 

2 Posts

March 13th, 2024 04:51

Where did you find the Firmware Update Instruction pdf?

<Spam link removed.>

(edited)

No Events found!