Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 6th, 2024 06:07

Power supply Dell 5810 to Rtx 3060

Hi all,

I am trying to connect a new Rtx 3060 to a dell 5810 tower with 685w psu. This has been done before by many others. 

I have searched various posts but can’t find what I need. 

I have the standard pcie cable with two six pin male plugs, that is no use.

I need a single 6+2 plug into rtx3060. No-one except Amazon sell a suitable cable and I don’t trust what you buy on there or eBay. 

I have decided to make my own from the original cable and a standard 8pin-6+2 pin cable. The plan is to wire male 8 pin into psu module and use 6+2 pin with standard pcie wiring (basically each wire from 6+2 lines up with 8 pin at psu). 

What I need to know is: does the dell pcie psu output (black 8pin) have standard wiring? Many say it’s different to other computers. I have tried to measure 12v outputs with a multimeter but none show any voltage. I can’t find any wiring diagrams on dell site or elsewhere. 

I don’t want to blow a new expensive card, and need some help. 

7 Technologist

• 

12.1K Posts

March 6th, 2024 18:02

For what it's worth I have bought a number of adapter cables at Amazon and have yet to experience a problem. And in my mind it is far riskier making your own cable than buying one that is meant for the purpose.

2 Posts

March 7th, 2024 04:23

@JOcean​ ok I will have to do that. I found hopefully right cable on moddiy in USA. 

I found the pcie power outlet is dell specific (12v outputs not in standard pin location so not possible to directly connect card to 6+2 pin).

I  also looked into PSU replacement but dell have their own 24 pin to mobo with different voltages and wires. Also dual PSU wont work due to dell wiring (which they don’t give to public). Wonder how many expensive GPUs and parts have been blown by this dell wiring?

Great for dell, bad for the end user. I will move to a non proprietary brand next time. 

Someone on reddit in Canada also sells a PSU card to convert standard PSU output to standard PCIE/gpu power supply. 

5 Practitioner

• 

5K Posts

March 7th, 2024 15:22

There are cables that connects from PSU power distribution board to 8-pin + 6-pin for video card from COMeap.  There also are standard dual 6-pin female to one 8-pin male PCIe video cables available from COMeap as well.

1 Message

March 7th, 2024 17:04

FWIW My 980GTX had come with 6 pin to 8 pin cable.  I've bought several with no issues.  For the dell you can either a) buy  a standard PSU that fits and use a 24pin adapter (I've used them fine) I have a precision here which uses a 1000watt Thermal take Modular PSU and an adapter and it works well.  I also have my son's optiplex and I use a 6pin to 8 pin adapter from Newegg with no issue for his 3060

No Events found!