Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

1 Rookie

• 

2 Posts

April 5th, 2024 13:10

Issues when trying to upgrade RAM to 128GB for the T7920. It will not boot.

Hello, 

I am encountering a puzzling issue with my DELL T7920 Workstation PC equipped with 2 CPUs. Whenever I attempt to add DDR4 8x16GB (2666 MHz) RAM sticks, the system fails to boot up. Instead, the LED indicator displays 2 amber flashes, followed by a brief pause, then 5 white flashes with a longer pause, repeating endlessly. These indicators typically suggest either an invalid memory configuration or faulty RAM sticks.

Consulting the owner's manual multiple times, I verified that the memory configuration for the 128GB (8x16GB sticks) are indeed the configurations I am implementing in the DIMM slots. Additionally, I have confirmed the functionality of the RAM sticks by testing them in another PC, ruling out any defects.

I also noted an anomaly in the default memory configuration before the upgrade attempt. The PC was initially running on DDR4 64GB, with a mix of 4x8GB and 2x16GB sticks, which is not following the uniform RAM sizes, that appear in the manual.

Despite all this troubleshooting efforts and guidance from the owner's manual, the issue persists. I've attempted various memory configurations, including the placement of a single 16GB stick in each of the four memory banks in the DIMM slots, furthest away from the CPU, as per another potential configuration outlined in the manual. However, this one also resulted in the same recurring LED flashes upon boot attempts.

The problem remains unresolved. Any insights or assistance offered would be immensely appreciated.

Thanks!

2 Intern

• 

207 Posts

April 5th, 2024 13:33

First, you need to make sure your memory has ECC,
Then you need to replace the higher frequency memory, this model of host if it is after October 2020, it does not support 2666 frequency memory!

1 Rookie

• 

2 Posts

April 5th, 2024 16:07

@hnyr28​ 

Thanks for looking into it,

The computer was purchased in 2019, and my memory has ECC, however still no boot. 

No Events found!