Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

1 Rookie

• 

5 Posts

March 10th, 2024 14:22

Diy custom T7910 build

Hi! I wanted a powerful pc for cad and astrophotography processing. I bought a dell T7910 board (the other options were chinese ones, and I want a reliable motherboard), Dual Xeon 2699v3, 2x32gb 2133 ram, Tesla K40 (not arrived yet) and a Quadro M4000. Cooling is done with the Cooler Master Mater liquid 120. The PSU is a Qoltec 1600w 80+ Gold . I want it to be wall mounted. Yesterday I put together the sytem, but I wasnt able to start it. The power button was missing (because I only bought the motherboard). Can I jump start it? (I tried it in warious pins but it did not work) Is there a diy method to install a switch? I found some switch on eBay with a panel and many usb ports, but it is costly. If there is no oher way I will buy it. (It would arrive in a month) But Id like to use my pc as soon as possible. Is there any DIY method to add a switch, or jump start it? 

5 Practitioner

• 

5K Posts

March 10th, 2024 16:16

Take note that Dell uses intrusion switch on those workstation.  It won't turn on if the switch detects the side panel is opened.  Must depress the switch circuit to closed position.

Power distribution is proprietorship design.  Be mindful it isn't a standard ATX.  DIY is costly at the end.  Reference to user manual for components.

https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/en-us/precision-t7910-workstation/precision_t7910_om_pub/system-board-components?guid=guid-6ee3ff83-7940-43e3-a4a6-be34eecc59cc&lang=en-us

(edited)

1 Rookie

• 

5 Posts

March 10th, 2024 19:48

@Chino de Oro​ oh I see! So I need to enable the two switch to power on the motherboard.

Take note that Dell uses intrusion switch on those workstation.  It won't turn on if the switch detects the side panel is opened.  Must depress the switch circuit to closed position.

Power distribution is proprietorship design.  Be mindful it isn't a standard ATX.  DIY is costly at the end.  Reference to user manual for components.

https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/en-us/precision-t7910-workstation/precision_t7910_om_pub/system-board-components?guid=guid-6ee3ff83-7940-43e3-a4a6-be34eecc59cc&lang=en-us

1 Rookie

• 

5 Posts

March 10th, 2024 19:51

I want to make a pc house like the one in the image, so size isnt a problem. The ATX case was too small for this, and the full tower case was too big in size to my room, so I decided to make the whole case like that to save space, and this way I could even get some good additional cooling for the components

6 Professor

• 

7.5K Posts

March 11th, 2024 02:16

It's probably in the manual, but you're also going to need a power distribution board.  Search "precision 7910 power distribution board" and they're easily found on eBay.

5 Practitioner

• 

5K Posts

March 11th, 2024 02:36

The wall idea is nice, any DIY project has its own unique reasoning.  Just want to point out the power issue.

There are some inlaid computer desk for DIY builder as well.   

1 Rookie

• 

5 Posts

March 11th, 2024 08:07

Sadly or not, I dont have space for it to be built in my desk. Also I would need a new desk for it. (I have made a custom desk to my room, its about 400mm wide but more than 2meters long. Thats why full towers will not work. ) Its easier just to hang it on the wall. 
So just to make everything clear, I need two switches right? I have found some good deals on Ebay. About the intrusion switch: I did not find a dedicated switch to this exact motherboard, but I found some what looks exactly the same whats in the documantation. 
Here is the two: 

5 Practitioner

• 

5K Posts

March 11th, 2024 18:12

I have another thought contributing to your DIY project, if you do not take advantage of all the flexbay from a T7910, you could get a whole system of T7810 for around $200 USD and stripping it down for your project.  At the least, you will know exactly how each components connected.  Besides the wall mount chassis, all OEM components could be re-arranged and having all needed parts at once.  Fans and lightings can be added at the end.

It could be a more difficulty to source parts than a whole system. 

(edited)

1 Rookie

• 

5 Posts

March 12th, 2024 08:51

@Chino de Oro​ That sounds logical, but I really want to keep this in budget. Buying parts what I cant use afterwards, and I only can get money back if I sell it.. too much hassle and its uncertain that I will even be able to sell it. If I cant use a part, it will be just junk (at least to me). Until now all the parts (2 ram, 2 processor, 2 aio, the PSU, the MB, an M.2 ssd adapter , and the two video card) did not cost more than 550 usd, with 20% tax and shipping from US to Hungary. Most of the time it cost more than the part, but it worth it . So its pretty good now. I want to make this project from as little money as possible (without sacrificing quality and the necessary strength of the parts) so I could start my next project right after that. So what I need now is to know what should I buy. Is the two part I attached what I exactly need? 

5 Practitioner

• 

5K Posts

March 12th, 2024 19:19

The front I/O board might be the right part but the intrusion switch is not.  If you can locate the header on motherboard and short the correct pins, you won't need the actual switch.  

3 Apprentice

• 

432 Posts

March 15th, 2024 08:02

I've removed my intrusion switch and disbaled in BIOS on my T7910 with no issues and can remove the side cover and boots ok, but with my new T7920 it's a no go!!

No Events found!